1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did a side by side of a Taurus 1911 and a RIA Tactical 1911 and now I am all confused. Which one should I go for? a $425 RIA or a $500 Taurus? They both are soo dang sweet! Any advice? I really like the Taurus's looks and finish better, but I like the RIA's price better. :confused:

·
Registered
954 Posts
I much prefer the Novak's sights on the RIA Tactical over the Heine Straight-8 on the Taurus PT-1911.

I like the Taurus grips better, but I'd be changing out either so non-issue for me.

I don't like the thick trigger gaurd or the front slide serations on the Taurus neither but these affect shooting.

My RIA Tactical has a better trigger than the Taurus I've handled.

Tough choice, but nice to have! I went with the RIA. I'll probably get a Taurus eventually either when the satinless come out of if they really do make it in 9mm.

Reports of Taurus customer service are uneven at best. Reports about RIA's customer service have been outstanding. Their US factory rep is active on this forum! (blackdragon)

--wally.

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
Gary1911A1 said:
If the Tactical is close to the quality of my STI Spartan then I can certainly recommend it over the Taurus.
Gary, if it did not say SPARTAN on the slide one would never know the difference!!!:rock: :rock:

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
The Taurus is a very nice pistol. Lots of good reports about them.

Ummm I think the RIA is a better value because of the SERVICE for Ivan and company.

The price for the Taurus 1911 is getting to be pretty pricy - for a single model 1911 - great mistique at $400 - even up to $500.00 - but service reports start to deliever deminishing returns for the difference in price. Checkered front strap and an additonal mag just does not out weight quality service.

oh yeah and the Taurus comes with a bushing wrench!!
rocks - rock. :rock:

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
After speaking to my two gunsmiths (Marianne Carniak and Dick Williams) I would opt for the RIA. Marianne was emphatic and said she has had to do too much work on the Taurus 1911s to get them to function properly. To date, my RIA has been great! Regards, Richard:dope:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Taurus

Don't have any experience with RIA but I love my Taurus. Had a three pound trigger right out of the box. I have a loaded lightweight Springfield Champion with the Novak night sights on it but I shoot better with the straight eights on the Taurus. Just a tad bit faster to get on target with the Taurus.

What kind of sights are on the RIA?

·
Registered
661 Posts
I compared the RIA and Taurus side by side and bought the Taurus. I have not regretted the purchase of the PT1911. Very good gun for the money, has almost all of the bells and whistles that you would want. Mine came with a 4.25 lb trigger pull, very slight creep, crisp break. Add to that the forged frame and slide, what's not to like. The finish is no worse than the RIA and I think a little better. I also own a Kimber Pro Carry II. The Taurus isn't quite up to Kimber standards but it doesn't miss the mark by much. I'd go for the Taurus.YMMV

·
Registered
80 Posts
Richard said:
After speaking to my two gunsmiths (Marianne Carniak and Dick Williams) I would opt for the RIA. Marianne was emphatic and said she has had to do too much work on the Taurus 1911s to get them to function properly. To date, my RIA has been great! Regards, Richard:dope:
With your signature I'm not sure you would give an unbias opinion....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I like my pt1911 it is VERY accurate. Well built the slide to frame fit is as tight as I have seen any 1911. with a 1000rds through it without so much as a hic-up i can see this is going to be a very nice gun in the years to come. Dont take the word of someone that has the nerve to bash a gun that they have never even owned or throughly tested themselves or base their opinion on second hand information.

check out the magazine article in "The Complete Book of Autopistols" #40 on the Pt1911 it has two two-tone Hk USP's on the cover. They tested the pt1911 and have an article on it.

Also people may say Taurus customer service leaves a lot to be desired. I have sent two different guns to them and got them back in a very reasonable timeframe. Show me a company that has never had an issue with service.

At least Taurus stands behind their products FOREVER it is a gun your grand children can have and if they have a problem 50 years from now Taurus will still fix it.

Why do you think most gun stores say they cant keep them in stock at $500
Hyatt Guns in Charlotte sells theirs for $679 too much but they rip everyone off on all their guns.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Out of the two, get the RIA. HOWEVER..... DON'T GET EITHER!!!

RIA: The company in itself is a cheap knock-off (of RRA), and the guns I have worked with have been a little bit finicky and unreliable. Could be wrong though. 'Nuff said.

