1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thing is dated 1947, thats why the full checkered wood grips! Is it the original finish? It does not have the crest....I think that means its not military! anyhow, any help would be great!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
As i stated in another post, I bought a really nice pistol from a dealer
that had 25 Argentines. Out of the 25 there were about 10 different
blue color finishes and most appeared original.Oxydized,I don't know.
Bob

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I don't think that is original finish for the following reasons. There appears to be pitting and lettering that would have occurred after the pistol was originally finished that have blue in them. I see what appears to be the importer's stamp on the frame above the serial number. It should show burnished metal. The pitting shouldn't be that blue and the sheen is too high. Most Sistemas are a fairly dull black.

·
Registered
220 Posts
First the bad news, the grips are not original. The original grips for this pistol are those made of a black color thermoset material. Now the good news, this is a very interesting pistol, and I will explain why I state so. According to the book Colt . 45 Government Models (Commercial Series), by Charles W. Clawson this pistol was issued to the Argentine Army in 1948, but as it can be seen in the pictures it is not marked EJERCITO ARGENTINO on the right of the slide as the other Army issue Sistema pistols are. Other interesting features are that the serial number that appears on the barrel has the same direction as the axis of the bore instead of being marked across the chamber, and that the serial number is engraved rather than being roll stamped. Barrels with this type of marking were observed on Sistema pistols with serial number higher than 99,999, that according to the book Colt . 45 Government Models (Commercial Series) were made on or after the year 1958. Last but not least, on the right side of the frame of this pistol there are two small marks, one is the letter F under a star, and the other is the letter B under a star. These two markings can be found consistently on Sistema Colt pistols with serial number higher than 110,000, but not on those with serial number lower than 110,000. Again, according Charles W. Clawson, Sistema pistols with serial number higher than 110,000 were made on or after the year 1964. Although there is no documentation that explains all these out of the ordinary features, it is believed that the Argentine Army returned a number of Sistema Colt pistols to the Rosario factory where they were refurbished and reissued to Argentine law enforecement agencies. During the refurbishment program the original barrels were replaced with others of the by then current manufacture. It is not known if the Argentine Army markings were removed or the slides were exchanged. The "star B" and "star F" markings seems to be assemblers or tester markings. It is not known if these refurbished/reissued pistols were refinished as part of the refurbishment program. A small number of pistols similar to the one that appears on the picture are known to exist. All pistols with these features that are known are in very good condition, that is much better than that of other former Argentine pistols. Based on the markings that appear on the barrel and frame it is believed that this pistols were refurbished in the mid 1960's. I do not know if the pistol that appears on the picture was refinished after it was declared surplus in Argentina, or if this finish is the one it got during the refurbishment program. As stated above, this is an interesting pistol and I hope that someday we will have access to documentation that explains the unusual markings.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More pics

Thanks you, to the ones who have responded!
I wanted to post more pics for maybe some better looks at finish and markings. I tend to thank it is the original finish, because I have some older pistols that have been refinished years ago and you can tell - finish over pitting and dents and dings. But this does not look that way! I have other Clawson book for WWI & WWII .45's. I do not have a commercial book. The small dots are i think they are vise marks so import marks could be stamped on. There are some pitting that look after finish, just old and dirty! Pistol was gumed up and was a heck of a job to clean! This is just my opinion!

I hope the pics will help! Thanks,
45ACPGUY

·
Registered
85 Posts
First the bad news, the grips are not original. The original grips for this pistol are those made of a black color thermoset material. Now the good news, this is a very interesting pistol, and I will explain why I state so. According to the book Colt . 45 Government Models (Commercial Series), by Charles W. Clawson this pistol was issued to the Argentine Army in 1948, but as it can be seen in the pictures it is not marked EJERCITO ARGENTINO on the right of the slide as the other Army issue Sistema pistols are. Other interesting features are that the serial number that appears on the barrel has the same direction as the axis of the bore instead of being marked across the chamber, and that the serial number is engraved rather than being roll stamped. Barrels with this type of marking were observed on Sistema pistols with serial number higher than 99,999, that according to the book Colt . 45 Government Models (Commercial Series) were made on or after the year 1958. Last but not least, on the right side of the frame of this pistol there are two small marks, one is the letter F under a star, and the other is the letter B under a star. These two markings can be found consistently on Sistema Colt pistols with serial number higher than 110,000, but not on those with serial number lower than 110,000. Again, according Charles W. Clawson, Sistema pistols with serial number higher than 110,000 were made on or after the year 1964. Although there is no documentation that explains all these out of the ordinary features, it is believed that the Argentine Army returned a number of Sistema Colt pistols to the Rosario factory where they were refurbished and reissued to Argentine law enforecement agencies. During the refurbishment program the original barrels were replaced with others of the by then current manufacture. It is not known if the Argentine Army markings were removed or the slides were exchanged. The "star B" and "star F" markings seems to be assemblers or tester markings. It is not known if these refurbished/reissued pistols were refinished as part of the refurbishment program. A small number of pistols similar to the one that appears on the picture are known to exist. All pistols with these features that are known are in very good condition, that is much better than that of other former Argentine pistols. Based on the markings that appear on the barrel and frame it is believed that this pistols were refurbished in the mid 1960's. I do not know if the pistol that appears on the picture was refinished after it was declared surplus in Argentina, or if this finish is the one it got during the refurbishment program. As stated above, this is an interesting pistol and I hope that someday we will have access to documentation that explains the unusual markings.
This is what I read and is very accurate. Thanks. The finish is not original. Every gun that was made in the DGFM was finish with "black oxide". This is a "Rosario made" gun in original condition, here you can see the finish color and the marks of the factory polish, that are parallel lines all over the frame and slide, thats why it was not a bright black finish . Still a very nice gun.

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks

thank's for the info...
I have had this pistol for about 3yrs. and was not sure what the deal was. The info you gave makes sense. I had glanced at a Clawson book at a gun show that was about commerical .45's and looked on internet for info. You guys have answered it. I knew someone here might know.

I think the "USGI" forum has the most knowledgeable people in it! IMHO:)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.