1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to the site and CWP carrier for about 2 months now. I have been interested in Kimber for quite some time and I have been shooting since I was about 10 years old(I am 22 now). I have a used Kimber Tactical Pro II pistol on layaway. I wanted to see what you all thought of this particular pistol and what I should look out for and also what I shold be proud of. I'm almost certain that there were less than 300 rounds fired through this gun. My father agrees (he was a small arms instructor in the Air Force about 20 years ago). From what I can see it seems to be in good condition and it fires well. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think you will enjoy carrying this gun.

The Tacticals have an aluminum frame. Some decry the durability of aluminum 1911s, but I don’t worry too much about it. That said, my favorite range gun is a 4” aluminum frame Pro Carry II.

My experience is that the 4” barrel is a force to be reckoned with on the range. It is capable of some stunning accuracy. Ragged 1 hole groups are the norm with mine and I can even outshoot my Ruger .22 if the range gods are smiling on me.

If it only has 300 rounds through it, it isn’t through the 500 round factory recommended break-in period yet. Put 200 rounds or so of your favorite carry ammo through it before calling it good. Also, make sure it is well lubed during break-in.

Good Luck :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I'm amazed that it can outshoot a ruger .22 but hey. I've heard great things about Kimber. I can't wait to get it off layaway. Oh, what type of holster would you recommend for concealed carry of this gun? I am a scrawny person and even concealing a Taurus 85 in my pants at the 6 O'clock position is a strech. I was thinking a shoulder holster during the colder months would be best for this gun. Any more help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
555 Posts
Vm Ii

Darengin said:
Oh, what type of holster would you recommend for concealed carry of this gun? I am a scrawny person and even concealing a Taurus 85 in my pants at the 6 O'clock position is a strech. I was thinking a shoulder holster during the colder months would be best for this gun. Any more help would be appreciated. Thanks
Milt Sparks Versa Max II.
Good luck. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
My Tactical Pro II was my first 1911 model and my primary carry weapon. This has been a awesome pistol, I have no complaints. I use a Milt Sparks Versa max II IWB holster as well, a top notch combo. Since buying the Tac I have purchased six other 1911's and the Kimber still holds it's own. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
tactical pro II

i only have one peice of advice. make sure the ramp is polished
mine was not and i had to send it back to kimber.this handgun
is the best 4 in barrel handgun i ever shoot. dead on up to 50 ft.
also i had to polish top corners of mags from kimber and found
mag was hitting ramp.i think you should get diferent mags or maybe
try those new kimpro mag when you buy it.
good luck

·
Registered
555 Posts
dougehr1 said:
i only have one peice of advice. make sure the ramp is polished
mine was not and i had to send it back to kimber.
Darengin,
I would suggest shooting the gun to see if there are any problems before doing mods, such as polishing the feed ramp. Mine required no feed ramp work (or any other work for that matter) and it shoots just fine.
Good luck. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice guys! I am no novice when it comes to ramp polishing, We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Alright, since no one chimed in yet...........Your frame is anodized aluminum, If it is polished too much it will loose the hardness of the process.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow, good to know, thank you

1 - 10 of 10 Posts