1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is feeding my habit. She is getting me a Dillon SDB in 45acp. That is all I will use the press for so the special dies I do not care about.

Is anyone using this press?

What are your likes about this press?

What are your dislikes about this pres?

Relaoding 200 rounds on a single stage takes me about two weeks. I am tired of doing that. I never plan to reload rifle on a progressive as i take different steps and do more to my rifle brass than I do to my pratice fooder for the 1911. I know I am getting a Forester Co-ax or RCBS Rockchucker when i upgrade my single stage press.

·
Banned
565 Posts
I used one for several years for .45, 9mm, .38/357, .380 and .45 Colt.
I felt it was a good press for the money. I liked the auto indexing feature and found that once you had the rythym of it down that you could load a box of 50 in about 8 minutes without much trouble although I usually only averaged about 400 rounds per hour. The ammunition loaded was very accurate, fps variations were very reasonable.
The downside is that its simply not as heavily made as the 550 and obviously all it can do is load pistol ammo. Its also quite small and cramped to work in as compared to the 550. In that it uses a lot of plastic bushings and such it just gives a feel its not made to stand up to really long term usage. OTOH, Dillon has a great reputation for standing behind the product (deserved in my experience).
Bottom line, if you're loading a few thousand a year I think it will serve you well. If you can afford to get a 550 I would but I wouldn't turn my nose up at a SDB. In fact I sold my whole kit to my best friend who is still using it.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Don't do it! The 550 is a much better press, well worth the extra $. I have owned both and wouldn't accept an SDB free of charge.

PS I think auto indexing is overrated in presses without a case feeder. I don't miss it in my 550.

Gammon: RL 300, 450, 550, and 1050, but NO SDB.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Hello: The Square Deal B is a great press for loading 9mm and 45acp. You can load an honest 250 rounds in an hour. That is taking the time to load the primer tubes and cleaning the machine up. I used to load 9mm,40 and 45acp on the one I had. I then found a RL1050 mostly to load the 40 and Glocked brass. If I was you I would look for a used one. If I had to do over and was not shooting alot I would buy 2 Square Deal B presses. One for large primer and small primer. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
525 Posts
I own one. I think its a great place to start, especially if you're doing single caliber. I know of folks that have load 100,000+ on the SDB with no issue.

On the flip side, they make bigger, better presses because they're bigger and better. More functionality, more features, greater flexibility... but more cost.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Tango, anything you buy will be a great improvement over what you are currently using; but if you decide to move up to a bigger and better press in the future, it will be a very expensive decision.

My first press was/is a Dillon 650, and with it, I can load 200 rounds of .45 in a half hour, including cleanup afterward - but not including time spent in sorting/tumbling fired brass.

I had to delay my purchase of the 650 (about 15 years ago), but I have never given thought to buying a "bigger & better"

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The main reasons for me picking this press is Space I have a 2x4" bench with a Press, Powder measure, Case trimmer already mounted to it. I am going to have to move the case trimmer to another place for this press to fit. Also Price I would love to have a 550 or 650 but the size and the fact that I will only be loading at most three different rounds (In the end I might get three SDB 9mm, 40S&W, and 45acp) will not warrent the extra price. If I ever get a place with enough land for my own personal shooting range I might end up with a 1050 for the pistols. I have looked for used they tend to have 400# of junk I will never use or need and then they want $1000 for it all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts