1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this should be in range reports but...

at the club I shoot at indoor you HAVE to put the targets all the way back to the wall (which is prob 25-30 yards out).

I NEED to practice 7-10-15 yards to work on my aim. Question is, why do clubs make it a law to put the targets all the way back? I'm thinking about moving them forward if no one is there.

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
It depends where you go, The club I belong to doesn't have many people and if the re is no one around you can do what ever you want (as long as you aren't breaking safety rules).

·
Registered
122 Posts
Maybe this should be in range reports but...

at the club I shoot at indoor you HAVE to put the targets all the way back to the wall (which is prob 25-30 yards out).

I NEED to practice 7-10-15 yards to work on my aim. Question is, why do clubs make it a law to put the targets all the way back? I'm thinking about moving them forward if no one is there.
I can't say that I have ever seen/heard of this. I'm sure it happens though. At all of the indoor ranges I've shot at, there is an electronic control panel which allows you to 'send' your target to whatever distance you wish. When you're done shooting, you use the control panel to 'retrieve' your target. You never have to move. It is all mechanical.

As your range is different, why don't you ask the employees if there are any options that would allow you to shoot from a closer distance. If not, I would suggest finding another range.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't say that I have ever seen/heard of this. I'm sure it happens though. At all of the indoor ranges I've shot at, there is an electronic control panel which allows you to 'send' your target to whatever distance you wish. When you're done shooting, you use the control panel to 'retrieve' your target. You never have to move. It is all mechanical.

As your range is different, why don't you ask the employees if there are any options that would allow you to shoot from a closer distance. If not, I would suggest finding another range.
Wha?

I have all the electronic stuff. What I am saying is at the range I shoot at you NEED to have your target all the way back down range. I'm just wondering why. Is it possible to have a bullet bounce back if its not or something?

Nothing about me myself moving physically closer/farther from target :confused:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I shoot a great deal indoor in the winter (duh)....any way..... the older clubs which may not have bullet proof side walls often have this rule so that shooters don't fire at an angle which could cause their round to strike the right or left wall.

·
Hold my beer & watch this
5,570 Posts
Paper won't slow the bullet down. It still hits the back wall at the same speed no matter where the target is.

That's bizarre, I've never heard of a range doing that.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Maybe this should be in range reports but...at the club I shoot at indoor you HAVE to put the targets all the way back to the wall (which is prob 25-30 yards out). I NEED to practice 7-10-15 yards to work on my aim. Question is, why do clubs make it a law to put the targets all the way back? I'm thinking about moving them forward if no one is there.
Dang, that is a bite. I can't see well enough to shoot pistol good at 25 yards these days so most of my shooting is at 3-5-7-10-12-15 yards. Both the indoor range I shoot at and the club I shoot at have indoor variable shooting distances.

At the club they have an outdoor 25 yard pistol/small caliber rifle range that was actually 25 yards only until enough members squawked. They then set up removable in ground frames at 7 and 15 yards for folks to post targets on. One could also walk up on the targets if no one else was there.

Good luck to you. :rock:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Targets all the way back rule is probably because it is quicker to clean the floor if all the paper chads are in one thin line. If shooters are allowed to shoot at any range, the entire floor has to be swept.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Targets all the way back rule is probably because it is quicker to clean the floor if all the paper chads are in one thin line. If shooters are allowed to shoot at any range, the entire floor has to be swept.
Someone needs to buy the range owner one of those leaf blower things.

Be safe, shoot well. :rock:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Local range here just requires the that the target be 7yds or further back.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Never heard of such a thing. :scratch:

At my range, you can shoot at whatever distance you want. THey don't have fancy electronics that automatically move your target to a set distance, but they do have lines painted on the floor at 7 and 15 yds.

My range HAS restricted the SIZE of the targets you can use though. IT has to be at least a B24 size, (about 11"x17"). The reason? Too many new shooters who can't hit the broad side of a barn kept hitting the target carriers and breaking them.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Just my thoughts but it might depend on the materials and type of construction of the range itself. By that I mean if the floor and ceiling are not impact rated they would have to put the targets close to the stop. Think of it in an outdoor setting, your target is seven yards away and the backstop is fifty. Your chances of going over the backstop by ricochet or direct shot, bad angle, are greater. Again I don’t know for sure but that is what my first thought was.

I'm from the Worcester area.

Semper Fi
1*

·
Premium Member
9,046 Posts
Less chance of someone shooting the ceiling.

You put the target close and someone will try shooting from the hip and not be very good at it.

Cuts down on quick draw stuff.

I bet basically a couple of idiots ruined it for all.

:(:bawling:

ps: they may have shot the target trollys

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
It also cuts down on the sprayers who will hit the target in the next lane at 25 yards if they are shooting at only 15 feet.

I have always been amused when someone puts a round nose through my target and then realizes I can tell since I am shooting semi-wadcutters.

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
I've never heard of a range restricting targets like that. I'm a defensive shooter so I practice up to 15 yards at the most.

Try talking to the range master (owner) first. If you don't get any satisfaction,
go to or join another range.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'll bet they required the target all the way against the wall because too many rounds were striking the concrete floor with targets at shorter distances. This is just their way of dealing with poor conduct on the firing line.

The local indoor ranges I have shot at have a "fire-straight-ahead" rule. Basically, all rounds MUST hit the back wall. If you're caught skipping rounds off the floor, or striking the overhead or left or right of your shooting lane, you'll get a reprimand pretty quick.

I've had pretty good luck with private rod and gun clubs, even though their dues tend to be a little pricey. The public ranges all seem to either suck , or the 1 time cost to shoot quickly equals annual dues at a club.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
The local indoor ranges I have shot at have a "fire-straight-ahead" rule. Basically, all rounds MUST hit the back wall. If you're caught skipping rounds off the floor, or striking the overhead or left or right of your shooting lane, you'll get a reprimand pretty quick.
My range has a simple rule. Every hole you make costs $25! If you can't afford that, don't shoot here. :biglaugh:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts