1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any advice on how to remove surface scratches on stainless steel. My new TRP Springfield Slide has some lite surface scratches from a very abusive Kydex holster. Two days old and already scratched! Ouch! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Needless to say the kydex holster went into the trash!

· Registered
79 Posts
Depending on the severity of the scratch you can try a few things. First take some green or red (maroon) scotch brite and see how that cleans it up. If that doesn't get it try some 320 paper on a block. Go easy until you see the scratch disappear. Should work out fine.

· Premium Member
966 Posts
The Scotch-Brite pads work good on brushed stainless finishes but they will dull polished areas. They also don't work well on bead blasted surfaces. They kinda polish them. Maroon or gray work best.

· Registered
362 Posts
You might try a typewriter eraser - you know, the thing that looks like a pencil with a brush on one end - it is an abrasive "stick" used to erase ink from paper. As a test, take off one of your grip panels and try the eraser on the hidden metal surface. If the eraser does dull the metal, try to polish it back up with lapping compound (available at machine shops and some hardware stores) or rubbing compound (available at all auto parts stores). If you don't get the results you want, at least you haven't put an ugly spot in a visible area on your pistol.

· Registered
15 Posts
Scratch Removal ~ then Polishing

Based on how my Ruger MkII cleaned up using "Flitz" metal polish*, I'm guessing that after using the pads or eraser to take out the scratch, applying some Flitz on a Q-tip (or Dremel polishing tip) would help polish up the steel nicely.

Old No7

* I wanted a "high polish" finish on the Ruger -- and I got it. But now I have to wear sunglasses to shoot it!!! :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.