1911Forum banner

Swap for a Hardened Slide

1140 23
Question about my CMP Rack Grade.
I want to shoot my pistol often but it has a typical WWII Colt slide with an untold amount of rounds.
I’m really considering trading my Colt slide for a hardened USGI slide.
Will that affect any value or collectibility? Also would it be a wise decision for a direct swap including the Flannery barrel for a chrome lined USGI replacement barrel?

Thanks for your advice.
Happy Thanksgiving

Attachments

Reactions: 4barrel
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
6,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have two pristine M1911A1’s. I really want to just have this as my shooter. I’m thinking about keeping the slide and adding another for the shooting side.
Anyone know where I can buy an extra hardened slide?

· Premium Member
6,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As I keep reading these stories of guys buying a mixmaster from the CMP and being unhappy with them I have to wonder what the hell were they expecting.

Now as collectors we have to be really careful buying supposedly all-correct and original examples thanks to all the "restored" guns out there.
I didn’t buy this as a collector but as a shooter. I’m a high volume shooter. It’s my hobby and it’s something I love to do.
I’m very happy with my purchase. I just want a shooter and I don’t want to risk destroying the slide that came on it.
That’s it, nothing more and nothing less. I’m just looking for options. If I don’t find a slide that’s hardened, I will shoot with this Colt slide.

· Premium Member
6,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I rebuilt this commercial Colt from a bare 1920 frame -- over 101 years old now.

Your GI frame should last yours' and your kids' lifetimes (at least). GI guns have lasted this long (to include with 1950s-90s contract overhaul parts) because they're Energizer Bunnies. The .45's low-pressure cartridge doesn't wreck the pistol like high-pressure / fast-hard recoil.

The frame isn’t the issue, the slide is. It’s well known that the upper lugs in the WWII slides will shear off or the slide will crack.

· Premium Member
6,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Correct.

I commanded counter-terrorist teams in the late-80s - early-90s transition between M1911A1s and Berettas. We broke a number of war-era slides, but not the 779- slide rebuilds. Same frames.

At the Army Marksmanship Unit we built new match guns with GI and Caspian frames.
I figured as much by your screen name.💪🏼🇺🇸
My dream is to build a Delta gun described by MSG (Ret) Vickers.

I was just a Carpenter in the Air Force that morphed into Psychological Warfare out of Ft Bragg.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts