receiver is the federally controlled part, so these must be shipped
to FFL. Barrels are steel sleeved.

I saw these on TV yesterday. Look very interesting. Anyone have
experience with these ?

Joe

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Yup, I have four of them, three for Ruger Mark II pistols and one for a Buckmark. Two are threaded four-inch barrels for a suppressor, one is a 6" model for my daughter, and one is a ten-inch model that I use to hunt small game. The barrel on a Buckmark is not the firearm, so there is no need to transfer the Buckmark barrel via an FFL.

The pluses are they are very accurate, reliable, very light, and very well made. Sights are better than the Ruger factory sights. Installation is easy. The negative is they are so light it is sometimes hard to keep the gun steady.

·
Super Moderator
13,559 Posts
I'll post pics of mine when I get home. Mine is the upper for a Ruger, so the upper is the ATF controlled item (firearm). I screw an AAC Pilot can on it, it's super quiet especially when using subsonic ammos. Scott's post is spot on.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I've got a 6" on a Ruger 22/45 lower. It is incredibly light and quite accurate. As a result, you have to be pretty steady to shoot it well. It's a great companion gun to carry.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
can you do one of these without having to buy a whole pistol to get the grip frame? I have never seen just a frame forsale. my local gunshop has three or four 4'' tapered ss barrels with reciever tubes, and i imagine they will be there for a while. I have seen one pic on the internet of a fellow that made his own grip frame, but dang, thats a whole lot of work.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I just happened to have the 22/45. If I didn't already have one, I'd keep my eye out for a used one. My local gunshops have carried several well used Ruger pistols lately, going for $110 to $150. Making the lower would be well beyond my capabilities. Taking it apart is enough of a challenge.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had a Tac Sol barrel on my 10-22, that gun accounted for alot of squirrels. It was VERY accurate with CCI CB longs and made about as much noise as a hammer hitting a board. I want one of theri barrels for a Buckmark, then you don't have to deal with the whole upper issues you have with the Ruger.

·
Super Moderator
13,559 Posts
Scott:
The AAC Pilot is very nice and quiet, quiet enough to shoot in my garage. The Tac Solutions' upper has a thread protector that is handy too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts