1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now in bookstores, GUNS &AMMO Magazine's "Complete Book of the 1911". See the Ransom Rest results of SW 1911s on page 44, comparing the 1911, 1911sc and 1911PD, using all types of ammo brands. According to the comparison table, the PD cleaned the other's clocks by a wide margin. Can anyone explain why, e.g., a fluke, a misprint, a nutty writer, a hallucination?

I'm especially interested because I gave my WWII Remington to my son, and now I'm researching 1911s for myself. Originally I turned my nose up at the PD but after reading this article, I'm back to square one.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
i don't know about shooting off of a ransom rest but my new PD easily matched the accuracy of my older SS S&W right out of the box using the same modified weaver stance when shooting either of the guns. both have novak fixed sights.

recoil was a touch different but easily handled after a few rounds to get the feel of it.

how the scandium frame will hold up after many many rounds is something i will be finding out over time.

i am basically very happy with both guns and would recommend either.

be safe, shoot well.:rock:

·
Registered
2 Posts
The same gun??

Please forgive my ignorance, but arnt the PD and SC models very close to the same? What is the difference? I just ordered the 1911sc in SS in the commander size and was torn between that and the 1911pd commander size in blue.

thanks,

Frank in Costa Rica

·
Registered
60 Posts
Okay, now you've got me totally confused.

I have a blued commander-sized S&W 911 that says it's an SC. Nowhere does it say PD. It has the atomic logo which tells me it's a scandium model.

Is the PD and the SC in the scandium models one and the same? If they are different, what is the difference?

edison

·
Registered
609 Posts
edison said:
Okay, now you've got me totally confused.

I have a blued commander-sized S&W 911 that says it's an SC. Nowhere does it say PD. It has the atomic logo which tells me it's a scandium model.

Is the PD and the SC in the scandium models one and the same? If they are different, what is the difference?

edison
you have the 2004 model which was then still called Sc and is now called PD, Sc is now only used for stainless finish guns

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
the way gun makers keep flipping things around these days its a wonder any of us can keep things straight, or our sanity.:scratch:

my PD is a PD, and as a PD it is one really fine PD.....end of story.:cool:

i guess all that matters is that we can shoot the darn things no matter what they
are called one year to the next.

be safe, shoot well.:rock:

·
Registered
881 Posts
With factory built guns, there are some that are going to be better than others. The term "tolerances" is what comes to mind, the closer they are to the ideal the better the product, but even the ones on the far edge of the tolerances get sold too...

·
Registered
958 Posts
I read that article and when I seen the results of the range sessions showing the PD was scary accurate I thought something may be wrong. I read and re-read the article and I think if you go back and match the details in the article with the table you'll find that instead of the 1911PD the table lists accuracy for the 1911PC, the Performance center 1911 pictured on the previous page.
It makes sense that it would be that one instead of the 1911PD. The 1911PC is supposed to be totally hand built and I would expect that kind of accuracy from it.
Go back and re-read the article and see if you come to the same conclusion as I did. He talks about shooting the PC with all those different loads and the SAME number of loads are listed in the table.
It would be nice if the 1911PD was that accurate.

Nala

1 - 10 of 10 Posts