Taurus: THESE GUNS ARE S#@%! :barf: On the RC scale of hardness, a diamond is around 70. A stainless steel 1911, ex. Kimber Stainless TLE II, is around a 63. A carbon steel gun, ex. SW model 29, is about a 58. Taurus gunmeatal? About a 42. A FINGERNAIL? ABOUT A 22! The warranty looks good on paper, but you have to ship the gun to BRAZIL whenever something goes wrong, and it will do so A LOT, so be prepared to part with your gun for 4 months at a time. In addition to all of that, plus the ILS lock, (at least, a cheap, passive-agressive incarnation of an internal lock), their guns rust like you would not believe! But what really stops me from liking Taurus is the fact that they are liars. Kimber advertizes their guns as "custom". Not entirely true, but they do add on the most popular mods out there, so I'll take it. But Taurus says they add "over $2,100 in accesories" to their 1911s, but they're full of it. I wouldn't pay $100 for their bastardization of the 1911. John M. Browning is rolling in his grave right now. I don't care who gets pissed at me for saying it, but when you see a Taurus, RUN AWAY! :mad:

However, I don't want to be a downer, so let me offer some alternatives. Springfield Armory's Gi .45 or Mil-Spec guns are amazing, and cheaper than most RIA or Taurus guns. You could even save up an extra hundred or so and get yourself a Kimber Stainless II, SW1911, or one of Springfields "Loaded" models. Get one used if you have to.

Good luck,
K4E
PS, Richard, I dig the signature.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
I would have the agree with Kimber4ever on this one. Save up the money and get the better gun. If it is going to be something that I am going to bet my life on I will not buy until I can afford the best, or what I would consider the best. About the only thing that I would buy a RIA for is a plinker. As for the Taurus, my friend bought one, and we both liked it. Now that I read more about it and see what it takes to have something done under warranty I would stay away. I belive that a gun is only as good as the company that backs it. If you have to send a weapon out of the country for customer service you are setting youself up for a dissapointment. I would absolutely reccomend the Springfield. There is alot to be said for the fact that smiths normally do the most custom work on Springfield and Colt. Don't settle for less just so you can have something now. I have made that mistake quite a few times and had to learn the hard way. Good luck to you.

Adam

·
Registered
73 Posts
>Kimber4Ever wrote:
>Taurus: THESE GUNS ARE S#@%! On the RC scale of hardness, a diamond >is around 70. A stainless steel 1911, ex. Kimber Stainless TLE II, is around a >63. A carbon steel gun, ex. SW model 29, is about a 58. Taurus gunmeatal? >About a 42. A FINGERNAIL? ABOUT A 32!

Looking at the Brownells catalog it lists the Caspian frames at Rc 24. There's no way they're softer than a FINGERNAIL! Les Baer slides are listed at an Rc of 40.

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
There is not a thing wrong with the RIA/Armscor line of pistols. I have 15 as of now and have not had one problem at all with any of them. They do not get sent out of the country for warranty work but to Nevada. With a lifetime warranty you cannot go wrong!!!! I have nothing against a high dollar 1911 but all of my RIA/Armscor pistols shoot every bit as well as they do!!! Most people who put down these weapons have never even spent any time with one. Try one you just might like it or then maybe you will be afraid to admit to it!!!!:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

I have at one time or another had just about every make of 1911 out there so I am not being biased. Just my opinion as how I see it.:rock: :rock: :rock:

The 1911 pistol is just like the Chevy and Ford debate!!!! But then we all know that Chevy is better!!!!:biglaugh:

Just kidding guys!!!:rock:

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
What is it exactly that makes a production pistol a "BETTER" GUN. :confused:

Pistol - the arguments about forged frames versus cast frames. but many tote the VALUE of pistols like STI or DW as being ALL THAT! - STI has cast frames and the are made from the same casting that go into RIA pistols. DW has cast frames.

Internal parts. - Now here is the argument of MIM versus NON MIM parts -(I have made the argument myself about SIG 1911's)

but SA is BETTER pistol :scratch: - it has all internal and small parts as MIM as well Colt has many MIM parts.

Fit and Finish - here is the argument of machining marks and the like - yet one may be willing to take a brillio pad or better yet sand paper to a finish on a $700 - $900 pistol and call it CUSTOMIZING. Or how about spending $1500 or more for a petina finished WWI 1911 with many nicks - shakes - rattles and rolls - BUT argue about the finish on a $400 pistol.

Match versus non match barrels - I really like this one - cause the weekend range shooter has the grip and stance technigues down to such a fine art - to do 2.5 inch groups - shooting at 10 - 15 yards - with the match barrels in the $3500.oo pistols - and brag about it. (I brag about getting a 1.5 inch group at 15 yards at 60 years old!).

Now I am a 1911 JUNKIE - have more than I need and more than I ought to! Most are springers - many are RIA and 1 or 2 of SEVERAL other roll marks. I have been shooting 1911's since I was 19 years old - - - (now here is the qualifier) -For ME - 8 rounds - "bang" 8 times - 2.5 INCH GROUP = CRITICAL MASS + no service issues after 1000's of rounds = GREAT PISTOL.

AWESOME PISTOL = any of the above that need service and I get it done with ONE phone call - to and from shipping paid for and I get the pistol back in less than 20 days. = RIA TACTICAL -AVERAGE PRICE $425.00 compared to - SA LOADED - AVERAGE PRICE $750.00

I have paid the difference cause I wanted to own the SA rollmark -

Is the SA a better pistol - NO! AWESOME PISTOL - YES!!! JUST LIKE THE RIA TACTICAL IS AN AWESOME PISTOL:rock:

YOUR money - CHOOSE WISELY!!!!:)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just don't think people get what I am asking. I am not looking for a CCW because I already have a few. I usually carry my Kel Tec because it is small and has a few thousand rounds without more than 1 ftf which was the ammo. I hunt deer with a raging bull .454. I plink/Target with a ruger MK II. I want a 1911 I will actually shoot. I am not going to die if it dosent fire! I just want a nice pistol to take to the range and shoot very well. I want a sweet 1911 that I can count on that won't hiccup too much. I want a fairly tricked out 1911, but I am not willing to drop much over $600 on it. I did find a Kimber Custom II for $650, but I am hearing that they are Jam-O-Matics. I lime my G.I. Springfield, but that is not to take to the range, It's more a display gun b/c of it's brother's history. I just want a solid built shooter that hits where I point it. I also don't mind customizing one myself since I actually like to tear them down and work on them alot. I actually enjoy cleaning/bonding with my weapons. I even clean them when they are clean! I consider myself proficient with a weapon so I would not enjoy some junk that can't shoot as good as I can. I don't mind a gun without an "it" name as long as it can perform as well as the "it" name guns! We are not wearing these in a fashion show so who cares what the name on them is. The reason I considered RIA is because It felt nice in my hand. The Taurus felt sweet, but their consumer service isn't very well liked. Many people laugh at my CCW's A Kel Tec P.357, and a P32, but I can rely on their customer service. My P357 shoots 2" groups at 15yards. I am always curuious with the new guy's stuff. I don't like gun snobs who sneer at other less wealthy gun owners guns because of the name. If it's a pi$$ing contest I have shot stuff that prolly cost more than their car! <-- Thanks to your tax dollars! Please no more name bashing because of cost. Please just point me in the rite direction.

As of now I am not really considering a Taurus anymore. My dealer/buddy warned me after his broke. I am considering a few options. The RIA for $425, Kimber custom $650, Daly $500, or Just wait till the next gun show and see what I like. Any Ideas there?

P.S. Sorry for the rant. Thanks for the useful advice I have gotten so far!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
js2013 said:
>Kimber4Ever wrote:
>Taurus: THESE GUNS ARE S#@%! On the RC scale of hardness, a diamond >is around 70. A stainless steel 1911, ex. Kimber Stainless TLE II, is around a >63. A carbon steel gun, ex. SW model 29, is about a 58. Taurus gunmeatal? >About a 42. A FINGERNAIL? ABOUT A 32!

Looking at the Brownells catalog it lists the Caspian frames at Rc 24. There's no way they're softer than a FINGERNAIL! Les Baer slides are listed at an Rc of 40.
Sorry, mistyped. A fingernail as about a 22, give or take. I'll go back and correct that in my earlier post. And yes, Baer makes softer alloy slides, but they are somehow able to take quite a beating. Taurus pistols are definitively not. Try taking a Taurus slide and pressing into it (not rubbing or scratching it) with say, a pair of tweezers or a steel file. It'll scratch and marr, unlike other, better made guns like Baer.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I bought a new PT1911, then I bought a new RIA & then, a few weeks ago, along came a High Standard 1911! We all know about the extras the PT has, & except for the grips & a slight adjustment of the sear spring, I haven't changed a thing. This pistol is a great shooter. 5000+ rounds since August & still going strong. I have modified the RIA quite a bit. It was good out of the box, but I wanted to try my hand at a little gunsmithng. About all I haven't changed is the barrell & bushing. So far, everyhing's working out. The RIA is a very good firearm. I haven't had a chance to spend much time with the HS, only 500 round or so, but it seems to work pretty good also. I believe that I'll keep all 3 of these guns. I would recomend any of them to anyone who is interested in a lower priced 1911.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts