1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a SW1911 and it has an extra hole in the frame. About 3/16"; right side; in mag weell at the bottom . What is this for? Jim

·
Registered
12,451 Posts
Seems odd ... I've never seen such a "unoccupied" hole on a 1911, but for something this seemingly unusual, we probably need a picture to make any intelligent comments.

My first impression was to make one or two guesses, but that's all they would be -- pure guesses -- without pics.

Seeing that this is your first post and perhaps it might be your first 1911, I wouldn't fire it until there's an answer (just to err on the side of safety, in the possible event that something's wrong or missing).

Added: If you don't have camera/capability to post pics, then compare your 1911 to pictures of other 1911s in many of the Forum threads (S&W section, Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, etc.) ... it would be really odd if yours has a "hole" in a location that no other 1911 has a "hole"; and something is likely amiss if your 1911 has an empty hole in the same place where other 1911s have an intact pin (end of pin clearly present); e.g. a mainspring housing pin.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Maybe you can put a padlock in there so criminals can be "safe" from your pistol.

·
Registered
12,451 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
First time I've seen anything like that on a pistol. It appears that there is one on both sides. Is it by chance one of S&W's Scandium Frames?

A couple of possibilities that I can think of are:
Fixturing holes for holding the frame while machining, fitting or for treating the metal.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Do they make a GPS tracking chip small enough to fit in that hole? Might as well put the hole to work since it's already there.

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
No holes in my PC 1911 Bobtail. Probably because I shoot at paper targets when I go to the range instead of shooting at my guns. Oh, I never use armor-piercing ammo either.

This is a good example of how messed up some shooters are.:rofl:

Tongue well inserted in cheek,
Rick

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Rick,
My new PC1911 RB has two of those holes, right at the mag well bevel on either side. And I haven't even been shooting at it with armor-piercing rounds! ;) Those holes have got to have something to do with the machining and/or finishing of the frame.

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
Rick,
My new PC1911 RB has two of those holes, right at the mag well bevel on either side. And I haven't even been shooting at it with armor-piercing rounds! ;) Those holes have got to have something to do with the machining and/or finishing of the frame.
Ha, ha...gotcha. At least they're under the grips and I think you're spot on with your assessment. Kinda like the belly button left over from the umbilical cord. However, that would mean that Smith doesn't cast, forge, or CNC their frames but are using the "live birth" method with a mommy and daddy parent frame. Weirdly cool.:D

Holelessly yours,
Rick

·
Banned
1,341 Posts
The holes are for inserting a spring loaded pin so that a lanyard can be easily attached. This means the gun will not accept magazines but only single loads, making it safe from dropping and using up so much ammunition.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Holey smokes guys!!! These holes are impotent!!! :)

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
Holey smokes guys!!! These holes are impotent!!! :)
Harem guards need weapons to guard the harem with, don't they?:D

Not shooting blanks,
Rick

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
:):):)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts