1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of clothing related questions.

First, I've been working on my draw stroke, while wearing a jacket, and found that it is very difficult to accomplish a clean draw with the jacket closed. Ideally one would leave their jacket open all of the time to fix this problem; but, thats just not possible. Does anyone have an idea on how to fix/avoid this problem?

Second, I recently noticed that, while wearing a pair of cargo shorts, if a magazine is placed in the cargo pocket it tends to fall over. Does anyone sell shorts with a magazine pouch in the pocket. If not, has anyone tried custom installing one?

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
With your weak hand grab your cover garment and pull it up and away from your weapon.

Buy a mag carrier that fits in your pocket, you don't want dirt and lint in your mag.

G

·
When wearing a cover garment I weight the lowest pocket with something like a pocket knife. If the jacket is open, slide hand under the garment and flip it out while continuing the draw stroke. The weight will carry the garment well out of the way for the draw.

As far as pants pockets and mag's, some makers over a pocket carrier similar to a pocket holster.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Usually it doesn't get cold enough where i live to warrant zipping up the jacket. But, imho, it's best to be prepared for those few days a year that it does.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Buy coats with snaps instead of or in addition to a zipper. Never use the zipper; zippers can jam. [Would that be a FTE?]

Snaps used to be the standard method to hold down "wind" flaps, but "velcro" seems to be more common now and unfortunately usually won't hold the coat closed very well.

I've added a single snap to the wind flap on a couple of coats that didn't have them. Used just a common 'dot' type holster snap, placed where you'd button a suit coat, at or just above belt level. Handier, too, than fumbling with a zipper for the quick run from the car to a store, etc.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Coats - if it is really tight at the bottom - yes, use your off hand. If it isn't really that tight - learn to do it all with your strong hand. That means SH grabs and lifts then comes back down for the draw - yeah, it IS harder. However, think about what you are giving up otherwise - a free hand arm to defend yourself with, not to mention that you really should be making the draw (and first shot) on the move and it is harder to do so with your weak hand crossed over your body and fighting to get your coat up.

The other thing to look for - double ended zippers - you can un-zip from the bottom up to where it is easier to draw.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
Coats - if it is really tight at the bottom - yes, use your off hand. If it isn't really that tight - learn to do it all with your strong hand. That means SH grabs and lifts then comes back down for the draw - yeah, it IS harder. However, think about what you are giving up otherwise - a free hand arm to defend yourself with, not to mention that you really should be making the draw (and first shot) on the move and it is harder to do so with your weak hand crossed over your body and fighting to get your coat up.

The other thing to look for - double ended zippers - you can un-zip from the bottom up to where it is easier to draw.

Good luck

If you are going to carry a weapon don't wear clothes that make it hard to accesss your weapon.

If somoene is close enough that I need my arm to defend myself I'd rather be able to get my pistol as fast as possible. Moving your weakhand to the center of your body is part of the draw stroke, extending it 12" to grab your cover garment isn't a big deal.

Crossing my arm over my body to get my cover garment away from my weapon in no way keeps me from being able to move away from the threat

You recommend a zipper over grabbing your cover garment with your weak hand? I don't think that is the quicker method.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Any tailored coat will be tighter, any coat with elastic at the bottom will be tighter, any coat that is buttoned or zipped will be tighter, a field length coat is longer...... one just has to learn to deal with it.

If someone really thinks that they are always going to be in a position to get to choose how close someone gets before they have to draw......

Committing both hands to the act of drawing is potentially a huge deal. Not to mention that it is a training thing - there is no reason one is faster or slower using two hands or one. I'd encourage that if someone is really interested in this subject that they seek out some stuff on the net from "South Narc" - better yet take a class - esp a force on force class. Yes, I want my weak hand free to provide protection - esp to my skull. As for crossing one's arm - A. I encourage that we all remember that the arms assist in balance B. I encourage that one get themselves a timer and run it. C. Better yet - get a buddy and an airsoft gun - start at arms length apart. Since one won't even be able to do the Heisman stiff arm as they are moving off the line (let alone protect their head if the attacker swings a club) think how easy it is for the attacker to take the angle and intersect the path of egress and wrap you up just like a football hit - these are but two reasons why one will see pretty quickly the advantage of learning to draw with one hand.

Double zipper - esp with field length winter coats allows the bottom of the coat to be loose and aids the draw but also keeps the coat closed for protection from the wind and maintains the silhouette.

At the end of the day it's winter - if someone carries and they aren't at the range making the draw from the clothes that are typical of what they wear during the week - they are fooling themselves. Given that it gets dark early - if they aren't shooting low light with a flashlight (that they carry as part of their CCW garb) - they are fooling themselves.

Just my opinion.

Good luck to all.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
You got questiions? I got answers!

Who knows, some of them might even make sense. :biglaugh:

First, get a mag pouch. You really don't want the potential of shoving a big fat wad of lint into your pistol when you desperately need a working firearm.

Learn both methods of drawing, the off hand reach and the thumb sweep. Both can be useful and have certain advantages. I was a firm proponent of the two handed method, but have since learned to like the thumb sweep. It's amazing what a little training can do, old dogs and new tricks.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Allow me to add a warning on coats/jackets: Drawstrings should really be called "fumble-your-draw-strings". Beware of them, generally speaking.

·
Registered
171 Posts
the 5.11 cargo pants have a magazine pouch sewn on the right thigh, but it isn't very concealed. I guess to the common eye, it could be percieved as a cell phone pocket

·
Registered
745 Posts
I too say get some belt mounted mag pouches. A loose fitting t-shirt is more than enough to conceal them when wearing shorts. And single stack mags ride fairly close anyway, in my experiences.

I rarely fully zip my jacket, as it just doesn't get that cold that often here in SC. But if I'm wearing a heavier jacket that I need to zip, I often put my G27 in an outside pocket. On fleece jackets, or other lighter jackets with elastic cord bottom draws, I pratice using my strong thumb to hook and pull the jacket up as I draw. It takes practice. I know when I was in LE we had jackets that were cut where the weapon rode. The cut had a zipper closure and a snap where it could be left open, closed around an exposed weapon, or closed around a concealed weapon. I don't know if anything is available in civi styles but if you were wearing a cover garment perhaps a jacket of this type if left open at the cut out could help you. I'm not sure. Also I think 5.11 and Woolrich Elite both have jackets with sewn in holsters.

-Hershey

·
Registered
128 Posts
If your in a situation where you can wear jeans.... the fob pocket in wranglers is just deep enough to hold a officers length mag with a dust cover the top. works especially well if your a lefty. For coats and jackets check out either Galls or Quartermaster. =oth specialize in LE gear and have a good selection off 'undercover' and off duty apparel. I would recommend you stay away from the law pro brand in Quartermaster, it will not hold up.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
I have a couple of clothing related questions.

First, I've been working on my draw stroke, while wearing a jacket, and found that it is very difficult to accomplish a clean draw with the jacket closed. Ideally one would leave their jacket open all of the time to fix this problem; but, thats just not possible. Does anyone have an idea on how to fix/avoid this problem?
What kind of jacket - suit jacket, windbreaker, winter coat?

If I wear a suit jacket, I have a pocket holster for the right side pocket and I put soemthign equally heavy in the left pocket to offset the weight.

If I wear a windbreaker or light jacket, I usually leave it unzipped or like the idea of something with buttons, so I can just button one middle button. I prefer IWB carry for warmer days.

If its a winter coat, I prefer columbia ski jackets or the type that have a double zipper - the kind where you can zip up the first zipper and then pull the bottom zipper up some so the bottom half of the coat is unzipped partially. You can't sweep the entire jacket out of the way, but it is easy enough to get to your gun. I prefer OWB carry for the winter because of all the extra clothing that can interfere with IWB carry options.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Do a search on the web for "concealed carry clothing" That might help.:)

·
Registered
951 Posts
I seem to recall in a recent magazine "Concealed Carry Handguns 2008" there are many articles written on conceal carry clothing, it was a very well written article and informative. Also the entire magazine is great to read. NOW if we can get the gun manufactures and the likes from Safariland, Galco........... to get on the stick and make some clothes and belts in say XXXXL up to say size 60 belt for the really "big uns" I wear a 52-54 belt and boy what a bite to find stuff. Also would love a SA "big un" size apparel.

Roy

·
Registered
361 Posts
It is possible to leave you jacket unzipped, I do it all the time. Yes, it is cold here in the winter but I use my weak hand to hold my jacket/coat closed. A velcro tab or two can be added as well.

For the magazine in cargo pants, you can get a pocket holster for it or use a belt pouch.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
i have two pairs of shorts i bought last summer that have a small cell phone pocket made inside the big pockets of my shorts.. it works great for putting a mag in. while it doesnt hold it tight, it keeps it upright and easy to get too.

if you wear your gun on your strong side hip, practice pulling up your upper garments with your weak hand and drawing... its not as fast, but you can get pretty quick at it.

russel
SDMF

1 - 18 of 18 Posts