1911Forum banner

121 - 140 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well the Taurus guns that seem worth a damn are the PT92s, Raging/Tracker line and the Rossi Cyclops(Rossi owns Taurus).

·
Banned
368 Posts
Not sure if that was even a thing, but if it was, its not the practice today.
The lawsuit covered 9 models from 97-2013. That's 16 years folks!! They recalled 1 million weapons and paid out $239M in damage. The guns were deemed as "Unsafe". Yeah, Ive seen the new ones, im not convinced that there was a revelation at the top and they all of a sudden started churning out quality weapons at the same price.
apparently you didn't understand the scope of the actual lawsuit. The guns were only recalled because of perhaps 300 guns out of a total of 1,000,000,000 having a problem that could actually be considered a manufacturing defect.

Also consider this, just about all of the gun models that got recalled were DISCONTINUED at the time of the recall and Taurus couldn't or wouldn't attempt to fix the supposed defect. SO they simply trashed the guns and issued replacements of whatever current production semi auto was ahead of production.

if you ever get bored head over to the Taurus forums. Youll see a lot of threads by people who had guns with no issues, that they sent in for recall warranty work just to have Taurus trash their guns.

Also AFTER the recall was over, large amounts of those recalled models, that had been in storage in brazil in shipping containers somehow started appearing in surplus style gun dealers in the states

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
There are way to many better guns out there so why in the world would I buy a gun from a manufacturer with such a spotty reputation. As far as I know and I could be wrong but aren't they known for producing the cheaper solution? I may not always be able to afford the very best but I'm certainly never in the market for the cheapest crap one can buy either. I have no desire to get just another gun so I can say I have one more and especially from a manufacturer with such a spotty reputation.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Yeah, I’ll go with that thought!
Especially when there are shipping containers with discontinued trash showing up in the states. If ya want a Brazilian Hi Point (quality level), go for it!

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Well the Taurus guns that seem worth a damn are the PT92s, Raging/Tracker line and the Rossi Cyclops(Rossi owns Taurus).
In my earlier post, I mentioned my friend with his Rossi 357 and the bent hammer issue. Both around the same price point. Horrendous quality control. There is a difference between a four ply trailer tire and a ten ply truck tire.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I own 2, a revolver and a TCP. The revolver is a .44 mag. I don't remember what year it is, but it was prior to the Raging Bull. It is ported which definitely helps with the recoil. I have had no issues with it and it is extremely accurate. I took a deer with it off hand at 80 yards with open sights. I also have a Ruger Redhawk. The Ruger is a great gun, but I shoot the Taurus better. I had a lot of problems with TCP, but Taurus made it right. They paid all of the shipping and corrected it. I have put several hundred rounds through it after I got it back, with a lot of different ammo, and have had no issues with it since. I am not necessarily a fan, but am happy with what I have.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Yeah, I’ll go with that thought!
Especially when there are shipping containers with discontinued trash showing up in the states. If ya want a Brazilian Hi Point (quality level), go for it!
Lets not insult hi-point. They are better than taurus:) At least hi-point warranty turnaround is measured in days not months.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
No, but they do use the acetone cans to make the Taurus!:biglaugh:
OK, OK, I’ll stop now........shoot what you want......just don’t be struttin’ around.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Spelling aside, the thought of touching off a .357 mag in a Taurus snubbie sends chills down my spine. :biglaugh:
This. On another forum, there's a guy who tells a first hand story about a Taurus revolver he owned that literally broke apart when firing and almost got him killed.

·
Banned
368 Posts
This. On another forum, there's a guy who tells a first hand story about a Taurus revolver he owned that literally broke apart when firing and almost got him killed.
don't forget, Smith and Wesson only rates their .357 magnum jframes for 5,000 rounds of 38 special +P ammunition, and I think 2,000 rounds of .357 magnum

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
don't forget, Smith and Wesson only rates their .357 magnum jframes for 5,000 rounds of 38 special +P ammunition, and I think 2,000 rounds of .357 magnum
Just think what that means........
It was designed that way on purpose.
The Taurus wasn’t designed at all......

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I learned a lot reading through the 5 pages of posts in the 'Guns that were a disappointment' thread and noting which manufacturers were listed. I mostly learned that EVERY manufacturer seems to be listed for dishonorable mention - lol

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
It must be their lightweight alloy framed models. Correct?

What should a person do with the revolver after he puts 2000 rounds of .357 or 5000 rounds of .38+P through it? Anyone?

·
Registered
291 Posts

What should a person do with the revolver after he puts 2000 rounds of .357 or 5000 rounds of .38+P through it? Anyone?
If the frame is actually out of spec from stretching or flame cutting, discard. Otherwise, keep shooting; though perhaps plinking only with reduced loads.
Actually, this is the first I've read about recommended round counts for S&W revolvers.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I learned a lot reading through the 5 pages of posts in the 'Guns that were a disappointment' thread and noting which manufacturers were listed. I mostly learned that EVERY manufacturer seems to be listed for dishonorable mention - lol
You are correct! One subtle difference though.....the one or two complaints about Wilsons, Wesson, Smith, Ruger, HK, Walther, Baer, Nighthawk, Chen, or any other reputable manufacturer are coming from idiots that have no business with a gun.
The other 1,653,461 complaints are from people that own substandard compromises of unstable pot metal!
The key is the one or two brands that consistently, and overwhelmingly outnumber all others in the complaint department. Its fairly easy to see.....

·
Registered
7,270 Posts

The "J" frame is a smaller framed, 5 shot cylinder, snubby, pocket pistol.
It was never designed to blast 5000 rounds a year. Great for concealment and the nightstand. Ya want more, they got more models!! K, L, X.....even the damned Hillary Hole models!! :biglaugh:

121 - 140 of 156 Posts