1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not had very much experience with 1911s in general. I have owned a Tactical Pro II for about 4 mths and this is my first 1911 .45 (I also have an original colt commander in .38 super). I notice on the cold shots, i.e. about the first 11 or so rounds I fire through the gun after taking it right out of the bag, the rounds literally draw a line from where I aimed on the first shot and just keep going down with hardly any deviation to the left or right. After the 1st mag the target looks like this

O
O
O
O
O
O
O

You get the picture. After about 2 mags this problem disappears and I can achieve very tight groupings. Is this a common occurence? I would think with this type of gun (or any defense handgun) it should make pretty consistent cold shots since those are the shots that will save your life. Any info on this would really be appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Vertical strings could indicate the barrel is springing. On the other hand, it could also indicate that your recovery is off on subsequent shots until you get warmed up. Try this......load one round in the mag and shoot. Then drop the mag and load another round and shoot. Do this 5 times and see if you still get the strings to see if its you or the gun.

·
Registered
61 Posts
One other thing you can try is to get someone to load your magazine for you and mix in some snap caps.

When you fire the gun you wont know if its really going to go bang or not since you wont be sure if you are hitting a snap cap or a live round.

It will be easier to see whether or not you are anticipating the recoil by pushing the gun forward and down.

I once stopped shooting for a year. When I picked up my pistol again I drew that very line on the paper you are drawing. I had a buddy mix in some snap caps and voila it was me. Just like you once I got warmed up I didnt do it anymore.

Heck it might not be a bad idea to try it off a rest too. If that dont work its probably the gun. In any event I hope you get the problem resolved. Let us know how it goes!

Student

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went to my range Kruzr and did as ordered, all 5 shots went from a cold gun into a single hole ;) I would've never thought it was me in this case (I have some experience w/ long distance competition shooting etc and have learned to ignore the recoil of a .300 win mag 190gr). I suppose I just have a lot to learn in the vein of serious handgun shooting. I appreciate your help. Thanks to you Student for your suggestions also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts