1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read about some feed problems and believe it is due to the magazine problem. I cycle all my ammunition through the gun before I carry it for defense (plus a whole lot of anything). I am having trouble have the shell cycle into the chamber smoothly. I get hangups where a shell try to feed (half out of the magazine) and a shell is hung on the slide. I put a 1/4 of a drop of gun oil on the feed and checked the magazines but have the same problem. The magazines are factory. I have not yet had it hangup while shooting but if it is a problem I want to fix it. Thanks.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I haven't had that happen to mine even once!
What kind of ammo are you shooting?? Keep in mind that 1911's were designed to shoot 230g FMJ's. So whatever rounds you are shooting, keep in mind that the closer the round is shaped to a 230g hardball, the better it'll cycle.
I've shot all kinds of ammo through mine, even the 185 hydra-shoks, which are supposed to be notorious for hanging up 1911's, but I spent an entire 25 rd box of them through mine with no problem. Mine even shoots the notorious "flying ashtray" 200g Gold Dots, which almost look like theres no taper at all the HP is so gaping huge!
PT1911's are supposed to come from the factory with polished feed ramps to help this.
Also, when you put a new mag in, are you pulling the slide all the way back, and then releasing it, letting it slam shut on the round at full speed? I have seen some people at the range pull their slide back, then hold onto the slide and "ride" it back closed slowly, which usually seems to get the rounds pointed in the wrong direction when they are shucked off the mag and get hung against the side of the barrel/frame/ejection port. Don't let that slide slam shut with no ammo in it. The ammo is designed to slow down the slide to the correct speed when you release it.
Also, how old is yours? Been shot a lot? Magazine clean? Magazine spring and recoil spring still have enough tension?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damascus. Thanks. I am knew to semi-auto pistols so I am still learning how to operate it. I do not let it "slam" closed but will do that from now on. I keep all my weapons cleaned and oiled. I use UMC 230gr FMJ.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Remember, don't let it slam shut without live ammo ;)
The 230g FMJ UMC's are as close to a round as you can get for what the 1911 was designed for... weird that you'd have jamming problems on those :scratch:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts