1911Forum banner

Swap for a Hardened Slide

838 23
Question about my CMP Rack Grade.
I want to shoot my pistol often but it has a typical WWII Colt slide with an untold amount of rounds.
I’m really considering trading my Colt slide for a hardened USGI slide.
Will that affect any value or collectibility? Also would it be a wise decision for a direct swap including the Flannery barrel for a chrome lined USGI replacement barrel?

Thanks for your advice.
Happy Thanksgiving

Attachments

Reactions: 4barrel
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
84 Posts
My CMP 1911 came with an Ithaca frame and TZ hardened GI replacement slide.
I bought a proper Ithaca slide for it and sold my hardened replacement slide for $150.

It seems like a lot of the round 3 guns are coming with replacement slides.
I can't be the only one wanting to get a matching slide for their 1911 and would be willing to let the replacement go.
I'd post a WTB ad on the CMP forum - that is where I found the Ithaca and sold the replacement (all in one day).

· Registered
261 Posts
I built a number of commercial Colt and Springfield Armory guns (and a single NORINCO) to "GI" standard because, well, I love GI guns and I wanted no-worries functional blasters. Genuine GI parts run the gamut from beat to hell to pristine and pricey.

I found quite a few affordable new-old stock GI replacement barrels dating from 1985 through I guess 1993. Some are chrome-lined, and all need throating to shoot hollow-points and semi-wadcutters. I also bought a number of modern commercial Colt take-offs that made me giddy for the price (somewhere around $60-85 apiece, some already throated). I was able to find cherry (hard) Drake and Colt GI National Match slides and Numax and IMI slides.

I shoot them like abused step-children and they make me happy because they seem to always work. I'm not worried about them cracking or depreciating collector value. The first giveaway that mine aren't pure GI guns are the replacement Harrison Retro rear sights and Novak Gold Dot front sights (I'm old and blind and want sights I can see).

Blasphemy, I know, but if you want to shoot your CMP gun I'd be happy with modern depot rebuild parts, or commercial parts you can parkerize yourself or send out. Someone will want the Colt slide and Flannery barrel. If you find or trade for post-war contract replacement parts in good shape you may be upgrading from CMP "Rack" to "Field" grade.

Random sample: NOT a CMP GI gun but a NORINCO with chrome-lined GI TZZ barrel and Harrison medium-length trigger:

· Registered
720 Posts
Question about my CMP Rack Grade.
I want to shoot my pistol often but it has a typical WWII Colt slide with an untold amount of rounds.
I’m really considering trading my Colt slide for a hardened USGI slide.
Will that affect any value or collectibility? Also would it be a wise decision for a direct swap including the Flannery barrel for a chrome lined USGI replacement barrel?

Thanks for your advice.
Happy Thanksgiving
Like you I too am also a shooter. Your pistol is no longer correct other than it was a as issued weapon, they are only ever correct once. Yes I would find a good hard slide and have fun with it, sell or trade the current slide too offset the cost or break even with someone looking too make there pistol parts correct. Everyone makes out in the end and there happy.

Is the current barrel roached out? These pistols were meant too be mixed and matched parts interchangeable without worry, slapped together and go.

· Registered
221 Posts
FWIW, put your 1911A-1 up and buy a Tisas to shoot. Glad I bought a used GI slide about 4-5 years ago for less than $100 as should get the call from CMP next week or week after? Will have a slide if I need it. Just saw same slides from same dealer last week for $350!

· Premium Member
6,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have two pristine M1911A1’s. I really want to just have this as my shooter. I’m thinking about keeping the slide and adding another for the shooting side.
Anyone know where I can buy an extra hardened slide?

· Registered
84 Posts
I have two pristine M1911A1’s. I really want to just have this as my shooter. I’m thinking about keeping the slide and adding another for the shooting side.
I'd recommend posting a "WANT TO BUY" ad on the CMP Forum

· Registered
550 Posts
I have a Rand and a Colt I have shot since the 70's with midrange loads with no problems. I'm not going to worry until something happens. I bought this slide from <Jack The Dog> I was going to put on a WW11 frame but ended up on this. It was about $150 + shipping and came with sights.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

· Registered
720 Posts
Someone mentioned CMP, and there is also Caspian if I went that direction I would go with Zero markings and just have it parked.

· Administrator
80,268 Posts
I've had luck on GunBroker and EBay in the past for post-war slides. Seems there should be more than ever available with most people who receive them from the CMP being unhappy with them.
As I keep reading these stories of guys buying a mixmaster from the CMP and being unhappy with them I have to wonder what the hell were they expecting.

Now as collectors we have to be really careful buying supposedly all-correct and original examples thanks to all the "restored" guns out there.

Reactions: et45

· Premium Member
6,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As I keep reading these stories of guys buying a mixmaster from the CMP and being unhappy with them I have to wonder what the hell were they expecting.

Now as collectors we have to be really careful buying supposedly all-correct and original examples thanks to all the "restored" guns out there.
I didn’t buy this as a collector but as a shooter. I’m a high volume shooter. It’s my hobby and it’s something I love to do.
I’m very happy with my purchase. I just want a shooter and I don’t want to risk destroying the slide that came on it.
That’s it, nothing more and nothing less. I’m just looking for options. If I don’t find a slide that’s hardened, I will shoot with this Colt slide.

· Registered
394 Posts
I respect both opinions and we don't have to change each other. I'm a "caretaker" not necessarily a user. I try to keep things in at least as good a condition as they were when I got them. I never had a chance to own a GI 1911 until the CMP program. What I got was a pistol that could have been issued in the 80s, not one in the configuration that could have been issued to my dad in WWII. I knew it was the luck of the draw and took my chance. Never been lucky.

· Registered
261 Posts
I rebuilt this commercial Colt from a bare 1920 frame -- over 101 years old now.

Your GI frame should last yours' and your kids' lifetimes (at least). GI guns have lasted this long (to include with 1950s-90s contract overhaul parts) because they're Energizer Bunnies. The .45's low-pressure cartridge doesn't wreck the pistol like high-pressure / fast-hard recoil.

· Premium Member
6,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I rebuilt this commercial Colt from a bare 1920 frame -- over 101 years old now.

Your GI frame should last yours' and your kids' lifetimes (at least). GI guns have lasted this long (to include with 1950s-90s contract overhaul parts) because they're Energizer Bunnies. The .45's low-pressure cartridge doesn't wreck the pistol like high-pressure / fast-hard recoil.

The frame isn’t the issue, the slide is. It’s well known that the upper lugs in the WWII slides will shear off or the slide will crack.

· Premium Member
6,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Correct.

I commanded counter-terrorist teams in the late-80s - early-90s transition between M1911A1s and Berettas. We broke a number of war-era slides, but not the 779- slide rebuilds. Same frames.

At the Army Marksmanship Unit we built new match guns with GI and Caspian frames.
I figured as much by your screen name.💪🏼🇺🇸
My dream is to build a Delta gun described by MSG (Ret) Vickers.

I was just a Carpenter in the Air Force that morphed into Psychological Warfare out of Ft Bragg.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts