1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was browsing through an online gunshop and came across a Sig 229 that was almost $1,000 and was shocked. I took a look and it looks a bit different (beavertail and all), and was etched "Elite" on the slide.

What is the difference between the 229 Elite and a standard 229 that would make this new variant 35% more expensive? It sure LOOKED nice, but you can't tell too much by the small inernet image.

·
Registered
361 Posts
For some shooters like myself, I find that beaver tail is a great enhancement along with the SRT. (Short Reset Trigger)

I have the P-220 Elite Carry ST and it is without a doubt the nicest SIG I own to date! :cool:

Some don't agree, that's why there are different kinds of guns I guess.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the only difference is a beavertail and a short reset trigger? Wow... that's not much honestly for a $300 price difference.

I was hoping that there would be more.

·
Registered
361 Posts
If you want to compare the different models, I would suggest looking at the specifications at SIG. http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProduct.aspx?categoryid=8

P229 Elite With numerous law enforcement and federal contracts, the P229 is one of the best selling SIG SAUER® pistols available. Now with the introduction of the new Elite model, the P229 is more popular than ever. The new P229 Elite features an ergonomic beavertail grip, front cocking serrations, front strap checkering, SIGLITE® Night Sights, custom wood grips and the new Short Reset Trigger or SRT. SIG engineers designed the SRT to provide you the same great safety and smooth action of the SIG DA/SA with a comfortable reset that is 60% shorter for faster trigger return and surgical control during high speed shooting. The P229 Elite is available in 9mm, .357SIG or .40 S&W. Also available in Two-Tone or an all Stainless finish.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I don't understand the beavertail AT ALL. I could understand if hammer bite was a concern but it's NEVER been a concern to ANYONE. Seriously. I've been shooting (and shooting SIG's) for a long time and I don't even know anybody that knows anybody that's ever been hammer bitten by a SIG.

Nor have I ever read any articles in magazines or on gun forums about people getting bit by SIG's.

So WHY??????

SRT, yes. Excellent. But the beavertail (on a non 1911 SIG) is an abomination.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I don't understand the beavertail AT ALL. I could understand if hammer bite was a concern but it's NEVER been a concern to ANYONE.

So WHY??????
BLING........I agree, SRT is a very nice feature but the BT is useless on a Sig. A short reset is very desirable to me (it's the ONLY thing I like about Glocks). I think if Sig was smart they'd put the SRT on all their pistols (without the BT) and market heavily the improvement without a drastic price increase.
I can't believe they brought out the P250 WITHOUT the SRT! :confused:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I believe the Elite line is also the only way to get a Stainless frame these days. I don't know if all the Elite's have Stainless frames, but I do know there aren't supposed to be any new Stainess non-Elite's.

later,
AJ

·
Registered
82 Posts
I like the BT on the sig. I like it a lot. The BT anchors the pistol in MY grip. I guess it is probably a product of years of shooting the 1911 with one for years, but the way it comes back between the thumb and hand really seems to settle and secure the gun for me. To me there is a noticeable difference between the non-BT and the BT sigs and the same with 1911s. I don't have a beavertail on my 1911s because of hammer bite there are other ways around that. I have a BT because it helps ME shoot better and more accurately. I personally think that the 220 SAO Elite is what Sig should have done when they went down the 1911 road instead of what they did do. If I wasn't so set on 1911s I would be very very tempted. As it is I am only tempted.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. At least the beavertail LOOKS nice... :)

I was hoping for the extra $300 or so it would be "tuned" by the custom shop, maybe a more accurate lockup system, or some other fancy thing.

I did however come across a cooool picture of a Sig to be released in May: The Sig 229 Equinox! Basically it's the concept that Kimber used on the Eclipse models done on a Sig. It looks fantastic, but again... pricey.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
On the draw it can assist your hand in getting the highest grip possible. Some even claim on some pistols (Don't know about the Sigs) the beavertail design helps spread the recoil out more on a larger surface of your hand and web.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I did however come across a cooool picture of a Sig to be released in May: The Sig 229 Equinox! Basically it's the concept that Kimber used on the Eclipse models done on a Sig. It looks fantastic, but again... pricey.

The Sig 229 Equinox is a current model. I own one. It is a nice shooting pistol...It does have the Sig Custom Shop logo...I put the 'short' trigger in mine so I can keep the gun inline with my arm with enough finger pad contact for the DA pull.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah sorry, I was just doing more research and found that Bud's Gun Shop" must have had a mistake... it is already out!

I'm going to hit my local shop and see if they have one, that's just too perty to pass up.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
On the draw it can assist your hand in getting the highest grip possible. Some even claim on some pistols (Don't know about the Sigs) the beavertail design helps spread the recoil out more on a larger surface of your hand and web.
I look at the Elite SIG's and I imagine exactly where the web of my hand goes and where the beavertail starts (where an original SIG tang would end) and my hand wouldn't even touch the extra material.

I dunno. It's something no one ever complained about or thought it was necessary. Perhaps they are just catering to the 1911 crowd.

But for me and I would guess for most people, SIG grip tangs were just fine as they were.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Saw them both today (Elite and Equinox) and neither tripped my trigger.

Although now I want a Microtech AUG... dammit. I need to stop going to the gun shops!

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I like the Sig Elites and the beavertail is the only thing that led me to purchase another Sig. I had a P226 in the past and have had a P229(non rail) since 1994. When you use a high grip with thumbs forward, the stump where the beavertail should start on a standard Sig just wears the web of my hand out. It's not a bite, but rather after a couple hundred rounds a nice bruise. I can shoot the Elite .40 all day, no pain.

With the Sig Elite you get night sights, short reset trigger(which is the only way a Sig should come IMO, the standard trigger reset wise on a Sig sucks ass) wood grips, all stainless steel.

Here is my Sig P226 Stainless Elite 9mm with SWR Trident 9 silencer. :D

·
Registered
361 Posts
Talking about the beaver accomplishes nothing... shooting the Elite answers all your questions. Some really like it and some don't. I wish all my SIGs had beaver tails! :biglaugh:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts