1911Forum banner

141 - 156 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
The "J" frame is a smaller framed, 5 shot cylinder, snubby, pocket pistol.
It was never designed to blast 5000 rounds a year. Great for concealment and the nightstand. Ya want more, they got more models!! K, L, X.....even the damned Hillary Hole models!! :biglaugh:

They also make short barrel, steel .357 models. I think they weigh about 23 ounces. I don't recall whether they are considered J frame or K frame.

There is also an all steel J frame .38, the Chief's Special. I think they still make them.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have owned 6-8 Taurus pistols, PT145 and SS 1911. Some were pretty good and some broke within 1,000 rounds. I will not purchase anymore Taurus, because if you decide to sell any, I darn near had to pay someone to take it off my hands. Got about 20% return when selling them, bad investment!

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I have an elderly lady friend who carries a pretty little polished stainless ROSSI snub nose 5 shot .38 revolver. I'd buy one of these if I came across one (for my wife or daughter) It's a shame Taurus cheapened the product when they took over. Their new revolvers just don't measure up. & I shun the brand entirely. I'd rather buy RIA or Tisas products.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Rossi is hit or miss too. They will get a few right and then a few wrong. One things for sure, Lashlaruhe got it right with the resale thing. Guys that want to upgrade to a solid platform can’t even trade them away. The same guys that sold it to them in the first place laugh when you ask for trade in value toward something else.

·
Banned
368 Posts
Rossi is hit or miss too. They will get a few right and then a few wrong. One things for sure, Lashlaruhe got it right with the resale thing. Guys that want to upgrade to a solid platform can’t even trade them away. The same guys that sold it to them in the first place laugh when you ask for trade in value toward something else.
That's the problem, to many MORONS buy guns based solely on RESALE or TRADE in value. SMART people buy a gun because they want it.

I can show you gun stores that will give you 300$ trade in value on mint, in the original factory grease M1 carbines and garands and Colt pythons/anacondas

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
That very same store, with those examples you mentioned would give you approximately nothing for a Taurus. They’ll sell them all day long though.
Nice store ya got there! They sell beer out the back door, to minors, on Sunday too!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I have an elderly lady friend who carries a pretty little polished stainless ROSSI snub nose 5 shot .38 revolver. I'd buy one of these if I came across one (for my wife or daughter) It's a shame Taurus cheapened the product when they took over. Their new revolvers just don't measure up. & I shun the brand entirely. I'd rather buy RIA or Tisas products.
Help her out and check the serial number online to see if it is covered under the Rossi Safety Recall of several models.

https://www.rossisafetynotice.com/

My blued 461 was affected and was replaced last year with a matte black Taurus 605 under the program by the parent corporation. Rossi no longer manufactures handguns. FWIW the 605 has been flawless at the range/

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
That very same store, with those examples you mentioned would give you approximately nothing for a Taurus. They’ll sell them all day long though.
Nice store ya got there! They sell beer out the back door, to minors, on Sunday too!

A LGS sells beer to minors? Sounds like they would lose their FFL.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
"That very same store, with those examples you mentioned would give you approximately nothing for a Taurus."

Were I of a mind to trade in any of the sub $300-$500 firearms I own I would expect to get very little/next to nothing in trade-in value. Not unlike thinking folks on Pawn Stars will get a GREAT deal from Rick when they sell him their stuff. - lol

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a Taurus 24/7 Pro, TCP .380, and a 709 Slim. They all shoot flawlessly every time I take them to the range. I have a Smith and Wesson that jams more often. I would not hesitate at all buying another Taurus. I would love to buy a .357 Raging Bull.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Nice, for a bunch of $300 guns, I would say you got the 50% that run.
Be happy with them. FWIW, I don't buy the part about the Smith, unless you are running ammo its not supposed to digest. Even 1911's will choke on certain ammo. Its up to the owner to figure it out.

·
Banned
368 Posts
Nice, for a bunch of $300 guns, I would say you got the 50% that run.
Be happy with them. FWIW, I don't buy the part about the Smith, unless you are running ammo its not supposed to digest. Even 1911's will choke on certain ammo. Its up to the owner to figure it out.
its pretty asinine to tell a person that if his smith and Wesson, that costs twice what his Taurus hand guns cost, jams its because HE is feeding it bad ammo and not a defect of the gun.

Its ASSinine to pull a stunt like that.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I play the odds. The amount of defective Taurus guns is 100 times or more than that of Smith and Wesson. The odds are that this gentleman threw that in for theatrical effect. I am also entitled to my opinion. Any ass can deny concrete evidence of failure rates.

141 - 156 of 156 Posts