1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I held a government sized Pro in 45 acp today and a bobtail PC model, both were nice guns and roughly the same price brand new. The bobtail version was a commander size though.
What opinions are there on either of these guns as far as fit, finish, functionality, accuracy, ECT...
I am looking for a range gun and a PD gun for the house, I wont be carrying it or anything like that.
I read several threads on the PC bobtail but haven't seen any on the full size pro version.
What are your thoughts on these two and how do they compare to other 1911s currently available in the same class cost wise?
Lastly, which would you buy and why?

·
Registered
379 Posts
You have a lot of variables here and these two guns are not really in the same class, but you've asked so I'll share my opinion.
The Pro is a production line gun using precision parts where the PC is hand built and hand fitted. If I was looking at two similar guns at the same price point and one was a PC, that would be the end of my decision making... Get the PC. They are every bit as good as 2-3k custom guns.
I don't have personal experience with a .45 Pro Series but I do with the 9mm. Awesome gun and I'm amazed by the lack of recoil, being heavy and a lower caliber. I would imagine the .45 would be similar with a bit more kick. You'll get adjustable sights but they will be different than the combat 3-dots on the 4.25" PC Bobtail. I'm still getting used to the 12 o'clock hold on my PC but this is what combat sights are.

If you're only looking for a range gun, get what fits your hand, feels comfortable, and has the sights you're used to.
For a home defense gun, I'd look for something you know you can acquire targets quickly with, and I personally like rails on my home defense firearms. A light at night is crucial.

The 4.25" PC is Scandium and because of the lesser weight, it will have more of a kick in the hand, compared to the 5" Pro. I absolutely love my PC and would recommend it to anyone but I carry mine daily. Your philosophy of use may differ and therefore, it may not be the best option for you.

If you like the Smith's, desire a damn nice 1911 and this is your price point, consider the 5" PC model. It sounds like its what you're looking for. I know that if prices were similar, I'd take the 5" PC over the Pro Series every time. The Pro is nice (and I LOVE shooting the 9mm pro) but side by side, the PC is leaps and bounds in front.

Most importantly, get what you like! :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have a lot of variables here and these two guns are not really in the same class, but you've asked so I'll share my opinion.
The Pro is a production line gun using precision parts where the PC is hand built and hand fitted. If I was looking at two similar guns at the same price point and one was a PC, that would be the end of my decision making... Get the PC. They are every bit as good as 2-3k custom guns.
I don't have personal experience with a .45 Pro Series but I do with the 9mm. Awesome gun and I'm amazed by the lack of recoil, being heavy and a lower caliber. I would imagine the .45 would be similar with a bit more kick. You'll get adjustable sights but they will be different than the combat 3-dots on the 4.25" PC Bobtail. I'm still getting used to the 12 o'clock hold on my PC but this is what combat sights are.

If you're only looking for a range gun, get what fits your hand, feels comfortable, and has the sights you're used to.
For a home defense gun, I'd look for something you know you can acquire targets quickly with, and I personally like rails on my home defense firearms. A light at night is crucial.

The 4.25" PC is Scandium and because of the lesser weight, it will have more of a kick in the hand, compared to the 5" Pro. I absolutely love my PC and would recommend it to anyone but I carry mine daily. Your philosophy of use may differ and therefore, it may not be the best option for you.

If you like the Smith's, desire a damn nice 1911 and this is your price point, consider the 5" PC model. It sounds like its what you're looking for. I know that if prices were similar, I'd take the 5" PC over the Pro Series every time. The Pro is nice (and I LOVE shooting the 9mm pro) but side by side, the PC is leaps and bounds in front.

Most importantly, get what you like! :)
Thanks for your input, the gun store me only has the PC in the commander size, I wish they had the 5", I would have bought it yesterday.
I going back to the shop tomorrow and look again, I will probably end up buying the bobtail PC if it is still there.

·
Registered
379 Posts
It quickly became my EDC, and one of my favorites. You'll love it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a Pro Series, wanted something in stainless, and while the adjustable fiber optics are great during the day, I thought/experienced that they might be fragile, eventually switched them for trijicons and started carrying it. Thing is fit tight, slide to frame and really broke in or loosened up nicely the more it got shot.

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
Guys,
I held a government sized Pro in 45 acp today and a bobtail PC model, both were nice guns and roughly the same price brand new. The bobtail version was a commander size though.
What opinions are there on either of these guns as far as fit, finish, functionality, accuracy, ECT...
I am looking for a range gun and a PD gun for the house, I wont be carrying it or anything like that.
I read several threads on the PC bobtail but haven't seen any on the full size pro version.
What are your thoughts on these two and how do they compare to other 1911s currently available in the same class cost wise?
Lastly, which would you buy and why?
I purchased the Bobtail because I like the Commander-size the best and I planned to conceal/carry it. It also was a bobtail and I never owned and carried a bobtail.

I was very pleased with what I bought. It ate everything I fed it with no failures and had all the accuracy I could ask for. The barrel to bushing and slide to frame fit was outstanding. It's a two-tone weapon and the only disappointment I had was that the black on the Sc frame was very wear susceptible but I don't consider this a game changer.

If you aren't carrying it, I would suggest that you get the full size Gov't model only because it has a longer sight radius and so is potentially more accurate. And you can always change your mind and carry it.

I thought that the price of these weapons compared to what you get is one of the best on the market. They really hold their own in accuracy and reliability with more expensive handguns. And by the way, I've yet to see anyone purchase one of these for anywhere near MSRP.

In addition, I really like the unusual but distinctive looks of these handguns. Nothing else on the market looks anything like these two. They draw attention wherever you go.

Rick

·
Registered
379 Posts
Rick, check out Garrett Industries if you haven't already. They make fantastic leather lined kydex holsters and I went that route knowing how delicate the frame's finish was. Knock on wood but with several trillion reholsterings, not a scratch on her yet

·
Registered
686 Posts
I know it's a cliche answer but choose the one that fits your hand the best. The difference of 3/4" slide length is not a deal breaker either way in the accuracy department. I chose the round butt PC because it is my carry gun. It fits my hand(they're small), shoots as well as my government models and is a pleasure to carry. It has been flawless through 350 rounds of mixed ammo. The 5" PC is a fine pistol but did not fit my needs for everyday carry. YMMV.;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have had my 1911SC Two Tone for about one month now and love the handgun.
After only 1 week the Scandium finish was being scratched off under the safety.Very
disappointed. Called S&W and they offered to recoat the finish but was told it would happen again. Extremely poor design and planning....next time a get a handgun I'll go for a hard chrome finish......

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
Rtbaron, I don't know if you could hard chrome the scandium/aluminum alloy frame. I've asked aftermarket finishers if I could have the frame recoated with their proprietary durable coating (like hard Hat for instance) and was told it can't be applied to this kind of alloy frame.

Rick

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dislike the finish as well, the grip safety is already showing wear and I have only shot 200-300 rounds out of it. I was thinking about applying a cerakote finish to it but hate to lose the 1911PC designation above the serial number... A graphite black would look very nice on this gun.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have a solution for the finish. Get two. One for shooting and one for show . . . :rock:.

·
Banned
123 Posts
I have had my 1911SC Two Tone for about one month now and love the handgun.
After only 1 week the Scandium finish was being scratched off under the safety.Very
disappointed. Called S&W and they offered to recoat the finish but was told it would happen again. Extremely poor design and planning....next time a get a handgun I'll go for a hard chrome finish......
The "design" is 102 year old. You mean the finish is a poor choice?

Anodizing can be removed. Take the gun apart and soak the frame in a mild water/lye solution and it will come right off. Bead Blast and you now have a silver on silver gun. I bought a small bead blaster cabinet a few years ago to touch up items here and there. S&W will remove it too, I contacted them. I consider that when I bought my PC1911 RB. I've dealt with ano on bike parts for many years and it a relatively easy to wear finish.

Personally if I was concerned about a gun's wear if it was a CC pistol I'd buy something less expensive and more durable, like an M&P. My M&P40 is exactly the same size as my RB. If I had to use my RB I'd expect it to get some nice wear and patina.

PS: I took my RB down to my work bench and grabbed two products. Birchwood super blue and Birchwood Aluminum Black. My RB also had some wear on the grip safety where the piece goes into the grip. Super blue made it look brand new in 20 seconds. I have never had any luck with aluminum Black but surprisingly the scratches under the left thumb safety blacked up nicely. You might give it a try.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I am very excited waiting for my PC (4.25") to get here. It is for daily carry and yes I know the finish will wear badly. I'm OK with that...it's a carry gun afterall and will see daily use, at least one draw and reholster per day.

I know you don't want the Commander-sized gun but such would fly off any shelf where I am.....my gun dealer is backordered on them and when he sees mine come in for the price I paid...he's going to do this: :eek: !

:)

·
Registered
379 Posts
I am very excited waiting for my PC (4.25") to get here. It is for daily carry and yes I know the finish will wear badly. I'm OK with that...it's a carry gun afterall and will see daily use, at least one draw and reholster per day.
I carry mine daily and have been for months... It looks brand new. I highly recommend the Garrett Industries Silent Thunder holster. It's kydex but leather lined. Not a scratch on mine yet.
I have pics floating around in a few of the other PC threads.

EDIT: Just scrolled up and realized I've been here before. I'm a broken record. LOL

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
I carry mine daily and have been for months... It looks brand new. I highly recommend the Garrett Industries Silent Thunder holster. It's kydex but leather lined. Not a scratch on mine yet.
I have pics floating around in a few of the other PC threads.

EDIT: Just scrolled up and realized I've been here before. I'm a broken record. LOL
That's okay, Aeson. It reminded me to thank you for the heads up on the Garrett holster.

Rick

1 - 16 of 16 Posts