1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's become apparent to me that many of the FTF's on my 1996A2 may have been due to using ammo without a taper crimp. I tried to inspect the ammo I had on hand (WinClean 185 grain flatnose FMJ and Rem. UMC 230 grain FMJ) this weekend to see if it was crimped. I was not able get a measurement difference between the casing diameter and where the crimp should be. However, using the caliper as a straight edge and gripping the round the long way, I was able to see a little bit of light on the WinClean's where the taper crimp was suppose to be. I did not see anything on the UMC's. I concluded that the WinClean's had a decent taper crimp but the UMC's had none.

Just how critical is a taper crimp to .45ACP? Seems in everything that I've been reading it is very important. If that's the case, why don't all major manufacturers taper crimp their .45ACP? Is a taper crimp USGI spec?

I'm presuming that with 9mm cases being tapered, it's less critical for that round. What about .40S&W and other rounds? Or is it just .45ACP that's susceptible to being pushed back in the case?

Is there a better way to determine if ammo has a taper crimp? If it does not have a taper crimp, will dropping them into your chamber (barrel removed from pistol) as a go/no go gauge work? What should I be looking for?

Anyone have a list of ammo that does/does not have taper crimps?

I know WC has a list of "recommended" ammo and a few brands that they do not guarantee reliability with. Do other custom and semi-custom shops (BCP, Heinie, Vickers, Baer, etc.) have similar ammo recommendations? If so, what are they? If not, what do they do to their guns to allow them to guarantee reliability with a wider range of ammo?

I've noticed that when I load my WC 47D mags with only 7 rounds, they seem to gobble up anything I put in there with no complaints. (Of course, some of you will say that I've just answered my own question....) What I've taken to doing is, if I every have to shoot questionable ammo, I only load 7 rounds in a mag. Is it just me or is the taper crimp issue just a problem on the first round out of 8 round mags?

I've heard a lot recently about taper crimps and their importance. I just think it would be helpful (at least to me) to have a more in depth thread on it. I'm not a reloader, so this is all new to me.

TIA

EDITED for spelling.

[This message has been edited by JacRyan (edited 08-13-2001).]

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Jac, taper crimp is very important to any round that headspaces on the case mouth in particular, and to semi-auto's in general(incl. 9mm, 40 S&W, etc.).

One important point to remember is that taper crimping is only part of the solution to bullet setback. The other, and possibly more important aspect, is case sizing. The tightest taper crimp (without deforming the brass/bullet) will NOT prevent bullet setback if your brass is not sized properly and completely from rim to mouth.

I believe all commercially loaded .45 ammo is taper crimped. Dropping in into the chamber will not work as a go/no-go test. Even untapered rounds will feed this way.

All custom and semi-custom manufacturers have a preferred brand (or three), but the ammo is only part of the equation in reliable feeding. Custom, and semi-custom makers will throat and polish the chamber (among other things) to ensure utmost reliability.

I load only 7 rds. in my Wilson 8 rounders as well, but this has nothing to do with the taper crimp of any ammo. It is a combination of timing factors in your gun (mag spring, recoil spring, power factor of load being used, etc.) that allows a full mag to feed vs. -1 loaded mag.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shane:

Thanks for the quick reply.

WC says that Speer does NOT taper crimp their ammo. They do not guarantee reliability with the Speer Lawman FMJ (or any other Speer/CCI rounds, for that matter) because of this.

It also looks like Rem. UMC is not taper crimped. Unless maybe I just don't know what to look for.... I tried to measure the case and mouth (where the taper should be) and got the same measurement, though the number escapes me now. I'm not sure there's a measurable difference between the case and the crimp.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just asked this exact question on a Kimber forum, because I noticed the same thing. Severl folks suggested I taper crimp reloads, when I had a lot of failures to go fully into battery with a bag of gun show reloads. You get what you pay for, and after more investigation, I will not use anyone else's reloads again (unless they are a trusted person/source). Too dangerous.

I'll let you know what I find out if you are interested.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by JacRyan:
WC says that Speer does NOT taper crimp their ammo. They do not guarantee reliability with the Speer Lawman FMJ (or any other Speer/CCI rounds, for that matter) because of this.

Jac,

Where did that info come from? I'm just curious, as this would lead one to believe that other brands of ammo ARE guaranteed to be reliable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here is the address. Sorry I don't know how to creat a link (i'm html challenged). I can't remember if you have to register to read the messages, but you do have to register in order to post. I'm RCJ over there, too.
http://kimber.infopop.net/3/OpenTopic

I'm glad someone else other than me had the same question. Have a good day, Jac.

RCJ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts