1911Forum banner

Systema

1438 4
<><> Well, I did it. I went into my local gunshop today, to pick-up a front sight for my mini-14. In the glass case was a used series 80 Colt, for $650.00, and a Systema for $399.00. All the serial numbers were the same on the frame, barrel, and slide of the Systema. It had a Colt magazine in it. It looked to be in pretty good shape. I got it for $430.00 out the door. I'm thinking it was a little high, but I had a chance to inspect the gun firsthand.
Does it seem to high priced?
I'm thinking this will make a good project gun.
Any thoughts, or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
================================

<><> Raspy <><>
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
23,953 Posts
I always wonder when this question comes up, what would you do if everybody agreed you paid too much? Or if you had asked before you bought and I said I saw one cheaper... 500 miles away? How can it matter? You've got the gun. I know one guy who was on the lookout for a real bargain in a 1911 for at least 5 years, turning down everything that came along at an ordinary price. He finally found one, a whale of a good deal, way less than I paid. But I had been shooting mine for 5 years.

Anyhow, it sounds like you got a JLD grade 1 or equivalent, which is $300 wholesale plus shipping, plus dealer markup, plus sales tax.
I think it is worth something not to have to worry about getting a pig in a poke, too. I have been bitten too many times to mailorder a secondhand gun unless it is something just absoulutely unavalable any other way.
So you did alright. Shoot well.

· Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<><> Jim, I've been wanting a full size .45 for sometime now. I have a SS UC, and an all steel Compact. I just didn't know which full size to get.
There was a fellow behind me that was waiting to look at the Systema, so that kind of made up my mind for me.
Now I have to wait for the @#%$*& 10 day cooling off Ca. crap till I can pick it up.
Thanks for the reply.

========================

<><> Raspy <><>

· Premium Member
598 Posts
Raspy:

"A little high" is relative. As Jim said, Sistemas go for $300 plus shipping from JLD and CDNN. You can avoid dealer markup and sales tax IF you have a C&R or Class 01 FFL. C&R costs $30 application fee plus about 60 days waiting time IF your local Chief LEO (Sheriff or whatever) doesn't find some reason to object to issuance. You being in California, there might be other hassles I don't know about. Meanwhile you got to inspect the gun before buying, and avoid the potential hassle of having to return it. Enjoy it.

If you don't already know about it, a good site re Sistema projects is
www.roderuscustom.tzo.com

Check it out.

· Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<><> LenB, thanks for the link to that site. As I said, I got a chance to handle, and inspect the gun firsthand. That would seem be worth something.

======================

<><> Raspy <><>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.