1911Forum banner
721 - 740 of 807 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
So here is mine. Started off as a plain jane basic blued pt1911. I started by sanding sides to include the beavertail with 600 grit sandpaper all in one direction giving it that machined look. I polished the barrel and also polished the barrel bushing. I then added the following parts by fusion firearms: K-hole trigger, main spring cap, magwell, stainless torx grip screws. Also added a skeletonized hammer from my local gun shop, a Wilson Combat heavy duty main spring, Raasco grips, and a pierce finger grip insert. Not pictured are 3 Chip McCormick mags w/pads, a kydex holster for the gun and a separate for the mags both in a carbon fiber finish. Enjoy the pics!

Beautiful. Once done sanding, did you have to do anything to protect the bare finish?

·
Registered
18 Posts
That is one great looking pistol bubba! Nice work.
thank you

Beautiful. Once done sanding, did you have to do anything to protect the bare finish?
I have not yet, have heard you need to do a clear coat from duracoat or ceracoat. I'd recommend clearing it if it would be out in the weather/elements. So far I haven't had any issue but will definitely give you guys an update if I run into any.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Many years ago I put a super high polish on an Astra 400, finishing the polish with red jewelers rouge. It wasn't prone to rusting; I think I polished the pores shut. That was before the bake-on ceramic finishes were developed. Ceramacoat (sp?) is great stuff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pt 1911 ss

This is my PT. Everything but frame slide and barrell is Willson Combat except the grips they are Crinson Trace Master series. 3.5# pull.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
After buying a gorgeous Les Baer earlier this week I pulled my PT out of the safe this morning with the intention of taking some pictures and listing it for sale to recoup some of my costs. I got it new the first year they came out (2005?), and I always loved it, never a problem, tack driver. Then I started looking at it and appreciating how it has features that even my LB doesn't have... extended mag release, checkered trigger guard. Love those Heinie sights, even better than the Heinie's that are on my Dan Wesson, the front sight is wider with a bigger dot. I wiped it down and put it back in the safe. I'll just have to make a few more payments to Visa...

·
Registered
3 Posts
While I am trying to get a picture up I was wondering if any one has had problems with the safety falling apart during shooting?
Mine is starting to have an issue with the ambi safety sepperating. Is this what you are talking about? If so did you ever find a remedy to the problem?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just Picked Up Today

Just picked her up today. The grips were left by my father-in-law after he passed. Bro-in-law has the Commander that these came from. He didn't want them, liked the Pachys better. Hoping to be able to get back a holster I sold to a friend to go with it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Not going to get crazy with it (just yet), but would the finish on the slide be considered "parkerized"? If it is, then I should just have to degrease it if I want to duracoat/ceracoat correct?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey thanks man. For removing it...ALOT OF PATIENCE! :biglaugh: But no really, I just used sand paper. Been a year ago & the cerakote has held up well. It was simple to do really as far as removing the lettering, just takes time since the Taurus engravings are pretty deep.

I taped off the front & rear cocking serrations, then put the slide in a padded vise. Started with 150 grit and just started sanding trying to keep the motion straight back & forth. Then once I got most of the lettering down I moved up to 400 grit, then 600, then 1000, & finished it off with 2000 grit. It came out with a mirror finish. I put a little drop of oil every now & then as I sanded but I dont feel that its a necessity. After that I just used my airbrush kit that I've had for other projects(cars, trailers, etc) & sprayed all the parts after a full disassembly & let them cure then slapped it all back together. And I LOVE it. Some people cringe at the thought of sanding a good slide but once you get started kind of have to keep going. But its really easy just takes a little courage. Sorry for the long post & hopes this helps you or anybody else. Any more questions feel free to pm me.

Thanks.
Now I definitely want to try this.

721 - 740 of 807 Posts