1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys my name is Eddie and I just recently aquired a used taurus pt 1911 with 4 clips and 100 rds of practice ammo for $390.00(thought it was a good deal) and was wondering what some suggested upgrades would be worth purchasing?

I have been hearing good things about wilson combat mags but don't really know what else would be a good upgrade(this is my first 1911 style pistol). Any help/suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Eddie,i have 3 taurus 1911's and if yours shoots and functions correctly there isnt anything it needs.Wilson mags work in my perfectly in all 14 of my 1911's so get yourself a few and shoot the hell out of it.
Brett

·
Registered
317 Posts
I went with a one piece guide rod myself. Mind kept unscrewing for some reason so I went to brownells.com and picked one up pretty reasonable. Other than that the PT1911 runs great. I would still have mine but I wanted an officers for CCW.

Good luck,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.

·
Registered
73 Posts
was wondering what some suggested upgrades would be worth purchasing?
Shoot up the 100 rounds you've got, buy some more and shoot them up. Then decide if there's anything you don't like about the PT-1911. My PT-1911 was my first 1911 as well - I've never found the need to do anything at all to it other than put some rosewood grips on it. I did buy some 10 round Chip McCormick magazines to use at the range.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I put slim rosewood grips on mine, bought 4 Chip McCormick mags, bought a MS VMII for CC, and shot the heck out of it. Doesn't need anything else except TLC and range time! :rock:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replys! Yeah I need to get to the range soon, I haven't even shot it yet...But I did order 2 stainless 8rd wilson combat mags and some Pachmayr grips today so I can't wait to get them and get to the range sometime soon!

·
Registered
881 Posts
I have the stainless AR version. So far I have changed out the mainspring housing to a Smith & Alexander Magwell/MSH one piece combo. I have also changed grips since the flat bottom grips look best with that magwell and these grips also cover the MSH pin giving it a more finished look...at least in my opinion.
I dehorned the gun, chamfered the slide lock lever pin hole and flattened the pin flush with the frame. I added a laser/light for home defense use.
Mine has had none of the broken thumb safety problems mentioned on several forums, including this one. I now have several thousand rounds through mine.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Beware the Ambi thumb safety

My PT1911 ambi kept coming apart at the range.....between 1 & 10 magazines it would be either half-way out or somewhere on the floor....

Finally solved by installing new single side thumb safety.

Had a series of miseries detailed elsewhere on this site, including floating sights at both ends.

Finally, after EIGHT range trips, it now has TWO additional successful journeys. I like the way it handles and seems to be settling down. The first 1000 rounds have required multiple returns to my 'smith for attention.

It's beginning to look shootable since stuff quit falling off. The next 1000 rounds will tell the story.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Mine has been flawless through nearly 5K of mixed rounds. Hasn't gone back, nor "seen a gunsmith". I replaced the magazines with Wilson Combat pieces for peace-of-mind, not for failures.

Ambi-safety (I'm a southpaw) has withstood normal usage, as have the sights. Good luck with yours.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts