1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
My SVI race gun has a titanium

blast shield and compensator. That's about as close as I'll get to a titanium SVI! :D

·
Registered
983 Posts
I think that was just a proof-of-concept prototype, I don't think you can buy one (now or likely ever). I'd just love to be wrong though!

Note the serial number, "UNOBTAINIUM 1". :D

·
Registered
673 Posts
Yes you can buy a TIKI. This is a ti frame and slide with a hi-bryid comped 45 barrel. I have fired one at the nationals in Barry a few years back. They used 185G Corbon ammo for demo. IT was a great little gun that didn't come up as most any samll frame Colt type gun would with hot ammo.
There are about $7k or so and they have sold a few (probably less than 15).

Ed Henry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Talked to Tina at SVI -- $4k to $6k for the std. frame ti 1911 -- interesting idea to do the 1911 in titanium. Doesn't seem ridiculous($) in light of how hard it is to machine 6/4 ti with a high 30s Rockwell.

Think I'll be buying an STI Tactical, however...

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Unobtanium

"Note the serial number, 'UNOBTAINIUM 1'."

I believe this is an amusing reference to the material. The first time I'd heard the word used was when someone asked Mark Donahue what the Can-Am Porsche tubs were made from. His answer: "Unobtanium." :p

·
Registered
673 Posts
Tami not Tina just to be a pain. You probably are correct on the price. I never really cared, I just thought it was a very neat gun. This could be the best carry gun for some people.
Ed Henry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right you are(sorry Tami) -- and I'll agree that the gun is fantastic. Imagine a full-size, all metal 1911 that's under 30oz, that's virtually indestructible. If the thing isn't vaporware I may treat myself to one.

Ordering an STI Tactical today

·
Registered
673 Posts
The TIKI that I shot was not a full size gun it was either a Commander or Officer size gun. I don't keep track of the smaller framed guns. But the TIKI was smaller than a standard "O" Frame 5" gun and did have a Shuman Hybrid barrel is 45.
Ed

·
Registered
673 Posts
Go back one page to 16 and the pictured gun at the top is a TIKI. THat is what I was talking about. I have spoken to SVI about the double stack TI top gun but didn't think about it unitl you mentioned it.
Ed Henry

·
Super Moderator
7,638 Posts
I have a STI Allum frame and an SV Allum commander slide that I had built into a carry gun.

Using the SV compact grip and 113mm mags, it weighs in at 30 ounces loaded with 16 rounds of Winchester 38 Super Silvertip.

Lightening a slide isnt that hard. Most of it can be done internally. You cant get down to the weight of an allum slide, but you can shave off a few ounces. Maybe match the weight of a Ti slide...

Tom

Ramshackle said:
Caspian is also making a Ti frame, but for MUCH less. Neat idea for a carry gun. Now if someone could just lighten the slide.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Trader said:
A scandium frame 1911 is on the horizon.
maybe with steel incerts for the guide rails...if i remember my breif reaserch on the materiel...it will gall too easily, and may not be up to takin the beating of a semi...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Tom, you're right about slide lightening. My comment was about a lightened slide production gun since I don't know of any 1911 manufactuers that are lighteing their slides.

·
Super Moderator
7,638 Posts
Ramshackle said:
Tom, you're right about slide lightening. My comment was about a lightened slide production gun since I don't know of any 1911 manufactuers that are lighteing their slides.

Just me but, I like them flat-topped. Not much weight, but a little.

The rounds milled off. Much more than the flat-top, and I like the way it looks. Some call it a coffin cut or a 3 sided slide. Most SV guns come with the three sided slide.

Under the rear sight there is a lot of meat that can come out.

You can remove a lot of meat underneath the slide just behind the breechface. Bad thing is you can get some cracking into the extractor channel.

Go to the same depth and profile and the locking lugs and carry it forward till with a half inch or so of the muzzle.

By the time you take off all that weight be prepared to only shoot minor PF ammo. Major will kill an ultra light slide in short order.

Brazos Customs lightens slides by milling holes in the sides. Very effective and it looks cool to boot. And, you arent limited to minor PF ammo and you get a fast slide. Highly recommended.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts