1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at these tactical leg strap drop holsters in places like Brigade Quartermasters, Blackhawk, and Uncle Mike's. Now, who out there owns one? How do you like it? I like the fact that you can drop it below a coat and have it accessable (or below a fanny pack while hiking.) My questions are:

1.) Is it comfortable? I remember that the protective mask pouch in the army also strapped to the leg, but I can't remember if it was comfortable or not now.
2.) Do the straps rub or chafe the leg? (And a male question: The top leg strap doesn't bind or squish the ol' wedding tackle does it?)
3.) Does the holster ride pretty snug?
4.) Can the holster be used i a hip-carry position as well?
5.) Overall satisfaction?

------------------

Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those that don't

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've been using a thigh holster on a SWAT team for a couple of years now. I find them to be very comfortable.Most of us on the team use the Safariland. The ones with a contured back plate seem to stay put much better than those without. Look for wide elastic leg straps as they "give" and are more comfortable when moving. Also the drop on the thigh is ajustable so you can miss the "wedding tackle".

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Rainman has summed it up. Make sure that whatever brand you decide upon, has at least 1 1/2" wide straps. I believe all the brands you listed do. Some cheaper brands have thinner straps and they can be quite uncomfortable.

The downside to this style holster is that while allowing for a fast draw and easy access, it also keeps the firearm perfectly located to bash into all kinds of things. There is nothing to stop the holster from getting caught on sticks, boulders etc. if you should brush up against them. A connventional waist holster allows your arm and elbow to shield the gun in most cases. You will have to conciously change the way you walk around things if you have a drop holster on. You will notice bumping into all kinds of things that you never noticed before you started wearing a drop holster.

My recommendation - give up a bit of speed for the protection and security of a standard belt holster.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi Kevan,

Thigh/Drop-Leg/Tactical/Etc... holsters really attract alot of attention if you aren't looking to be involved in "overt" operations. I really wouldn't recommend them outside the military or le environment, b/c they attract too much attention, get in the way, and don't really do anything that a smaller, lighter, and more discreet belt holster can do better.

Thigh holsters were developed were to allow access to one's firearm while wearing tactical body armor. They have since become a status symbol for being "high-speed", and many folks don't take advantage of their original design intent. They are often worn so low on the leg that the returns on it's practicality diminish rapidly.

They can be comfortable. The straps can irritate your leg, depending on how tight you need to run them. You should have your holster ride snug, but we've seen them worn like a fashion accessory, left to flap in the wind. Generally, thigh holsters don't convert well to belt holsters, although, if you need a thigh holster because of your tactical body armor, ideally it isn't too low off of your belt line. Good thigh holsters work extremely well for what they are designed to do- just make sure your application fits the need.

Tactical Tailor Drop Leg Holsters

We carry Tactical Tailor Drop leg holsters for those of you who like traditional thumb break style holsters (anyone interested, email us for a discount on these holsters). For non-traditional retention systems, the Safariland 6004 is the holster to beat. HTH!

------------------
SKD Tactical Accessories
www.skdtac.com
Your source for hard-core, no-bs gear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts