1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The red fiber optic came loose (lost) and I have some replacement rod to use but need pointers on installation. The front sight has two mounting points and the rearward (the one you see when sighting the pistol) has a recessed hole.

Do I cut the fiber optic just a little longer than the mounting holes and then heat the two ends with fire? I have a small butane torch I could use or should I melt the ends using a Bic lighter? And does the fiber expland when heated? Is that what keeps it in place? Is it common for it to fall out?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Greg without forsight in Scottsdale... Ha! :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Do I cut the fiber optic just a little longer than the mounting holes and then heat the two ends with fire? I have a small butane torch I could use or should I melt the ends using a Bic lighter? And does the fiber expland when heated? Is that what keeps it in place? Is it common for it to fall out?
Cut it a littel longer than the holes, and heat the ends with a lighter. The torch will be too much, you might easily mess up the fiber due to excessive heat. Yes, the fiber expands when heated, and that's actually what keeps it in place. You'll loose a fiber now and then, unless you check often enough to find out when it's starting to come loose. (recommended).
There's a way to avoid loosing fibers: Heat the fiber rod too. It'll expand the fiber rod on the INSIDE of the mounting holes, so that, even if it breaks, it's still mounted in the sight. When I do that, my fiber looks like ****, but it still works.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The red fiber optic came loose (lost) and I have some replacement rod to use but need pointers on installation. The front sight has two mounting points and the rearward (the one you see when sighting the pistol) has a recessed hole.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Greg without forsight in Scottsdale... Ha! :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:
I use a lighter and slightly flare one end of the fiber optic rod. You only need a tiny flare, because the next step is to insert the non-flared end of the rod into the front sight from the rear of the sight and pull it out the front. Ensure the flared end pulls inside the resessed portion of the sight. Now cut off the fiber optic rod that is extending out of the front of the sight, leaving about 1/16 to 1/8 inch of the rod sticking out. Now carefully use the lighter to melt the protruding end of the fiber optic rod, sucking it up tight to the muzzle end of the front sight.

I think instructions and pictures are on the Dawson Precision web sight. Anyway, I have using this method for many years and have not had a fiber optic come loose, but then again, I change them out a couple of times a year on my game guns.

·
Premium Member
6,670 Posts
I use a match.

I have long since quit smoking, so no lighter for me.

Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts