1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
EB Kobra Carry, WC Protector, Colt Combat Elite, T Series BHP, and a Walther PPK to name a few faves
Discussion Starter #1
The Hi Power was my 80s gun. From about 1978 up until I started shooting IPSC in about 1987, I had a bunch of 'em. I loved them - and still do. But the 1911 took over my pistol safe and holsters. I've got several 1911s from Colt, Wilson, Brown, etc. But I always missed those damned Hi Powers. Their classic, elegant lines, their impressive, worldwide military record, and that feel in the hand - and the resulting pointability.

Last week I got the itch bad. So I scratched it. 馃ぃ

I found a T-Series on GB and bid what I was sure was too low.....but I won it! The seller did a poor job advertising it - never even mentioning that it was a T. But I looked at the serial number and, sure enough, it was. Got it for under $1k and felt very lucky to do so. Especially now that it has arrived. It's BEAUTIFUL! There's some blueing worn off on the high, sharper lines. The checkering n the wood grips is rather smoothed down...and the lacquer is almost gone in places. Itwas filthy dirty and dry as a bone. So....

I switched out the grips, did a detailed strip and clean, lubed her up, and went to the range. Wow. Just, wow.

The "humped" feed ramp is notorious for having some difficulty with modern JHP rounds. Nope. I fired over 150 rounds of mixed ammo of every type - from std FMJs to sub-sonics. From old, wide-mouthed JHPs from a variety of manufacturers to my preferred 147 grain Federal HSTs. Basically, I cleaned out the dreck from my 9mm ammo stash and threw it in 5 different mags. Then loaded two mags with the HSTs. Every round fed, fired and ejected perfectly. The pistol is damned accurate as well, and she only bit me once! (I'm waaaaay too accustomed now to the high grip afforded by a 1911 beavertail). It was just a love nip though - no blood, so all's well. (y)馃榿

The damnable mag disconnect was intact. But the trigger broke clean and crisp at about 5 pounds! After my session at the range, I pulled it out. Still crisp and clean break - now at about 4.5 pounds. And the mags, blessedly, drop free.

I am ecstatic.

I don't want to do anything to the pistol that can't be easily undone and returned to original specs. I have changed the worn grips for some Hogue aluminium grips. I'm going to leave the sights, tiny as they are for my ageing eyes, alone.

Now...about that one John Moses Browning goof - the thumb safety. I guess if God could make a platypus, Browning could make this tiny safety. But at least God had the good sense to hide the platypus down under. ;)馃ぃ

What do you guys prefer? The Cylinder and Slide or the BHP Spring Solutions safeties? I don't want it ambi, so it looks like I'd have to alter the C&S. Or is there another good choice out there?

Here she is after cleaning.

Attachments

Registered
EB Kobra Carry, WC Protector, Colt Combat Elite, T Series BHP, and a Walther PPK to name a few faves
Discussion Starter #6
Now that you鈥檝e adopter her do you need someone to take care of all those neglected 1911s?
Hahaha NO! She may be a sentimental favorite, and may find her way occasionally into my EDC rotation. But my Ed Brown Kobra Carry is still my main squeeze. lol And my Wilson is still my go-to for IDPA. :cool:(y)

Reactions: Dadjoker

Registered
Anything but a SFS. I would use a C&S. It currently is the best available aftermarket safety available as long as you do not get the ambi.

Reactions: Darkside007

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
They fit in a 1911 holster beautifully too, fwiw!
My "T" says hi!
View attachment 603826
That's a beauty! I wish my original wood grips looked that good! Some how they got the ccheckering smoothed down quite a bit - and even the varnish or lacquer is mostly gone. Gonna try to find some originals in better shape - though I'm starting to like the all black look with the aluminum Hogues. lol
As for fitting in the 1911 holsters...well, it does. But not well enough for my taste. Just ordered a new HF1 from Tucker. Phenomenal holsters.

Reactions: tray burge

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Anything but a SFS. I would use a C&S. It currently is the best available aftermarket safety available as long as you do not get the ambi.
Thanks for the recommendation. :cool:(y)

Premium Member
So I鈥檓 learning more everyday. What exactly is the nomenclature of your new piece? I feel like a young man again after getting into this. Any historical background links would be appreciated. My Google searches bring me to safes and spray guns.

Registered
Thanks for the recommendation. :cool:(y)

or

Registered
So I鈥檓 learning more everyday. What exactly is the nomenclature of your new piece? I feel like a young man again after getting into this. Any historical background links would be appreciated. My Google searches bring me to safes and spray guns.
The gun the OP purchased is a T series BHP.
  • The T series which is the first external extractor BHP. As others have noted many people consider these post WWII guns to be the best of the BHP in terms of fit and finish. The T was added to BHP serial numbers as an inventory code and accounting designation. Early Ts might have the older rust bluing but most guns by 1962-1963 get salt bluing which was a cost saving measure. Oddly this process created a deeper darker blue-black finish which is one of the things coveted about the T series. The real difference in the T series bluing compared to those that followed is that they were the last BHPs to be hand polished. They also received a lot of hand fitting which ended in 1970 when the polishing was done by machine.
  • They still have the smaller half moon sights and original nub thumb safety. Some have tangent or adjustable sights. They make great shooters but many people are buying them for collector value. Most people site that they were made from 1964 to 1969 but they still show up as late as 1972.
  • Based in the serial number and the *U inspectors mark this is a late T series. Th *U inspectors mark on the trigger guard was used by Jacques Fuchs from 1960-1968. The serial number T210487 puts it in the 1968 range which matches up with the *U inspectors mark.
  • The grips look original and most likely have red backing which is a protective sealant of some sort. It is a commercial gun which was made for the North American market because it has the Browning Rollmark with the St Louis & Montreal address. It is a very nice example.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
The gun the OP purchased is a T series BHP.
  • The T series which is the first external extractor BHP. As others have noted many people consider these post WWII guns to be the best of the BHP in terms of fit and finish. The T was added to BHP serial numbers as an inventory code and accounting designation. Early Ts might have the older rust bluing but most guns by 1962-1963 get salt bluing which was a cost saving measure. Oddly this process created a deeper darker blue-black finish which is one of the things coveted about the T series. The real difference in the T series bluing compared to those that followed is that they were the last BHPs to be hand polished. They also received a lot of hand fitting which ended in 1970 when the polishing was done by machine.
  • They still have the smaller half moon sights and original nub thumb safety. Some have tangent or adjustable sights. They make great shooters but many people are buying them for collector value. Most people site that they were made from 1964 to 1969 but they still show up as late as 1972.
  • Based in the serial number and the *U inspectors mark this is a late T series. Th *U inspectors mark on the trigger guard was used by Jacques Fuchs from 1960-1968. The serial number T210487 puts it in the 1968 range which matches up with the *U inspectors mark.
  • The grips look original and most likely have red backing which is a protective sealant of some sort. It is a commercial gun which was made for the North American market because it has the Browning Rollmark with the St Louis & Montreal address. It is a very nice example.

Dayum! Well yes! What Rella said! Well done, sir. I was figuring 1967 or 68 as well. This place is amazing. So much knowledge!
In my pre-1911, BHP days, I probably had one of every model/series made at some point or another - including some Argentinian pieces. I even bought a .40 when they first came out...took it to the range...and sold it off the next day. 馃ぃ Added recoil and lessened capacity. It made no sense to me after trying it.
But, for whatever reason, I always lusted after, but never acquired, a T-series. Now it's the only Hi Power I have - and I couldn't be happier.

Registered
Darkside, That is a nice one. I bought my first Hi Power back in the '60s, and like you owned a bunch of variations since. Don't recall ever having a bad one. I'm down to three now, a '66 T-series, '81 GP, and '89 MKIII.
Hi Powers (1) - Copy.JPG

Registered
The Hi Power was my 80s gun. From about 1978 up until I started shooting IPSC in about 1987, I had a bunch of 'em. I loved them - and still do.

... I'm going to leave the sights, tiny as they are for my ageing eyes, alone.

Now...about that one John Moses Browning goof - the thumb safety.
I got my BHP in 1982 and shot it in IPSC. My favorite load was 125 LRN over 3.5 grains of Bullseye.

I prefer the fixed sights but I got the beer can sights. Now the thumb safety I got use to it over all this years. The only thing I did was remove the magazine safety. I am a retired policeman and I work as an Armed Security Supervisor and a new job assignment the client wanted black leather duty gear so I am carrying the BHP.

Registered
I picked up a single side extended safety from C&S T least that is where I am remembering as I bought safeties from them, BHSS and Numrich about The same time. Anyway they make the extended safety with smooth corners to prevent catching on clothing. I put the mag disconnect and original safety from each of my HP鈥檚 that I changed in a pill bottle, marked as to the pistol they came from and stored in the parts drawer.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts