1911Forum banner

1911 full size + compact or Glock full size and compact?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have always been a 1911 fan, have owned and worked on several (all in .45) and carried them for 20 years as an off duty gun. Duty gun for the last 15 was a Glock 22- full size 40- retired from the PD now.
Currently own a Citadel full size and carry a Colt New Agent. Practice gun/toy is a GSG 1911 .22.

I just acquired a Glock gen 4 21, the full size .45, because it was OD green and a bargain :biglaugh: It is currently my only Glock
I'm having a mental wrestling match with getting a compact Glock in .45 to replace the New Agent, and then building up the 21 with supressor night sights and a threaded barrel, 27 round mags....:eek::eek:

I'm quite accustomed to Glocks, having and carrying the 22 and 23 on duty, and having had and carrying a 36 for a while as backup/off duty. I ended up selling the 36 when I needed cash at some point. I liked the gun, it was 100% reliable and extremely accurate; had night sights. I never liked the 6+1 capacity though.

Having 1 more round with the New Agent (7 rnd mag +1) and the more compactness/thin-ness of the compact 1911 is what took me back to it. I carry it waistband or in an ankle holster very comfortably all day. I also like the thin-ness of an extra mag if I need to carry 1 or 2.

Dilema/choice: keep the 21 for the range/HD/apocalypse/offensive use weapon and go with similar for EDC with a 36 or the new 30s (even thicker frame but 11 rounds of 45) and benefit from not carrying a $1k gun on my ankle, (I could easily fund the 21 build and a 36/30s purchase from selling the NA and Citadel or;

screw tupperware- keep the 1911's!!

I hope this doesn't turn into a 1911 vs Glock debate, but rather a 'which Large gun with companion compact for concealed carry' debate...and yes, this IS a 1911 forum, which is why I want your opinion!

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I think you've made a very long post trying convince yourself to get another Glock!
And that's fine with me. Only you know your tastes and abilities with any given pistol. :)

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
There is nothing wrong with a nice Glock. I have three of them. I bought them for an agency I worked for back in the day. They are very nice guns. Go ahead, get the Glock and put yourself at peace.

Personally, I no longer carry a Glock. I did at one time, but I use a fanny pack most of the time in the summer. I'm kinda fat at this point in life and I wear a fishing shirt loose outside my pants when the weather is nice. A nice little compact 1911 in a FP underneath my shirt is practically undetectable. Plus, the safety systems in a 1911 give me much more comfort in that type of carry.

Now that the weather is cold here in SEMI, I can carry a 1911 in oh, so many ways. And I do. Accordingly, I have relegated the Glocks to the safe. More expensive paperweights I'm afraid.

If you want a Glock, by all means get it. The more the better.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you've made a very long post trying convince yourself to get another Glock!
:)
opposite- I think I've made a very long post to convince me that 1911's are the better platform!

TracerBullet- I keep going back to this too; in the summer my NA in a thin iwb with a clip disappears at appendix carry for me- the 36 would bring questions like 'are you just happy to see me?'

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
If you are looking to diversify some, sell the compact 1911 and get an XDS for carry and G21 for fun at the range. This way you also get to keep the full size 1911!

Update: missed the fact that you already bought G21 :), so the balance goes to build it up

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are looking to diversify some, sell the compact 1911 and get an XDS for carry and G21 for fun at the range. This way you also get to keep the full size 1911!

Update: missed the fact that you already bought G21 :), so the balance goes to build it up
I've played with the XDs- I don't like the 5 round mag, and the 7 rounder is looooooooooooooooooooong sticking off the butt!

·
Premium Member
7,713 Posts
My friend, I can't believe you are asking this question! I M concerned that you might be coming a bit unstable. Step back from the plastic, it doesn't go well with your skin tone. There is it one true type of gun that suits your inherent good looks, sharp wit, and general well businesses and that is any firearm that falls into the 1911 family of firearms. Cut the plastic up and toss it in the garbage and enjoy your freedom!

·
Registered
763 Posts
What's with all this heathen talk of selling anything? Keep all your guns and add to the collection. Variety is the spice of life. And you need to get yourself a light weight colt commander STAT, for carry. Never forget the two rules 1. A glock may kill a man, but never with the style and panache of a 1911, and B. 45 acp is a death ray.;)

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Every time I think about buying some silly SHTF/'hi-cap' type pistol, I just remind myself how much ammo it would take to wear out my 1911s and how much more I enjoy shooting them. Buying ammo is usually cheaper and less jassle than a another gun..

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Save the poll. Flip a coin. When it's in the air you will know what you want.

·
Premium Member
14,684 Posts
I've owned over 200 pistols in the last 10 years .
an even dozen were gWocks

The G30 ranks at the top of my least favorite pistol
My 36 was a little better, but my Kahr CW45 was better and my XDs is MUCH better

I didn't vote in the poll , cause having owned every gWock frame made, the only one I'd consider buying again is the G39

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Get another Glock!
Then later another 1911.
;)

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I started my pistol shooting affair with a g17, shot IDPA&3gun, carried some. I put north of 15k through the gun. I was an Ok shot with it. Started with 1911's a few years ago, g17 got shot less and less and eventually not at all. 1.5years to exact. Pulled it out a few months ago, embarrassed myself quickly with my lack of ability to shoot the g17 anymore. Swore off them, gun sold. Really wasn't so much a gun problem as it was lack of practice and extreme grip angle. I figure if I can't pick up a pistol I own and shoot it straight, it's useless to me as a weapon or range gun. Other pistols don't present same change of POI for me.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I've cc glocks, M9's, S&W M&P, XD's and 1911's. Every time I veer away from a 1911 for carry. I always come back after a few weeks.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Coming from someone whom owns/has owned every Glock made, buy the 30S. I have two 21's and they are great guns. Not something you're going to IWB for twelve hours, but dead reliable and smooth shooting in .45. I carry a 32 IWB all of the time, but always have a G21 with me, or close, no matter what I have on my side.

As far as 1911's, you know what to do. If you're going to get rid of one, let it be for a gun of equal or greater value. By value I don't necessarily mean money wise either.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Why are people so desperate to choose steel vs. plastic or carbon vs. stainless or M1A vs. FN FAL? Just buy whatever you want man. Glocks are great guns, so are XD's and so are 1911's.

Sheesh.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Not sure why anyone would limit themselves to only one type of firearm. You may love your 1911 but you probably carry the glock for more hours over all an if needed under a high stress moment in time the glock my feel more natural .

I Don't own a glock but do see why carry'n what you have on duty may be the smartest choice even when its not the one you like best.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Glocks are damn good guns, I own those and 1911s and Sigs and Smiths and revolvers and Berettas ............

1 - 20 of 22 Posts