1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying a Kimber with the new Tactical Extractor or a SA TRO Operator. Should this Kimber extractor sway me to buy the Kimber, or will I be satisfied with the standard extractor on the TRP Operator.
Basically, what I am asking is, Will I have trouble adjusting or living with the older extractors on the older guns?????:confused:

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
Howdy and welcome! If you do a little search you'll find most experienced shooters are quite unhappy with the mandatory external extractors (I don't know why in the hell they call them "tactical"). If anything, they're making the original Kimbers worth even more!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that Glocks etc have these, and they are extremely reliable, and I was just wondering with all of the FTF, FTE problems with the 1911, If I should go ahead and buy the Kimber with the new extractor, and I would not have to adjust, etc.

I am new to the 1911, and want to only spend the money once on a gun I want. I just dont want to be disappointed after I buy the gun If I am goin to have problems with it... The wife is pregnant, so basically my gun buying days are over for awhile. Thats fine, I just want a damn good 1911!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am used to my Sig 220, and Glocks........

I have narrowed it down to the TRP Operator, and the Kimber Gold Combat with rail, with the new extractor... Input please, I am about to have a fit over this decision. Do any of you have any good pluses and minus for each gun that would help a new guy out?? PLEASE............... PLEASE..............:( :( :( :(

·
Registered
293 Posts
I don't mind the external extractors on the Kimbers. It looks just like the one Sig uses on their 229.

It's the long extractors I hate like on the S&W. The external ones on all my Glocks and Sigs have been flawless as well on my Team Match.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Don't make this choice based on anything as piddly as the extractor. There's a heckuva lot more relevant differences between the TRP Op and the TLE/RL II than that durn extractor.
Or even the Series II.
Full length vs. short rail, adjustable sights vs. fixed, 20 vs 30 LPI checkering, minor weight difference...
Unless you're just totally oblivious to all that, plus the minor differences in feel, the extractor should be the last thing on your mind.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The reason I got rid of all my 1911's five years ago was because of the extractors. The reason I recently bought a 1911 (Tactical Pro II) was because of the external extractor. I don't have enough rounds through the gun yet to know if this was a wise decision but I hope I'm right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts