1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have the smith and wesson 1911 performance center? i heard that with the right ammo, it can shoot 1" 10 shot groups at 25yds, can anyone validate this? if its true, this gun seems like quite a bargain at $2000

·
Registered
113 Posts
Actually 1" at 25yards isn't that spectacular, at least not for $2k. My Wilson barreled Norinco shoots that good. The real accuracy test is the 50yrd marker, and you can buy dedicated bullseye guns for less than $2k, if thats your thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the opportunity to shoot several plate racks with the PC 1911 this summer at the "Carolina Cup". S&W had a booth set up to try it and other PC offerings out.

I dearly loved that gun. I'd shot various 1911s before, but never anything high end.

I'm in the market for a 1911 this year, but hate to spend 1700 for one.

Sigh

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yes,

the PC1911 S&W will shoot 1" at 25 yards, with various ammo, even bulk ammo. I shot 1.5" inch from 50 yards using ransom rest with Federal Eagle. This is the best full-production 1911 you can buy, bar none.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
hmmm i just saw it for $1698 online, and im guessing that the shipping cost and dealer transfer fee will be at most $100, so...$1798, not a bad deal. i might go for it, provided i can scrounge up the money somehow..

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I've got one (well actually two, but one is unfired), but would have to put it in a Ransom Rest to realize those results. It is quite accurate for me and very well put together. The trigger is exceptional and the lightened Koenig hammer falls with less snap which can be felt quite clearly when dry firing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would check GunBroker.com before I spent $1698.00. I just saw one for $1499.00 starting bid, no reserve plus $30.00 shipping. Has 12 hours to go and no bids yet. Save as much of your cash as you can to buy ammo.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Those prices are kinda high

I just got one at the Indy 1500 Gun & Knife show for $1550. Dealer was Midwest Gun Exchange. Actually that was the cash discount price, and I had to pay 3% extra for using a credit card. Still, it was less than $1600.

Same dealer also had two Springfield Professionals for $2100 each. Not a bad price on those.

I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I'd read the reviews and heard these were really good. I got tired of problems with my Springfield Loaded, and realized that I would end up spending almost as much on upgrades, so I decided to get the best 1911 I could find for a "reasonable" price.

I just liked the overall look and feel of the PC1911. The 30 lpi front strap checkering is grippy but not sharp (like the 20 lpi cheese grater on the Springfield Pro), the trigger is a crisp 3 to 3.5 pounds, barrel lockup and bushing fit is top notch. And the melonite finish with the plated small parts, black trigger, and dark grips give it a classic look. Updated but not flashy. I'm not big on the wavy serations though...

·
Registered
500 Posts
PC price

I bought my PC1911 from www.ak-47man.com
Paid $1500 a year ago; $1700 seems a bit high. For a ransom rest, I used a hand-fitted Kart barrel/bushing, and observed 1.35-1.5" from 50 yards with Federal Eagle (10-rd strings), which is exceptional. With the stock barrel, I observed about 2.7-3" from 50 yards. Interestingly, the stock barrel shot JHP and FMJ with this accuracy, and this included Winchester bulk ammo! Try this with a Les Baer pistol (accuracy guarantee, yada yada), I am sure you won't get such results. I may just got lucky, I don't know.

·
Registered
113 Posts
1.5" at 50yrds is awesome.

Now if only I could shoot that well...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow i never realized how much cheaper guns are than their msrp. the msrp for the PC 1911 is about $2000 on the SW website. the retailers near where i live sell guns for only about 5-10% less than msrp

1 - 11 of 11 Posts