1911Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 1911-carrying fire captain friend and fellow forum member Harley Rider is shipping out tomorrow for SoCal. My thoughts and prayers are with him and all the folks serving down there. God bless and hurry back Michael!

·
Vendor
1,642 Posts
Thanks for the heads up about Harley. I also wish him a safe return.

I grew up in L.A. and experienced numerous fires over 20+ years but never had to fight one. Several came close to our home. The orange glow and smoke at night is particularly ominous.

This one sounds like one of the worst ever.

·
Registered
169 Posts
He will have no problem!

A 1911 carrying fireman? AND.. a Harley rider.. sheeetzzz the fire does not stand a chance does it??

Good luck man be careful!!!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Those of us here at "ground zero" in San Diego really appreciate the help. A number of the AZ firefighters were on the local news last night....had just arrived, were getting briefed, and were about to deploy. Bless all those guys, and especially you, Michael. Arrive home safely.
Best regards,
Deke

·
Registered
687 Posts
Believe me, we can use ALL the help we can get. It's bad here, one of my co-workers was one of the first to lose his home, early Sunday morning. Told to leave at 2:30 AM and all he got was he and his wife and their dogs. His guns, family photos, paperwork, all were (had to be) left behind. They had maybe 10 minutes, the fire was that close. His horse and mule were set loose, but he spent an agonizing few days until yesterday, when he finally was able to go back up there. Both animals survived, thank goodness and where standing near the remains of the barn, waiting for them.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Take care, Harley!

Our thoughts and prayers are with Harley, all the firefighters and of course everyone who has been displaced or lost their homes and property in this terrible conflagration. I cannot fathom why anyone would want to live in the PRK. But I do feel for the families who have lost so much in this and the countless other fires that have visited the state.

Take care Harley!

·
Registered
550 Posts
stay safe and thanks for the great job ALL FIREFIGHTERS DO. you guys wil have your hands full down there to say the least. which i am sure you guys know.. but none the less i hope for a good day on friday with possible rain in the forecast. now time to put out some fires...... godspeed!!

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I am back, got home very late last night. I spent my days in the El Cajon,Julian and Pine hills area. To say the Loss these folks had was large doesn't even begin to tell the truth. Take what you saw on the news and X 10 and you are getting close. I made it to the base camp just west of El Cajon about 90 min before FF Rucker was killed in the Julian/Wynola area. That was hard to take. Our strike team (Five engines/four personnel each and leader) did structure protection south and west of Julian. The weather cooled but the winds kept up. My heart goes out to all the people who lost their property or love ones. I want to thank ALL the people of that area that GAVE from their hearts. The Vol. that came out to give was just great, we (the firefighters) were well taken care of by the locals. They gave and gave. We had people from San Diego in our base camps giving blankets, pillows and even children Bringing Us candy on 10-31. They took there time to give to us.
If you do not have any experience with a FireFighter - We are a different breed. No firefighter wants to see anyone loose anything - but if it has to happen they Want to be there to help. If allowed, every firefighter I know would have been on the front lines in a split sec if they could. Its what they do - We want to be there. Ca will survive this, they will rebuild. The problems in the last few decades is that people love to live in/with nature. We build 1,000,000 homes on a ridge top, the view is fantastic - but when the fire starts, watch out. My fellow firefights told me that this firefight was like no other. One sec the winds were coming from one direction - then switch and come from the other. Some fires just can not be stopped until they run out of fuel... I thank all you and all the people of the Julian/El Cajon/ San Diego area, my prayers and thoughts are with you as you start to rebuild.

I want to give a very special thanks to the Massage therapist that came to the base camps to offer free massages to the tired and sore Firefights. This was a first in any base camp I have seen and VERY much liked by everyone. These people worked many hours and gave their all and would not take a dime in return. Southern CA - you can be very proud of how your people turned out to help their neighbors - they do care

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
After Wednesday night at about 5,000 feet at a super old and very nice house just off "Deer Lake park Road" - the weather at "Gunsite" in March will be a walk in the park. This house I am talking about "we found out" is close to 75+ years old and is all rock with metal shutters - this house was built to last - but the Wind chill factor rocked this ole city boy to his bones. We spent may hours putting out hot spots and checking houses of the lucky ones.... One "feel good story" a Firefighter (do not remember where he worked) lives in a small area (Via Cenote area) just off Deer lake park road {between Julian and Pine Hills}. He was one of maybe two people who choose to stay - a Sheriff came by and told him to "get out" - his reply - then shoot me - Well the sheriff left him and he stayed and save several homes in his area, with little or no help - his street was off the beaten path. Did not get his name but these home owners own this guy a lot. He had his own pump and fire hose and worked through the night setting back fires and fire fighting to save his neighbors homes (back fires if set correctly can be very effective - but you Better know what you are doing or you will surly kill your self and make matters even worse... There are many stories like this where neighbor helped neighbor - make ya feel good to hear these in these bad times...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts