1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: how often do you switch out magazines on your cwp? I have been using one magazine a week before unloading it and giving it a rest. Same for my spare carry mag. These are 8 round .45 mags. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
They can sit loaded for a very long time.

CWP - I suppose I could figure out what you mean, but chances are outside of South Carolina, nobody knows what that means.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I've had my 8 round CMC shooting star loaded for over a year now...its still 100 percent reliable. But both of my 8 round carry mags are due for spring replacements though...they are about 5 years old.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answers. Oh, CWP = Concealed Weapons Permit. I carry a SAM Commodore.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
You're causing more wear on the mag springs by loading and unloading them, than you are if you just kept them loaded. ;)

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I've personally had two Glock pistol OEM "double stack" magazine springs take such a "set", and so quickly (in three months of remaining fully loaded), that the rounds simply fell out of the magazine when it (the magazine) was inverted.
No spring tension at all. Had I needed the pistol, I'da been SOL.

I've since taken to replacing Glock OEM magazine springs with Wolff or ISMI springs immediately at time of purchase.
No troubles since.

Necessary? Who really knows?
I REFUSE to trust Glock's OEM mag springs, in any case.

As for single-stack springs, including H&K P7M8 magazine springs and all types (Colt, Metalform, Tripp, Wilson, Brown, McCormick, etc.) of 1911 magazine springs, I've NEVER had these take a set at all. Never.

I have dozens of these magazines, and no matter how long the mags have been left loaded (some for several years, "just for fun"), they maintain tension, and run just fine.

I suspect there's a functional difference between consistent-wound single stack vs. variable-wound double stack magazine spring integrity and reliability, but I don't really know. Single-stack magazine springs just seem to keep on working.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts