1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
I have one Taurus - a 1911 pimp gun in .38 super - and it is a phenomenally accurate $400 pistol. Probably more due to a little re-work on my part, and the cartridge itself. It has shot all of the cheapest ammo very, very well. People laugh but it is one of my favorite shooters. It's not an Ed Brown or a Colt Special Combat or a Wesson Valor but it is a nice little gun that I enjoy the heck out of shooting at the range. Since they've been out of production for 3 or 4 years, many at the range have never seen one. It gets quite a few looks to say the least.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I've got a Taurus .357 mag in stainless, nice gun, good FnF, cycles and presents well and is fun to shoot - just not special. I bought it, probably 20-25 years ago. Actually, I purchased it's (weight wise) brother in a Colt Trooper in nickel and .22 LR and it's a lot more fun to shoot.

·
Banned
321 Posts
I have to say once the extractor issue (adjustment was needed) was fixed I absolutely LOVE how my my PT1911 feels and shoots (though I'm still trying to figure out grips, I feel like I'm going to end up with like 12 sets of grips before I decide which I like best).

I think with a bit of proper marketing to show all the upgraded features you get in one comparative to something that would cost $1000+ with the added benefit of a lifetime warranty, Taurus could go a long way to make headway to adjust RubenZ' perspective.

The detractors and naysayers can spew because 1A allows and 2A defends, right? ;) I suggest they actually pick a PT1911 up and fire one for about 500 rounds side by side a stock whatever before they make blanket statements about it being the bottom of the barrel in the 1911 world.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Here's the 1911 and I forgot all about my little revolver. Still have the revolver and it too is great. Got it when they first came out.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Taurus bottom of the barrel in 1911s...

I consider taurus quite a few steps higher than rock island and a few others that are making mass produced weapons.

·
Registered
12,388 Posts
There's a place in the 1911 community for all 1911s that will go "bang" with pretty good reliability, perhaps sometimes after a bit of tuning.

Sometimes I look around in other sections of the Forum, even though I'm not a customer of that specific manufacturer (such as this case), just to see what's going on, what people are experiencing, etc. It is often educational to get other perspectives.

Sometimes also 1911s made outside of the USA are given a bad rap. I understand the point made by folks holding that view (I buy U.S.-made 1911s), but in all fairness, someone needs to address a firearm's functional and/or aesthetic attributes on its own merits and deal with the country of origin as a separate issue (for those for whom it is an issue). I understand both sides of the country of origin question, so I'm not making an issue of it; merely recognizing that for some people, it is an issue.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Because when you think of 1911's, taurus is at the botom of the list.
I couldn't disagree more. I have a number of 1911's, from Colt, Springfield, Kimber, Sig, Para, Rock Island, and Taurus. My Taurus is a stainless .38 Super, and it has run flawlessly from day one. It has a decent trigger, hits where it looks, will shoot 2" at 25 yards all day long (if I'm having a good enough day to hold that tight) and, after 3,500+ rounds, has yet to malfunction in any way. What more can one ask? It's a damn sight more than I can say for my Colts, Sig, or Rock Island.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Maybe when you do...

Because when you think of 1911's, taurus is at the botom of the list.
Ruben but Taurus 1911 Pistols are pretty darn good for the money. They are a much better value the the overpriced Kimbers. I like Rock Islands too; I put the Taurus in the same, if not a little better class as them.

Taurus has been making firearms in South America since 1947; for a few years they owned Bangor Punta, the parent company of S&W. If you look you can see a lot of similarities between SW and Taurus.

It's all a matter of personal preference. To each their own.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
for a few years they owned Bangor Punta, the parent company of S&W.
Nope. For a few years Bangor Punta owned 54% of Taurus at the same time that Bangor Punta also owned S&W. Supposedly during this time there was some technical sharing between Taurus and S&W but contrary to the braggado on Taurus's website's "official history" page about them helping S&W (the S&W folks laugh about this) most of the exchange was Taurus getting some metallurgical assistance/information from S&W.

·
Registered
12,388 Posts
Nope. For a few years Bangor Punta owned 54% of Taurus at the same time that Bangor Punta also owned S&W. Supposedly during this time there was some technical sharing between Taurus and S&W but contrary to the braggado on Taurus's website's "official history" page about them helping S&W (the S&W folks laugh about this) most of the exchange was Taurus getting some metallurgical assistance/information from S&W.
Correct. S&W has been a publicly traded (SWHC on the New York Stock Exchange) as a stand alone corporation for as long as I can remember ... I'm one of their stockholders, albeit very small.

I too was shaking my head at the other gentleman's statement. Internet lore and/or old history gets repeated a lot, probably mostly in good faith, but this doesn't make it true.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Several years ago there was contrary info regarding ownership of/by Taurus by Bangor Punta. I stand corrected.

Mum...I'm retired; there's even speculation that while I was on active duty did I even come close to the gentleman part of "an officer and a..."

·
Registered
12,388 Posts
Several years ago there was contrary info regarding ownership of/by Taurus by Bangor Punta. I stand corrected.

Mum...I'm retired; there's even speculation that while I was on active duty did I even come close to the gentleman part of "an officer and a..."
No worries. I've been wrong enough times to have eaten a good supply of humble pie. It happens to just about anyone who is honest enough to admit it.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I try to never bash another gun or buyer. "But" if you go to the gunsmith page there are at least ten top grade 1911's people are having problems with. The only Taurus is because someone changed some parts. Even better go to the individual manufacture pages and guys are havibg trouble with 1911's all the way up to custom. "Just saying"

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
That was WAY back in the '70s. Good memory. :rock:

·
Registered
100 Posts
My PT1911 had the safety issue. It popped off when I was doing safety manipulations. Sent it to Taurus. 10 days later I had it back. No problems after that.

uploadfromtaptalk1442087478217.jpg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts