1911Forum banner

Swap for a Hardened Slide

1140 23
Question about my CMP Rack Grade.
I want to shoot my pistol often but it has a typical WWII Colt slide with an untold amount of rounds.
I’m really considering trading my Colt slide for a hardened USGI slide.
Will that affect any value or collectibility? Also would it be a wise decision for a direct swap including the Flannery barrel for a chrome lined USGI replacement barrel?

Thanks for your advice.
Happy Thanksgiving

Attachments

Reactions: 4barrel
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
296 Posts
I built a number of commercial Colt and Springfield Armory guns (and a single NORINCO) to "GI" standard because, well, I love GI guns and I wanted no-worries functional blasters. Genuine GI parts run the gamut from beat to hell to pristine and pricey.

I found quite a few affordable new-old stock GI replacement barrels dating from 1985 through I guess 1993. Some are chrome-lined, and all need throating to shoot hollow-points and semi-wadcutters. I also bought a number of modern commercial Colt take-offs that made me giddy for the price (somewhere around $60-85 apiece, some already throated). I was able to find cherry (hard) Drake and Colt GI National Match slides and Numax and IMI slides.

I shoot them like abused step-children and they make me happy because they seem to always work. I'm not worried about them cracking or depreciating collector value. The first giveaway that mine aren't pure GI guns are the replacement Harrison Retro rear sights and Novak Gold Dot front sights (I'm old and blind and want sights I can see).

Blasphemy, I know, but if you want to shoot your CMP gun I'd be happy with modern depot rebuild parts, or commercial parts you can parkerize yourself or send out. Someone will want the Colt slide and Flannery barrel. If you find or trade for post-war contract replacement parts in good shape you may be upgrading from CMP "Rack" to "Field" grade.

Random sample: NOT a CMP GI gun but a NORINCO with chrome-lined GI TZZ barrel and Harrison medium-length trigger:

· Registered
296 Posts
I rebuilt this commercial Colt from a bare 1920 frame -- over 101 years old now.

Your GI frame should last yours' and your kids' lifetimes (at least). GI guns have lasted this long (to include with 1950s-90s contract overhaul parts) because they're Energizer Bunnies. The .45's low-pressure cartridge doesn't wreck the pistol like high-pressure / fast-hard recoil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts