1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

I would first very much like to say that I really love 1911's.

I am in the process of purchasing my first 1911 in 0.45. I have recently been looking at Para Ordnance.

(I am also living in California).

I have found a new SX1445SR (10 round magazine) over the internet.
I found a deal off galleryofguns.com, where the price of the gun (including fees and tax) is $973.00 (for a store location near my home).

I would very much appreciate if anyone could comment on whether this is a good price.

Also, I would very much appreciate if anyone could comment on if they think this is a good gun for beginners, as well as any pros and cons of purchasing this handgun.

Thanks a million!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Welcome to the world of shooting, as you state you are a beginner.

The price you quoted for a new 1911 is reasonable. I've seen that Gallery of Guns typically quotes prices that reflect my local retail prices. It is a nice gun you are looking at.

Enamel said:
Also, I would very much appreciate if anyone could comment on if they think this is a good gun for beginners, as well as any pros and cons of purchasing this handgun.
If you are a true "newbie" to shooting, then I would also suggest learning basic shooting skills first with a .22 rifle and a .22 pistol. John Ross has a great description of how a person can decide if they want to be part of the gun culture. Read it at Defensive Firearms Advice for Those With No Experience.

Here is his conclusion:
John Ross said:
Go to a real gunshop.

Buy a Ruger 10/22 rifle with twenty spare magazines (they?ll have to order them) and a Smith & Wesson .22 revolver. There are several models of S&W .22s; go to a gun shop and handle them all. Get the one that feels best in your hand. If you have large or small hands, ask the salesman about aftermarket grips (I like the wooden Hogue Monogrip) and try them out.

Buy one full case (Five THOUSAND rounds) of .22 long rifle ammo. Make sure you get ammo with 40 grain PLATED bullets--some of the cheapest promo ammo is unplated and will lead-foul your barrel.

Get hearing and eye protection, and some good gun lube, like Break-Free CLP.

All the above stuff should cost you about $1000.

Find an outdoor spot with a hillside where you can safely and legally shoot.

. . . (procedure deleted -- read the link)

If, after the first week or two, you find this effort a chore, take your guns, spare magazines, and remaining ammo back to the gunshop. You will lose about $250.

If you finish the month excited about your newly earned skills, looking forward to your next shooting outing, and needing more ammo, congratulations. You are now a member of the gun culture.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Enamel said:
Hi Everyone!

I would first very much like to say that I really love 1911's.

I am in the process of purchasing my first 1911 in 0.45. I have recently been looking at Para Ordnance.

(I am also living in California).

I have found a new SX1445SR (10 round magazine) over the internet.
I found a deal off galleryofguns.com, where the price of the gun (including fees and tax) is $973.00 (for a store location near my home).

I would very much appreciate if anyone could comment on whether this is a good price.

Thanks a million!
It is an ok price, I have deffinately seen better. Go to www.1customgunsmith.com he sells Para at really good prices. You have to call him, he doesnt have them listed on his site yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts