1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
72,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Don't carry your cell phone pouch next to your magazine pouch!!!

An amusing thing happened this afternoon as I was out shooting one of my GI .45s in a vintage holster setup. I decided to try to see how fast I could shoot and reload from the GI mag pouch, and in doing so accidentally pulled up the flap to my cell phone holder instead (which was clipped to my jeans belt) and grabbed onto the phone before I realized what I was doing wrong. I was focused on the target and wasn't looking down to see what I was actually grabbing.

And yes, while it was just an amusing incident at the range I think it highlights a risk that gun carriers might face, if under the stress of a reload you momentarily forget where your spare mag is or you keep a phone, flashlight or whatever too close to your mags. :dope: Fortunately this isn't even remotely close to my actual daily carry ensemble (except for the phone) so it's not like I have to make any adjustments.

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
But were you able to load it into the pistol? :biglaugh:

·
Administrator
72,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fortunately I didn't get that far, but I'm glad I was shooting alone because it was pretty embarrassing. :eek:

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
I am so glad then when I retired I quit carrying a cell phone. But I now carry a gun all the time ( one of them rotary guns - no bottom feeders for me). Had to have the phone for the job but couldn't have the gun on the job. Worked out pretty good. Just be glad you didn't put the phone up to your ear.......

·
Registered
21,844 Posts
I always wondered about those pouches with one slot for a magazine and the other for a flashlight. What caliber is that Surefire, anyhow?

·
Banned
7,779 Posts
From experience a iPhone 6 will fit in an ar magwell

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
I had no problem loading my flip phone into a standard GI 1911A1, but my IPhone won’t fit ... so I am looking for a magwell

·
Administrator
72,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe there is a video by Paul Harrell where he discusses the argument for and against taking your eyes off the threat long enough to look down and see what you're doing while reloading. I've long been of the opinion that you never take your eyes off the threat, but today taught me that it's contingent on your gear being exactly where you expect it to be and even be oriented correctly. Concealed carriers don't normally have spare mag holders right on the front of their belt with the mags hanging halfway out for an easy grab. Many of us keep the spare in one of our pockets and have to fish it out after it already rotated around inside the pocket.

All I was trying to do was see how fast I could dump the empty mag and get another mag out of a GI snap pouch while some invisible Japanese was charging at me with a Samurai sword screaming "Banzaiiiii!!!". Instead I nearly hit him with a WeChat message instead.

·
Registered
346 Posts
You are supposed to be focused on shooting...leave the damn phone in the car...

When I go shooting...it is for pleasure...I don’t want anybody bugging me.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I don't seem to have these problems. I wonder, why?

Attachments

·
Administrator
72,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I stubbornly clung to a flip phone as well until it was destroyed in a freak range accident. A guy near me was shooting at steel placed a little too close and the bullet came back and whacked me right on my phone, which I kept clipped on my belt in the same location as above. It hit just hard enough to crack the outer shell of the phone and break the LCD. Had it hit me instead of the phone it likely would have caused a bleeding wound, so I was lucky. After that I decided to join the rest of the modern world and get an iPhone. Probably more bulletproof anyway.

·
2,941 Posts
I believe there is a video by Paul Harrell where he discusses the argument for and against taking your eyes off the threat long enough to look down and see what you're doing while reloading. I've long been of the opinion that you never take your eyes off the threat, but today taught me that it's contingent on your gear being exactly where you expect it to be and even be oriented correctly. Concealed carriers don't normally have spare mag holders right on the front of their belt with the mags hanging halfway out for an easy grab. Many of us keep the spare in one of our pockets and have to fish it out after it already rotated around inside the pocket.

All I was trying to do was see how fast I could dump the empty mag and get another mag out of a GI snap pouch while some invisible Japanese was charging at me with a Samurai sword screaming "Banzaiiiii!!!". Instead I nearly hit him with a WeChat message instead.
I think it had to do with speedloaders. It may have been in his response video to Caleb.

·
Registered
63 Posts
DSK don't feel too bad. As we get older things just get a more confusing.

I'd think this is just another classic CALL for help.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
...as long as your ring tone is a series of gun shots, I don't see a problem.

·
Registered
115 Posts
This is why police officers have to be mindful of where they place equipment on the belt. Potential to grab the wrong thing under fire. There’s been at least one instance I know of of an officer shooting when they meant to taze, not even realizing they drew and fired a gun until they put a round down range. The ones who remain aware of this try not to put anything that feels too much like a gun or a magazine near those items, although it gets hard if there’s a ton of gear down there.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I saw a video where the instructor said to lift you gun up to where you can see both the weapon and the threat. He called it "your work area". Then you can reload, or address a malfunction, and still see the threat.

Harry,
Looking for a magwell was funny.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts