1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, I just purchased (last month) my first 1911. A S&W 1911. I LOVE this thing. It is simply awesome. After shooting 9MM for a long time, I am very pleased with this gun.

However,

The first thing I noticed was the sharp edges on the front strap (? front part of the grip) and the Mainspring housing (Back edge of the grip). Do these really need to be this sharp? If not, would it be better to replace them (and with what) or send to a gunsmith to have him Fix them up?

Second thing is the Trigger. This is also very sharp on the outside two grooves. Any problem with me taking a little sandpaper to them so I don't cut my finger?

Now before you say something about having "Soft Skin" no that is not the problem. Just trying to make the gun more comfortable to shoot as this gun is purely for fun.

Last thing is What kind of a Package should I have the performance center do on this gun. I don't really understand their options. Trigger job, action somthing, Throat polishing......

Thanks in advance for the help.

Robb Feldhege

·
Registered
618 Posts
I would suggest you put at least 500 rounds or so through it to see what you think. I had planed a few changes to mine, but after 1500 rounds, mine is still bone stock. I love it just the way it is! Shoot it for awhile so you don't make any chages that are not needed. Also, sanding down the edges of the trigger are no big deal. Just make sure you get it really clean after. You don't want get any fillings in the trigger.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have put almost 3k through mine. I noticed the same issues that you noticed when I first got mine. I also thought this gun was great stock, but I have done a little modifying to make it fit me perfectly. I didnt touch the MSH simply because at around 2k or 2.5k it just didnt seem as sharp anymore. I put on Hogue rubber wrap around grips and thus havent noticed the front strap since. Additionally, this has helped me get a better grip since I have large hands. The trigger on my pistol had a good action to it however the grooves on the trigger really did slice my finger up after extended shooting. Also, my triger looked like it was beat right out of the box. The color didnt match the pistol and it had scratched in the sides. I replaced mine with a STI polymer one and have since loved it. That is thus far all the mods I have done, although soon I am going to take out the FLGR and put in a GI style system. Hope this helps,
-Dan

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I didn't have a problem with the frontstrap of mine either, but since I prefer a larger grip, I put a set of Pearce Fingergrooves on it under the stock grip panels. The other change I've made to my SW1911 is a set of stainless hex grip screws.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was debating on putting a little emery cloth to the MSH.
The front strap does not bother me. The trigger, maybe a little sharp. I only have 200 rnds through the SW1911, so I'll shoot it some more first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts