1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'm getting a pre-64 Model 70 in 270 caliber soon and have ordered a Leopold V3-3.5-10x scope for it. I'm having problems deciding on the mounts and after a lot of looking finally settled on Talley rings but I can't understand their steel mounts. From the pics I've seen one of them looks higher than the other, which makes little sense to me. Anyone shed some light on that?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Talley-Steel-Base-Winchester-Model-70-Standard-Caliber-25X702-/181250406726

I have Leupold QR mounts on my Winchester Model 70s. I can tell you that with the Leupold mounts, it is perfectly normal for the higher unit to be at the rear. If you look at the Winchester Model 70 receiver, you will notice that it is somewhat lower at the back end. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're right about the rear being lower. I didn't have one in had to look but checked a few out on the Internet for sale and the rear is lower...thanks.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
for what its worth i have their lightweight one piece rings/bases on a kimber 84l classic and they have been good. they loosened once through elk season but i attribute that to the extremely rough forest roads i drove everyday for several weeks. the rifle got shook around in the truck a lot.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I'd just make sure their for a pre-64 action, I'm not sure if the mounting holes are the same in the older 70's as the newer model 70's. Maybe check with Talley and give them the numbers of the mount your looking to purchase. I have them on a Brno ZKK-602 and they are a nice solid mount with the quick detachable rings.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just an update. I got the rifle several days back and also received the proper Talley mounts. The spacing holes on the receiver are .860" which I made sure of before ordering...works great. I'm assuming the new Model 70 has the same spacing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts