1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to find a good place online for training stands. The ones I am thinking of are metal and they hold furring strips, then you attach the backer to them. OR if someone has an idea how to make them out of wood. I saw some up at South River that were made out of wood. I would really like to get instruction/plans for those. They looked simple to make and use. Thanks!

------------------
The only thing neccessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
Shane,
If you come out to South River, we'll find a stand that's been shot up and let you take it home.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
We have used these folding stands:
http://www.arizonashooters.com/h-framestand.html

They are $20 each or 6 for $90. Go ahead and buy the six for $90. The bases fold up nicely. The uprights are provided by you and are 1x2 boards. For indoors, the 4' long 1x2s work fine for holding a cardboard backer. So as not to bother with staple guns, running out of staples, etc., we use the large binder clips to hold the cardboard to the uprights.

The 1x2 uprights are very cheap, easy to find, easy to replace, and unless you have a trigger jerk from hell, the stand itself should never suffer any damage, only the sticks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rick T, Thanks. Whenever I can get up that way, I will take you up on your offer. They looked relativly easy to produce once you get the measurements. Double, thanks for the info. I saw those stands and was wondering how well they work. I remember seeing the non-folding version of that stand but i cant remember where. Again, thanks to you both.

------------------
The only thing neccessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
PM7:
Anytime.
Another way to make the stands is to use PVC pipes. Get 2" (I think) PVC pipes and cut them to about 12" long sections. Use T-joints and insert 3 of the 12" pieces into it, this will form one leg of the stand, assemble another and you will have two legs. Use 1/2" x 2" woods, insert one into each vertical section of the T and stick a cardboard target on it and voila.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You can make sturdy stands out of an 8' piece of 2x4 which hold 2 furring strips that hold the targets. On the 2x4, cut 2 30" pieces and 2 18" pcs. The 2 30" pcs form the outside, while the 2 18" are nailed cross ways, parallel and about 1" apart, wide enough that you can push in a furring strip.

I can e-mail a picture of the rig if needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts