1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
? Definately different.This is new I take it?I'd love to hear the reason for that and see the barrel.The open rail over the SS hole isn't a biggie but what's up with their idea of a linkdown stop?Did Rem figure out something nobody else did or Bubba had it?Hellofanice cut whoever did it,but I want to hear an explanation for it.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Not hardly even a shade tree smiff myself but I bet I can guess what your gut is telling you, same as mine. You get a vertical measurement on that wedge 'cause right now it looks like you're "pitchin iron" without a cure (if you catch my drift).

·
Premium Member
11,483 Posts
Looks like an invitation to sheared lugs. If you tried to do a bow tie cut, you would end up with a couple tiny triangles on each side. There are lots of guns floating aroud out there with that. None that I have seen have been from a top tier 1911 manufacturer. I was loking at a Detonics a couple days ago and thinking about asking the pros how to correct just such a problem. And it was not as bad as the one you pictured.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I'm pondering is whether it would be worthwhile to try to articulate my concerns to Remington and get them to do something about it. As it stands now, I don't see any point in doing any work to this gun at all until the VIS can be addressed.

I suppose cutting it for a ramped barrel is an option, but it seems kind of a waste for .45.

·
Registered
463 Posts
What I'm pondering is whether it would be worthwhile to try to articulate my concerns to Remington and get them to do something about it. As it stands now, I don't see any point in doing any work to this gun at all until the VIS can be addressed.

I suppose cutting it for a ramped barrel is an option, but it seems kind of a waste for .45.
I'm guessing that they won't want to do anything about it, but I think they should be made aware of a potetial problem and atleast given the chance.

·
Registered
175 Posts
While it may not have the "bow tie" (lots of 1911's don't), it looks as though the lugs are hitting evenly. I don't see the problem and I doubt Remington would either, at least until failure. Does the gun function ok?

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
While it may not have the "bow tie" (lots of 1911's don't), it looks as though the lugs are hitting evenly. I don't see the problem and I doubt Remington would either, at least until failure. Does the gun function ok?
Ask yourself this question: what is the purpose of the relief cut that creates the "bow tie" look over it?

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ken, this is a box stock R1?

Are they all being made like this?
Yes, it's box stock. I don't know if they're all being made like this or not. It'd be interesting to see photos from other R1 owners.

The gun functions OK. I want to cut the frame for a beavertail before I shoot it any more, but if the barrel is doomed from the beginning, I don't want to void my warranty.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Ask yourself this question: what is the purpose of the relief cut that creates the "bow tie" look over it?
I understand the cut on the VIS along with the purpose, but do you see a real problem in those photos? If the bottom of the lugs were hitting earlier that would be one thing, but there doesn't appear to be any evidence of that. While it may not be "ideal" I would bet on a long life for that barrel...or are you seeing something that I'm not?

·
Premium Member
11,483 Posts
At least on one that is not so severely relieved, the lugs have the opportunity to strike the VIS higher up. On this one, they have no other place to strike the VIS other than down low. Lots of leverage pounding on those lugs a (relatively) long way from the barrel will put a lot of strain on them. Barrels have sheared lugs with less strain than that. Wilson won't warrantee their barrels without the bowtie. No way they would give credit on one that failed in this gun. The pic of the marks on top of the barrel bed give the impression that the fit is not right there either. How much gap between the top edge of the frame ramp and barrel in link down?

·
Premium Member
14,423 Posts
No doubt, it is wrong, and jeopardizes the barrel's life. Send the pic in an email.

LOG

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I understand the cut on the VIS along with the purpose, but do you see a real problem in those photos? If the bottom of the lugs were hitting earlier that would be one thing, but there doesn't appear to be any evidence of that. While it may not be "ideal" I would bet on a long life for that barrel...or are you seeing something that I'm not?
The barrel can't impact the VIS in its most robust area- there's no VIS there!

The only available area for the lugs to impact against is too low. Impacting this low is going to repetitively apply shearing stress until stress wins and barrel loses.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts