1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive seen posts about this in the past, but couldn't seem to find them on a search. My question, does anyone buy a quart of Valvoline synthetic and oil their gun with it. It seems like a huge savings.
Thanks, Max

·
Registered
466 Posts
Yep, Many use, with some good results apparently, synthetic motor oil. Mobil One is a popular brand. I've tried it too. It seems to evaporate quickly. I always fall back on the same stuff I've always used. MP Pro 7 oil for the action and barrel and Tetra gun grease for the rails.

[This message has been edited by lodraw (edited 10-22-2001).]

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I've used some,and also tried synthetic ATF.ATF is inherently a 'stronger' oil with a higher shear load,but I always fall back to BreakFree with a dab of gun grease occasionally (mostly after a full degrunge and relube).I use grease very sparingly though,it holds more dirt than a thin coating of oil.

·
Banned
217 Posts
Well over a year ago someone (I did not record the name) posted
this formula on rec.guns. Said they got it from a National
Guard rangemaster, etc. (I think). Anyway:

2 parts Dexron II or III automatic transmission fluid
1 Part Mobil-1 Synthetic Oil, 30 weight, or 10W-30
1 Part STP Oil Treatment (the stuff for old cars w/ over 30,000 mi.)

This is very "oily", i.e. slick, greasy, adheres very well to metal,
with
little or no creep.

I've used this concoction. It works well.

But I've discovered that a 4oz bottle of BreakFree lasts me a couple years, so cost isn't an issue.

If was really hurting I'd use ATF.

------------------
Have a great day!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I may try the formula since I have all but the STP on hand. It surprises me though that you guys think ATF is better than motor oil alone. Motor oil is so much thicker I would have thought that would hold up better. Thanks again, Max

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Max

You're right about engine oil being thicker,but it's weaker.ATF has a higher shear factor,or,it doesn't break down quickly when subjected to high pressure.That's one of the reasons why you don't change your tranny fluid as much as the engine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wow! I must be out of the loop! A few years back when I was more active in USPSA, I was told by one of the master shooters that he and his wife, a former top ladies shooter used Remington "rem oil w/teflon" exclusively in their very expensive 38 super raceguns. I had followed their suggestion and used this in my SS Colt Combat Target as well as the SA 1911-A1 loaded I currently shoot. Never had any problems in 9 years. Grease collects small particles of dirt and becomes abrasive. It also gets hard when subjected to cold. What are they running in these guns now small block V8's ?

That's my 8 cents worth (inflation)!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks again for the replies, I suppose this topics been gone over a few times. My point in posting this wasn't really about cost, though I am cheap. I was mostly curious if the high buck stuff is really that much better with regular maintance intervals.
Thanks, Max

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Mr Maxthe mutt: I'm part Irish and we never pay retail for anything. I have used most oils from GI weapons lube to synthetice motor oils to Teflon syrup additives and various blends of all. If you clean your gun after every shoot, any good oil works pretty well. I do notice the "oily" oils tend to collect powder blow and turn black a lot worse than some of the new hi-tech lubes like Tetra gun lube and Rig +p for stainless (Brownell's has both). I pinch the pennies tight, but I do spend the $ on Tetra and Rig lube and use it because it reduces rail wear to about nothing. It also stays put better than fluid oils.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts