1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
73,789 Posts
I've never seen one of these in near-mint shape. Do you think the finish is original?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It's hard to say, I think there's some covered over pitting. There appears to be too many imperfections on the frame and slide for my comfort with it at that price. The seller claims no import marks and that makes me wonder if the gun wasn't stripped and the metal sanded and buffed. I think I'd have to see this one up close. $1225 and it didn't hit the reserve... I don't think I'd want to go that high.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They have always been undervalued IMO other than the ones that looked like they were dragged down a 1000 miles of dirt road. In my experience they make excellent shooters and normally interchange with most Colt or clone parts. Even the last batch with the stamped all over slides have decent frames that would make the basis for a project. However, the one on the auction sure got my attention. If it were for sure original and not a resto I could see $1000 to $1200 maybe, but beyond that, I don't think so.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Same thoughts here. Too much finish/blue over damage and dings, should be some silver there...also, serial numbers and other alpha/numerics look pentagraphed. No a lot of finish wear either for a gun that old with dings on it....I theen it iss a phony.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts