1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many thanks for helping me out with the Power Pistol. I also have a load of LongShot in the shop I want to start using.

How does it load? Any quirks? Best loads etc. All information is appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I load 45 ACP and 45 GAP, 9mm and 40 S&W.

I was thinking of using it for 45 GAP and 40S&W but am open to suggestions.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I use it for 10mm...never tried it for the calibers you mention. I wonder how it would do in 9mm...

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
I've only used Longshot in 10MM, but actually bought it a long time ago for hot/+p/45super loads. Looking at the load manuals, it's pretty close to Power Pistol in charge wgts and velocity. Load hot for PP=load hot for Longshot.

Should work great in 40/9's and prob 45Gap too.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I just got some longshot also. I've been researching it and there are alot of loads for 9mm. It should be good in 40S&W also. Alot of guys load 45 colt with it but hodgon says those loads should only be used in Ruger or Contender guns. They said that it is a very good powder for higher pressure loads but doesn't work very well in low pressure loads which I think covers 45ACP. I haven't gotten a chance to try some loads yet. I've been told that 9gr with a 250gr LSWC is a very accurate load in 45 colt but that is not a published load. I think I'll stick with 9mm and 40S&W with the longshot I have.

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've only used Longshot in 10MM, but actually bought it a long time ago for hot/+p/45super loads. Looking at the load manuals, it's pretty close to Power Pistol in charge wgts and velocity. Load hot for PP=load hot for Longshot.

Should work great in 40/9's and prob 45Gap too.

I am in the market for a 10mm. That is good to know. I did some research and found a lot of 40 S&W and 45 GAP loads.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I use it for my limited major load for .40 in my sti.For 200 gr bayous-5.0 gr @1.18oal=860 to 880 fps=170pf.for 180gr bayou or jhp-5.9gr @1.18=975-985 fps =172pf.Shoots clean and kinda soft for me at uspsa matches and is very accurate.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I load it in 9mm and it works great,I use it as a sub for titegroup for .45. It should be great for .40s&w too....

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I load 45 ACP and 45 GAP, 9mm and 40 S&W.

I was thinking of using it for 45 GAP and 40S&W but am open to suggestions.
I’ve loaded it successfully in the 9MM, 9x23 WIN and 10MM
It has performed well in all three and one of the top accuracy and velocity powders in these calibers loading jacketed.

I don’t load for the 40 Short & Weak but Hodgdon has published data for bullets 135gr. – 200gr. using it and Hornady using the 180’s to 200 grainer’s

One of the reasons this powder performs so well in these calibers is you can safely load all of these calibers over 30,000 PSI
The Longshot from my experience with it really doesn’t start working “productively” until you get some pressure up on it which is easily done in each of these calibers.

You can try it in the 45ACP and the GAP but here you will never be able to generate the higher pressures the powder performs so well at.
If it was me, I would save the Longshot for use in the high pressure calibers where it works so well and apply more “appropriate” powders to the 45ACP and the GAP

Good Luck :)

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I use it for my limited major load for .40 in my sti.For 200 gr bayous-5.0 gr @1.18oal=860 to 880 fps=170pf.for 180gr bayou or jhp-5.9gr @1.18=975-985 fps =172pf.Shoots clean and kinda soft for me at uspsa matches and is very accurate.
Do you really ?!?!

How is recoil compared to a fast powder like WST, Solo 1k, Red Dot, or N320?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have had excellent accuracy with LS in my 357sig loads. 7.9 grains under a 124gr jacketed flat nose bullet. 10 rounds @ 20 yards from a Glock 35 in a 2" group.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I use Longshot in 10mm. Seems to meter very consistantly through my Dillon powder measure. I worked up to the max load with 180 gr JHPs and seems to run real well in my S&W 1076. Battery was dead on my chrono when I went to check it out. Just loaded up test rounds for a 200 gr load last night. I have a fresh battery in the chrono so will check the 180 gr loads when I do the 200s.

Now, if I could only get my Delta Elite back from the Colt Custom Shop. . . ;)

Patience, patience!

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’ve loaded it successfully in the 9MM, 9x23 WIN and 10MM
It has performed well in all three and one of the top accuracy and velocity powders in these calibers loading jacketed.

I don’t load for the 40 Short & Weak but Hodgdon has published data for bullets 135gr. – 200gr. using it and Hornady using the 180’s to 200 grainer’s

One of the reasons this powder performs so well in these calibers is you can safely load all of these calibers over 30,000 PSI
The Longshot from my experience with it really doesn’t start working “productively” until you get some pressure up on it which is easily done in each of these calibers.

You can try it in the 45ACP and the GAP but here you will never be able to generate the higher pressures the powder performs so well at.
If it was me, I would save the Longshot for use in the high pressure calibers where it works so well and apply more “appropriate” powders to the 45ACP and the GAP

Good Luck :)
I have plenty of WST and American Select for my ACP loads. believe it or not the GAP is a higher pressure load than its taller Brother.

I too saw it as a replacement for Titegroup. I think I am going to load some 45 GAP this weekend and see how it does.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I have plenty of WST and American Select for my ACP loads. believe it or not the GAP is a higher pressure load than its taller Brother.

Yes, I am aware of the “slightly” higher operating pressure of the GAP over the ACP cartridge.
But this is negligible and in practical terms as we apply is still in the low pressure range as it relates to the Longshot.
I’m not saying it won’t be accurate; it very well could be excellent
It’s just that you will see more trash and barrel debris than necessary loading in this manner.

I too saw it as a replacement for Titegroup. I think I am going to load some 45 GAP this weekend and see how it does.

I’m not sure what you mean here, but note…Titegroup and Longshot are at opposite ends of the burn rate spectrum and designed to perform in different ways when compared to each other.

But, best of luck with your testing, even a bad day at the range beats not having a day at the range…as if otherwise, we would learn nothing in between.
:)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Longshot is great! I really like it for 230 gr. .45ACP. I've also had good success loading here, too:

10mm
.357SIG
.40S&W

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have used Longshot in .45ACP and as of this weekend will have also used it in .40S&W also.

In SPP Federal cases with magnum primers and 230 grain Berry’s PRN projectiles seated at 1.215” I tested 5.9 up to 6.6 grains of Longshot and was pleased with the results. The best accuracy was around 6.4 grains, Functionality was perfect and recoil felt less than factory rounds. I don’t have a chrono so I don’t know the velocity but based on published data on the Hodgdon site I’m guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of 850 FPS. The pistol was also surprisingly clean after 80 rounds.

In the .40 Hodgdon shows Longshot getting some pretty impressive velocities. I’m using the Nosler 135 grain JHP’s for my load but I’m not quite willing to run all of the way up to 11.5 grains quite yet as quickload is predicting a dangerous over pressure situation with loads at that range. I’m going to test from 8.5 to 10.3 grains and if my gun does not blow up I may try going a little higher very slowly.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I have used Longshot in .45ACP and as of this weekend will have also used it in .40S&W also.

In SPP Federal cases with magnum primers and 230 grain Berry’s PRN projectiles seated at 1.215” I tested 5.9 up to 6.6 grains of Longshot and was pleased with the results. The best accuracy was around 6.4 grains, Functionality was perfect and recoil felt less than factory rounds. I don’t have a chrono so I don’t know the velocity but based on published data on the Hodgdon site I’m guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of 850 FPS. The pistol was also surprisingly clean after 80 rounds.

In the .40 Hodgdon shows Longshot getting some pretty impressive velocities. I’m using the Nosler 135 grain JHP’s for my load but I’m not quite willing to run all of the way up to 11.5 grains quite yet as quickload is predicting a dangerous over pressure situation with loads at that range. I’m going to test from 8.5 to 10.3 grains and if my gun does not blow up I may try going a little higher very slowly.
Nice to see somebody using their head on the work up

I’ve used the 40 Hodgdon data to wildcat in my 10MM guns
So far no surprises with velocities and accuracy some of the best I’ve ever recorded
I’m finding it very stable on the work up

But again like you I have “chosen wisely” in my manner of work up

Continued Good Luck :)

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
How does it rank against power pistol?
As far as burn rate?

Most charts place Longshot around the same speed as ~ No.7 or a few tics slower
I have some charts that place it slower than Enforcer and No.9 but from my using it I think it’s closer to No.7 in speed.

So it’s quite a bit slower than Power Pistol
Most charts place Power Pistol between 30 and ~35 or so on the charts
That’s only a tic or two slower than Universal and Unique and a few tics faster than V-VN340 and 800-X
This places Power Pistol solidly in the medium to medium slow range and Longshot (usually ~ 50 to 55 on the charts) is just a few tics faster on most charts than some of the “faster” Magnum pistol powders like 2400 and No.9

Don’t you have any burn rate charts?
If you don’t PM your email address and I’ll send some charts

:)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts