1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to mount a light on my "house-pistol" (Kimber Classic Custom I). I've narrowed it down to either the Surefire X200 or the P101/111 series. Does anyone have any experience with either light? The X200 seemed like the way to go but very early on in their production one of my shooting friends bought one and after a few hundred rounds it broke. Is this common? It got me worried and leaning towards the P101/111 series.

Thoughts, experiences?

Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think the P's have a better beam pattern than the X200a's (no experience w/ the B's). The X's have a much whiter light but many people don't like the highly focused, diamond shaped hot spot and lack of a real "halo". The P's have a nice hot spot and still allow visibility around the center. The P's also have the option of the 120 lumen lamp. :cool: I'm not sure how easy it is to fix an X200, in theory they should never burn out, but the P series lamps are cheap and easy to replace and do last a long time.

Having said all that I am selling my P107 and keeping my X200. The only things that tipped the scales was that I like the X switch a bit better and (the big plus) I can swap it over to my Glocks in about 1 minute. :)

·
Registered
568 Posts
If you're committed to your current Kimber, I think the BEST (not the most cost-effective) way to go is to have a Dawson rail mounted and get the Surefire Military light. That way you can have the DG pressure switch which is not even available for the x200 for some odd reason.

The one thing I wish I had on my TLE/RL2 + x200B setup is a pressure switch that would allow one-hand operation. (IE the DG switch.)

Whatever way you go, pay attention to the switching options. IMHO a constant-on-only light is a no-go. And given the number of problems attributed to FACTORY slide stops I would not be eager to have to use a Surefire slide stop to attach a rail for their proprietary light.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Dawson rail will be the mounting method. I like the military light, but it's very expensive.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I had a P101 on my Operator but when I had the chance I switched to a X200 for duty.I personally like the focused beam and better distance of the X200A. You get enough light to make searches and when the opponent gets hit with that beam it hurts

·
Registered
108 Posts
IMO the X200 is hard to beat in brightness and durability. It can be operated one handed with momentary or constant light.

Plus.......Sidearmor makes a really nice rig for Kimbers with the light attached.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts