1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to start shooting in IDPA and IPSC (maybe) and I want to upgrade my present 1911 to a Taurus PT1911.
I have looked over the rule books for IPSC and IDPA and it left me still wondering what division this 1911 could participate in because of it's "custom features" such as checkered front strip and serrations on front slide so I figure I would ask the pros.
Not that I am going to be competitive or anything but I dont want to have to compete with "race guns".

Thanks in Adance
Jim

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
"Upgrade to a Taurus" just doesn't sound right for some reason. :biglaugh:

But to answer your question, it should be legal for both sports as long as it meets weight requirement for IDPA (41 oz.).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You evil man, I guess it would be an upgrade since I am shooting a RIA right now. Quit laughing, it's been a really good operator since day one, I am just unsure of how it would compete so that's why on my limited budget the PT would be an upgrade. :grumble: ;)

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Sorry, I just couldn't help it. :D

TREEGUNNER said:
I guess it would be an upgrade since I am shooting a RIA right now.
I guess in this case it sure would be. ;)

·
Registered
21,913 Posts
It would be fine if you could get one. Granted that it works.
Have you seen the PT actually available for sale yet?

Otherwise all you need is a holster, at least three eight round magazines, belt carriers for two of them, a concealment garment (and some dryfire practice drawing your gun from under it) the usual eye and ear protection, and you are all set for IDPA CDP.

For USPSA/IPSC Limited-10, add some ten round magazines and a couple more mag carriers so you can start a long field stage with plenty of ammo at hand.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They were supposed to be released last week but I haven't heard anything on it yet. My dealer is going to talk to his supplier today to get an update and get one in for me, otherwise I will just have to start out with my RIA. It runs great and I am sure it would be work just fine but I'm afraid these compitions may kill her.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
TREEGUNNER said:
You evil man, I guess it would be an upgrade since I am shooting a RIA right now. Quit laughing, it's been a really good operator since day one, I am just unsure of how it would compete so that's why on my limited budget the PT would be an upgrade. :grumble: ;)
Your RIA will serve you fine for IDPA (CDP division) and USPSA (the new single stack division) as long as its reliable. I'd suggest you get a decent holster, a couple good mag pouches and some good magazines and have a go at whichever discipline interests you the most. Shoot the RIA until you can afford something better and built just to your liking.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Tokarev said:
Your RIA will serve you fine for IDPA (CDP division) and USPSA (the new single stack division) as long as its reliable. I'd suggest you get a decent holster, a couple good mag pouches and some good magazines and have a go at whichever discipline interests you the most. Shoot the RIA until you can afford something better and built just to your liking.
You can also run in the USPSA Limited-10 division with the 1911 if you want to get classified as the SSD (Single Stack Division) is not being tracked for classification. You can shoot L-10 with 7 or 8 round mags, but you'll eventually want to have 10s to help minimize mag changes. L-10 gives you more options for holsters, but you can use your SSD or IDPA CDP gear.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just spoke with my local gunshop and he said the Tuarus rep said not to hold our breath they haven't even went into production yet:mad:
He told me to check back about dec., so I guess the RIA will get the testing of her life!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Why are you hesitant to shoot the RIA in IDPA. It ought to work just fine.
This is not a bulls eye league type of shooting. If it shoots where you point it than any 1911 should suffice. I kind of like shooting a gun that costs half as much as some of the others at the range and than shoot just as well as they do.
Yes, i am also curious about the taurus 1911.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts