1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well ive been reading here for a while and I decided to get a S&W1911PD and I have about 250 rounds through her. All WWB. My question is, is it safe to shoot +P ammo out of it? I read the manual and searched all over but no one on the internet has addressed this issue. I called S&W but they are closed for the holidays. Any one shed some light on it for me?

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
The answer to your question in part depends on the construction of your particular PD. If it`s an alloy construction, continuous feeding of +P can lead to accellerated wear. If it`s steel...basically have fun. S&W will not recommend the use of +P (at least that`s the response I got from them), but the S&W literature, which identifies specifically which guns Not to shoot +P ammo thru, does not include the 1911. I don`t shoot alot of +P thru my stainless 5 inch, but enough to keep myself trained for it`s use for self defense.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I shoot +P in all of my scandium framed guns and have had no issues. Smith states +P+ is a no no, but +P is OK, at least thats what the manuals state.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
I've shot many rounds of +P ammo thru my S&W Sc without any problems.

I don't think I would make a study diet of the + P, at the range, but enough to stay sharp hasn't hurt anything thus far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought 40 rounds of +p ammo and I was just afraid it might break something. But since yall do it and have no problems I recon I'll give it a shot. Pun intended.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have shot a bunch of +p. IMHO it is much to do about nothing. I went through two magazines of corbon powerball +p 165 grain when the pistol was new and it didn't want to throw the slide back every time.

I have shot Hornady 230 and 200 grain +p and I can't tell a difference. I have shot the pistol a lot. A whole lot. A little paint wear on the safety and the back corners of the slide is all I have. The laser points straight and the pistol shoots fine.

I'm not picky with loads. I will shoot whatever I feel like and my Smitty doesn't seem to mind. You guys have to keep in mind. Smith and Wesson hurt themselves by getting on the Clinton Bandwagon. They have had to step their game up in order to stay competive and not go out of business. They make a quality firearm. Smith and Wesson not only has a much better product line than they had 10 years ago I think they are building better firearms; Also there are some mult-generational workers there that would like to see Smith And Wesson succeed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts