1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been covered alot. I have a Systema, I think it's in pretty good shape, have not had alot of time to fire it... What modifications are necessary to make it a shooter? I know sites are job #1 (should I try this myself?)... Cost is a factor. My goals are:
A)defense (reliability)
B)accuracy
It has been re-arsonaled by Vamm (?) and it feels tight ...
Many Thanks

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
How does it shoot now? I found a tighter fitting barrel bushing, a slicked up trigger (breaks at 3.5 to 4 lbs) and better sights (nice iron fixed will work) will improve groups. Most of the top notch shooters I used to compete with didn't have a whole lot more than that done to their guns. Usually, because we used a lot of SWC ammo, having the feed ramp polished and the chamber throated a little would help prevent feeding problems. But, that's not necessary if you stay with hardball ammo. Contrary to what some guys try to sell you; you really don't need all the doo-dads that are available out there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's hard to say, as I have not had enuff range time with it to really assess...OT, but when I did shoot it I had a heck of a flinch, prior to it I was shooting trap... I don't seem to flinch so much with a .22
I am rather busy at the moment, but plan to spend some time with it after the first of the year.
I debate wether it's better to learn the gun now or learn it post modification...
I appreciate your comments Sgt...

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Both the Sistemas and the Colt-made guns have the old long hammer which can really "bite" the hand. Not all of us have the problem (I do) but it can really cause a bad flinch pretty quickly.

My advice is to replace the hammer with a short spur one for shooting.

Jim

·
Registered
80 Posts
I measured the barrel, ID of slide, and then bought a drop-in bushing that was tight but didn't need fitting- about $10.

Check the barrel link and pin. Mine ws badly worn. Replacing it brought the bullet strike closer to point of aim and along with the bushing and a trigger job cut group size from 6-8" to 4" or so. Barrel link about $4, pin $1 or so.

I can only shoot it at 25 yards off a bench because of the poor sights, but at shorter distances they're OK.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts