1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To spare a great deal of explanation; suffice it to say that I am not 'up-to-date' on the going values for earlier postwar T and C series Hi Powers, and there is a very simple reason why: the Hi Power has never been at the forefront of my mind, for several reasons, but I encountered two examples today that make me reconsider this stance, one a '69C' series, the other a slightly earlier 'T' series example. Both are near mint, both were just being prepped for sale (from the same estate apparently). I've already agreed to go back to the shop tomorrow while still in town to see an Argentine 1927 that is supposedly all-original with no refurbishments.

These two deeply blued beauties however are lingering on my mind. As usual around here, no pics allowed, but both examples have one magazine and manual with the zipper pouch. The gent working today explained he had no idea what the shop owner intended to place for asking on them (and that the 1927 I'd gone to see wouldn't be available for inspection until tomorrow), so I'm treading the sold ads I can find and seeing numbers mostly in the low 4-figures for a high condition example of either.

In any case, even if he has an insane asking price or hasn't even bothered to tag them yet (my first time dealing with this shop) I suppose this might be good info to acquire as well as ay opinions on these, as after seeing ad handling them in person I can finally see why my dad was such a Hi Power fan.

Example pic below for reference only, not my gun nor the one for sale, just a similar grade (cosmetically) example of a T series example with identical basic features; combat hammer, standard sights, 9mm chambering.

Revolver Air gun Trigger Everyday carry Gadget

Thanks for any thoughts guys!

*I already know where I'm willing to go to on the 1927 IF it pans out - we'll see!

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
To spare a great deal of explanation; suffice it to say that I am not 'up-to-date' on the going values for earlier postwar T and C series Hi Powers, and there is a very simple reason why: the Hi Power has never been at the forefront of my mind, for several reasons, but I encountered two examples today that make me reconsider this stance, one a '69C' series, the other a slightly earlier 'T' series example. Both are near mint, both were just being prepped for sale (from the same estate apparently). I've already agreed to go back to the shop tomorrow while still in town to see an Argentine 1927 that is supposedly all-original with no refurbishments.

These two deeply blued beauties however are lingering on my mind. As usual around here, no pics allowed, but both examples have one magazine and manual with the zipper pouch. The gent working today explained he had no idea what the show owner intended to place for asking on them (and that the 1927 I'd gone to see wouldn't be available for inspection until tomorrow), so I'm treading the sold ads I can find and seeing numbers mostly in the low 4-figures for a high condition example of either.

In any case, even if he has an insane asking price or hasn't even bothered to tag them yet (my first time dealing with this shop) I suppose this might be good info to acquire as well as ay opinions on these, as after seeing ad handling them in person I can finally see why my dad was such a Hi Power fan.

Example pic below for reference only, not my gun nor the one for sale, just a similar grade (cosmetically) example of a T series example with identical basic features; combat hammer, standard sights, 9mm chambering.

View attachment 646135

Thanks for any thoughts guys!

*I already know where I'm willing to go to on the 1927 IF it pans out - we'll see!

Gunbroker will give you a decent price range but IMHO 10-20% higher than it should be.

Here is a search of completed or ended auctions for T Series. Tangent guns get the most while fixed sights are less. If everything looks like it does in the pic above "All the Money" for one of those is about $1500-$2250 depending on actual condition.

A C series in the same condition is a $1200-$1800 gun again depending on condition. A 69C is the samte gun as a 1969 T the only difference if the two guns is the inventory control letter used for the serial number. C series started in 1969 and T series continued until 1972-1973. Some people might value the C69 more than other C series because it was the first year of the C serial number guns.

These prices are what I would call market prices they are not what I would pay. They are inline with what I would ask if I was selling.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both @rellascout for exactly the info I was looking for (and it concurring with abut what I had guesstimated after reading for about 3 hours last night was a nice dove-tail) as well as @filson as that IS the question. I guess I won't even know if the guy is thinking realistically for sure for another hour or so, but I'll be sure and post if anything fun comes home. :)

TBH; I am kinda still hoping for the '27 - been wanting to add one of those for ages, heh...but good gracious those H-Ps were pretty!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2.3 and I think 2.5 for the T was his “lowest” - wouldn’t be surprised if they are there as more of a display/conversation starter along with a handful of other estate pieces with insane prices. There were about a half a dozen Baby Brownings out by the time I got there, standard blue configuration, but all pretty close to 1k - definitely seemed like a shop that likes to keep interesting older stuff around so they can be one of those “Oh sure we have one…for $x” - heck of a lot of stuff on open display with nothing written next to the asking on the tags; that sort of thing. Pistols as well, just not the ones I was looking at; though I did see everything from a plain 4” Model 10 to a properly proofed WWII Walther PP lacking any marked pricing.

Oh well; takes all kinds in all businesses; if it’s a business model that works for them it works, just not a shop I’ll be frequenting I suppose.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I wouldn’t either. We have some small stores here with the latest and greatest plastic guns spaced far apart to “fill” the display cases, and some with more variety, and a couple larger ones that do high volume. You’d hardly know gun sales were strong, based on the small stores. Probably because they can’t compete with the mighty Gunbroker.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldn’t either. We have some small stores here with the latest and greatest plastic guns spaced far apart to “fill” the display cases, and some with more variety, and a couple larger ones that do high volume. You’d hardly know gun sales were strong, based on the small stores. Probably because they can’t compete with the mighty Gunbroker.
That last statement is sad but definitely true.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
2.3 and I think 2.5 for the T was his “lowest” - wouldn’t be surprised if they are there as more of a display/conversation starter along with a handful of other estate pieces with insane prices. There were about a half a dozen Baby Brownings out by the time I got there, standard blue configuration, but all pretty close to 1k - definitely seemed like a shop that likes to keep interesting older stuff around so they can be one of those “Oh sure we have one…for $x” - heck of a lot of stuff on open display with nothing written next to the asking on the tags; that sort of thing. Pistols as well, just not the ones I was looking at; though I did see everything from a plain 4” Model 10 to a properly proofed WWII Walther PP lacking any marked pricing.

Oh well; takes all kinds in all businesses; if it’s a business model that works for them it works, just not a shop I’ll be frequenting I suppose.
That is too bad for you but in reality for the shop depending on what they have in the guns it is not out of the realm. Collectors are odd animals and sometimes they have a hole they need to fill and money is not an issue.

T series sold at $3225 + Tax & shipping

T series $3000+Tax and shipping

Now on the C series I think they are reaching but you never know....

$2400 + Tax and shipping

$1875+ tax and shipping

$1700+ tax and shipping

Reactions: plainview87

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Gun sales are really weak right now. The market has fallen off a cliff IMHO if you are trying to make money. Most places are just trying to move the metal and keep inventory fresh and are having to discount and add rebates to make it happen. In the world of disconinuted guns like the BHP and higher end guns things have come to a screaming halt.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I just read that Ruger's sales are way down, so that seems to be true.

With my luck, I'd put my mint C series BHP on Gunbroker and get a max bid of $800. I guess I need to find some shill bidders if I want to win that game.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I just read that Ruger's sales are way down, so that seems to be true.

With my luck, I'd put my mint C series BHP on Gunbroker and get a max bid of $800. I guess I need to find some shill bidders if I want to win that game.
No good pics. Good discription and good feeback general win the day. I prefer selling other places over GB but you can get top $$ there.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
In terms of relative resale prices for these 1960's 'T' series and early 'C' series, this vintage of the Browning Hi Power is probably the most coveted, whether 'collectors' or simply owners. Prices will ALWAYS be governed first and foremost by '..condition..'--best 'condition' = highest price. But there is also another factor that will add a premium to the price--the '..package..'.If you notice: a H-P in lesser '..condition..' than another will garner a high price because of the '..package..'--original mag, original black leatherette/red flannel case (especially if it still has the original paper tag w/matching serial number written on it sewn into the edge trim), original owners manual). This was the way it came from the local gun store when the original proud owner brought it home new.

P.S....As I recall, the original price for a '69 'T' series out-the-door at LGS, was something like $75.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts