1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'd take a look at purchasing a CQB then having a good smith like Dane Burns or Richard Heinie customize it from there. Should run about 800.00 - 1200.00 should save you 800.00 at least and be a better product IMO.

Good Shooting

·
Registered
541 Posts
I own 2 WILSONS 1-CQB and 1- DEFENSIVE COMBAT.
$1800 AND $2800 and unless you own a WILSON it's hard to understand,but the QCB is one hell of a pistol but the DEF. COMBAT which is simalar to the ELITE is a better pistol.It's all in what you want. I have a hard time deciding which to shoot. The CQB is all you need but then again the DEF. COMBAT is soooooo smooth ......ya pays ur money and ya takes ur chances........but no matter you CANNOT go wrong with a WILSON.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Unless you don't like Wilson products, there isn't much you will want or need to customize on a CQB that you can't get Wilson to do for you. I think I spent about $60 over the normal price and had some parts changed out that were MIM for CNC, plus changed a couple of parts for parts that I liked better than the stock issue. Such changes are no problem at all when you order the gun.

I think Danger's math is wrong. If Burns or Heine charge $800-1200 to customize a CQB, your cost will be equivalent to the Elite, but without the benefit of the heavy cone barrel. Such custom work is not necessary on the CQB. They will not make any substantical changes to the gun's accuracy which Wilson says will shoot 1" at 25 yards. Chances are, that is already a lot better than you (me and most of us) can do without using a Ransom rest. Maybe they could get the gun to 1" at 50 yards, but is that sort of improvement really going to make your shooting better? Probably not and if you plan to use the gun as a carry or defensive gun, then chances are your shots fired in defense will be at ranges 10 yards or less, probably much less. At that range, you could shoot a .45 acp derringer about as well.

Also, the gun is already going to have a great trigger pull, so no need for changes there. Plus, a reliability package won't be necessary for the gun since it will be reliable.

If you have a problem with the gun, Wilson will take care of it. Wilson customer service is supposed to be great.

Another thing, you can order a Wilson with the features you want and end up with a gun in probably 2-3 months (last I heard, this was their turn around time). You can get a stock CQB immediately from dealers like Terry Peters and then send it off and get the gun back many months later depending on the turn around time of Burns, Heine or any of the other smiths. Chances are, you won't see you gun anytime soon.

If you are dead set on getting it customized, then buy a stock Colt, Kimber, or Springfield and then send it off. You will save a lot of money that way.

If you go with a CQB, you will want to order a METAL guide rod plug with the gun since Wilson has some weird idea about plastic guide rods. They neglected any literature on the plastic rods when I recieved my gun and both wore out. Come to find out, I was supposed to have realized that they were disposable like the shok-buffs. So this is a fair warning.

If you like the idea of a muzzle heavy gun, something you would get with the Elite that has the heavy cone (bushingless) barrel and full length guide rod, then order the CQB with a full length tungsten guide rod. The extra muzzle weight really does dampen recoil substantially.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Sounds as old SPY has hit the nail on the head.........of course i didn't mention the $$$$$$$$ because Danger doesn't have a clue from what he/she speaks

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I have had a Wilson Tactical Elite with the hard chrome finish for about six months and feel that it is one of the best pistols that I have ever handled. The gun is completely hand fitted and you have to handle and shoot it to appreciate what a precision pistol it is. The heavy tapered cone barrel also makes it a little nicer to shoot in that I feel a little less muzzle jump. If you get the chance to look at one and handle it, you will understand why it is so relatively expensive. Mine is a very valued piece of my collection.

I purchased a new Wilson Protector and sent it to Dane Burns for a lot of work. This will not make it a better shooting pistol, but I will have a beautifuly unique custom pistol. You have to decide what is important to you and how much you are willing to pay for it. Best of luck. I don't think that you can go wrong here.

[This message has been edited by FB3 (edited 11-18-2001).]

·
Registered
19 Posts
I do speak from experience. a CQB runs 1800.00 Correct and to get Dane or Richard to Customize it Hard Chrome, new Trigger, sear, disconnector,full length guide rod, crown the barrel, custom fit grip safety, vedecki trigger, polish the slide rails etc.. will run 800.00 - 1200.00. a New Tactical Elite is running any where from 3500.00 to 3800.00 depending on where you buy it, not to mention you pay taxes on that extra cost which you don't pay on the custom work. SO by my math you're at 2600.00 - 3000.00 so even it runs 1200.00 and you can get a Tac Elite for 3500.00 your still 500.00 under worst case senario and you have a true custom smith doing the work. :p and Personally I'd rather have a traditional barrel. The benefits of a cone barrel, IMO, just aren't there.

[This message has been edited by Danger (edited 11-18-2001).]

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FB3, would you carry the T.E. on a daily basis... or is it "too much gun" to carry?

Thanks all for the opinions. I've been thinking about getting a Colt 1911 and then modifying it, but time is a consideration.

I'd rather have a reputable manufacturer make me their best defense pistol.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
nickcarr,

I do not carry on my person, so I can't give you an opinion on carrying the TE. However, it is hard to tell the difference between the TE and other full size 1911,s by handling them. The TE probably weighs a few ounces more than a standard barrel 1911.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
NickCarr, I would take a run over to Issaquah and look over Dan Burns' BCP he's making for Terry Peters. If you can't/won't wait, I'd go with a Millennium Protector, CQB or Protector for starters. Order a Burns BCP based on a Wilson Combat frame and slide (or whatever other frame/slide combo Dane recommends) and start saving your $. Your experience with the Wilson will give you a baseline reference on what touches you would want on your BCP.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Danger, I am afraid your experience may have led you astray. I don't know where you have gone to shop for a Tactical Elite, but where ever it was, they were going to rip you off at $3500 or more for a Tactical Elite. You can buy them all day long from Wilson Combat for $2850. I believe it is about the same price from Terry Peters as well. I think I will stand by my math.

If you want to check the details, here is the link to their web site:
http://www.wilsoncombat.com/pistols/tactical_elite.asp

Maybe you were confused and were thinking of the Classic Super Grade that costs $3495 from Wilson?

·
Super Moderator
1,875 Posts
Yup on the costs of the Tactical Elite. $2850. Supergrade is $3495. Yes, both are in stock and I have sold several.

All comments have been positive.

I have had three trade in Tactical Elites sold out from under me in the past three years. I keep trying to make one a possession but unfortunately merchandise pays the overhead.

The Tactical Elites I have shot have very fast lock up. Very good second shot follow up and seem to be more accurate but with my 51 year old eyes I would question that.

One I really liked one customer had the barrel and frame NP3'd with the slide in the traditional black armor tuff. Was an excellent looking gun.

I may try a Hard Chrome with the same accents from Wilson very soon.

Be safe and keep the brass flying

1 - 12 of 12 Posts