1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys.... considering the purchase of a Tactical Ultra II and would like to tap the insight of those on the Board whom have experience with this model (or those similar). I am not totally new to Kimber in that I have a Series 1 Compact Stainless which has performed flawlessly over the years. The only problem I have encountered is surface corrosion (of all things) under the rubber grips and on the carbon steel bbl.

My inquiry relates to a few issues - recoil, corrosion resistance (slide), black oxide durability and Series II safety. I live in a subtropic climate requiring a small (preferably light) CCW. The Compact is a fine shooter but does get a little heavy at times. I also carry a modified G-32 which I consider my "beater" for "on the water" activities and such. But I have found that due to the weight difference I end up carrying the G-32 more frequently. I do prefer, however, a 1911 platform - thus my interest in the Tactical Ultra II (similar weight to G-32).

I am curious as to the reliability, manageable recoil (double taps)and accuracy from a 3" bbl .45 . Also, my experience is that black oxide / parkerized finishes are never really that durable and aside from asthetics there is the corrosion factor - especially in a substropic climate. Any different for the Kimber Tactical Slide? I have no experience with Series II Grip Safety system and would appreciate experience based comment. The concept to me is sound and I am for anything that can make the gun safer - however not at the expense of reliablity and function.

I have also considered the Ultra CDP II w/ SS Slide however prefer a "dark" gun for CCW and the Tactical seems to offer additional features. The only other model I am considering currently is a Wilson KZ (apples and oranges). I would be obliged for factual insight that anyone could offer regarding these concerns - positive and negative.

Thanks for your insight - MT.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Kimber made a limited run of what may be just what you need - Ultra CDP Elite II. Black KimPro resin finish over SS slide and Alum frame. I seen two on the auctions the other day. gunbroker.com and auctionarms.com.
I have an ultra CDP and it shoots good. 2.5 - 3 in. @ 25 yd both handed standing. The recoil is about like my glock 27. Should be less than the G32 I don't get to practice enough with either one to do good double taps.
It's a great 3" barreled 1911. Ceckering, night sites, develed. Then they put Kim Pro on the elites.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pete!

I will have to keep my open for one of those elites. I would even settle for a carbon steel slide with the KimPro. I think that should offer plenty of anti-corrosion and should be more durable than the anodize. Have you experienced any problems with the firing pin safety?

thanks! - MT

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ultra Carry II coloring....

I had my brand new Ultra Carry II DiamondKoted by M&R Services a gun and gunsmithing shop in Mt Clemens Michigan and I LOVE IT!

I had it finished in OD green which looks like parkerizing but is smoother to the touch and NO GLARE. Plus with the Novak NS and rubber grips all in black, there is a nice contrast.

I'm tellin ya it looks GREAT. OK, I'm prejudiced! I liked it so much I had my Colt Pony PocketLite AND my Colt CAR-15 A3 both done in the OD DiamondKote. Very cool and I don't worry about any corrosion.

If anyone would like pics I can e-mail, but I always have a difficult time posting pics on forums...I've tried with no success!

Cheers!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey KimberKop.... I would be very interested in some pics and if you don't mind... an estimate of what I could expect it to cost for an Ultra Series slide. Thanks much. MT

·
Registered
52 Posts
Gimme an e-mail address and I ship you some pics.

As for the cost, go to their site for more information. I can say I was pleased with there speed and knowledge. It helps that they are a Kimber Masterdealer (whatever that mean!) and they REALLY know and love Kimbers.

http://www.mrarms.com/index.html

Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts