1911Forum banner

Would you trust your life with a Taurus PT1911?

• yes

Votes: 151 70.9%
  • no

Votes: 62 29.1%
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have one with over 3000 rounds through it. Like others have said it eats everything and goes bang when I pull the trigger. More accurate then I and all for $500.00.

Todd

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Love my stainless

However, I wish someone would develop a practical hydraulic shock absorber to someway put on the back of the grip! That BANG sure does stir up my arthritic joints.

Haven't kept up with it but would estimate I've put approximately 500 rounds through mine without a single hiccup....mixed breed of ammo including reloads from local factory but mostly Blazer Brass. It's never failed me yet. I would certainly trust my life with it at this point in time.

By the way, I think the "Billboard" adds to the overall appearance of the gun.......but I've always had a pride of ownership in what I buy.........each to his own.

Trijicon, sure like the looks of yours. Top target has to either be from a vise or at a range of three feet??!! Mighty fine patterns........

·
Registered
89 Posts
Trijicon, sure like the looks of yours. Top target has to either be from a vise or at a range of three feet??!! Mighty fine patterns........
Thanks ! :)

1st target was at 7 yards standing and 2nd target was 10 yards standing... lol, no vice or bags used but I did have my crimson trace grips turned on :rock:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thanks ! :)

1st target was at 7 yards standing and 2nd target was 10 yards standing... lol, no vice or bags used but I did have my crimson trace grips turned on :rock:
Ya' damned cheater! :biglaugh:

Seriously though, I'd love to have some of those. Too pricey at the moment for my pocketbook though.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I would like to update my post with a range report. I have 300 rounds through the pistol and the only problem is the magazines(I think). I did a search on this forum and found out my problem. The Taurus mags are faulty. The pistol would not feed the last round of my mag(5 times) or it would not lock back after the last round(1 time). Then I had a failure to feed, half of the round was stuck in the mag and the other half was entering the chamber. Luckly, I had two Chip mags with me and the gun fuctioned flawlessly with those mags. I will perform a thorough cleaning and take the pistol back this week and fire another 100-150 rounds through it.

Hopefully it is a mag issue. I was shooting Lawman and Remington 230 FMJ.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My experiences with them were bad. I've owned a Milenium Pro PT-145 that had to go back to Taurus twice and still wouldn't feed HP reliably. Sold it at a huge loss. I tried my my luck with the PT1911 as a possible truck gun and it would never feed right either. Went back to Taurus after 300rds of several different types of ammo and different types of mags. Got it back nearly 3 months later and it's working after 200 rounds but the safety has worked it's way loose? Did some research on the forums and this is a widespread problem. It seems that some work and some don't. Not something I'd trust my life with.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Mine hasn't failed me yet, in fact I just bought another with the Bulls Head Grips, should be here next week and I got 400rds waiting :rock:. I do know a guy who had the safety come loose on his which he fixed with an STI extended thumb safety, it dropped in with no fitting needed.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Never had any problems with mine. I carry it all the time. Lost count of how many trouble free rounds. Over 3k. Runs any ammo flawlessly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
:dope:The ONLY differance between my PT1911 and my SA TRP Operator is about $800 and the fact that my PT1911 has NEVER had a FTF of any kind. I can't say the same about the SA. The SA groups slightly smaller, but I consider it a finicky range gun.

·
Registered
610 Posts
My experiences with them were bad. I've owned a Milenium Pro PT-145 that had to go back to Taurus twice and still wouldn't feed HP reliably. Sold it at a huge loss. I tried my my luck with the PT1911 as a possible truck gun and it would never feed right either. Went back to Taurus after 300rds of several different types of ammo and different types of mags. Got it back nearly 3 months later and it's working after 200 rounds but the safety has worked it's way loose? Did some research on the forums and this is a widespread problem. It seems that some work and some don't. Not something I'd trust my life with.
I glossed over the PT1911, thinking, wrongly, that you were referring to the 145. My apologies.

I have an even dozen Taurus pistols, some nearly 25 years old, or older. NONE of them had any problems. Some have passed the 10K mark. ALL pistols have some JHP that they won't feed, even my Sigs, Colts, SA, Kimber, S&W, and HK.

The problems with the safety were batch related, and have been eliminated pretty well. I own one, and it's been flawless at over 2K rounds. With all of the crap spewed about them, it's virtually impossible for me to have as many flawless Taurus guns, if the posters are accurate.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Just an observation...

Reported problems with Taurus, Kimber, Colt, Springfield, and other handguns generally include one that claims "all the reports" or "many people say" with regards to problems with their particular model. Something to consider - one person may post the same complaint about their gun on 5 or more gun related discussion boards - usually a cut and paste of their original post. I know I belong to about 10 firearms discussion boards and have seen this happen more often then not...

So let's see - Colt does have problems with the frame to slide fit; Taurus has problems with the ambi safety; Kimber's that look good on the outside but terribly finished on the inside; complaints about customer service abound.

Is it really as bad as claimed? Gun makers are like any other manufacturer - when they introduce a new product, no matter how much R&D and testing they do there are going to be problems. How they respond to them (i.e. Customer Service) is the question; as one example it seems that Colt is now beginning to realize that they have an issue with the CNC machine settings that are causing the slide/frame issues.

Customer service in all areas of consumer affairs has been slipping; if you check successful companies, with repeat customers who have a high satisfaction rate you will probably find a great customer service operation in play.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I bought my PT1911 about a year ago. Put night sights and thin Rosewood grips on the blued version. Shot around 1500 rounds thru it since I bought the pistol. Have shot various types from ball round nose to Fed HydraShok HP without a single failure of any kind. It is my primary CC weapon, so yes, I will trust my life to it and do as a matter of fact. :rock:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought a pt1911ar and i love the gun!!! I have had no problems and it is very accurate. It kicks just a little more than others but still great gun. I found a vid on youtube of one of there competition shooters shotting a pt1911 for 10 minutes straight to test its durability. there were about 6 ftl's and i think 4 ftf's but he recodcked and they fired after that. after ten minutes they put a couple thousand rounds through it and it was perfedctly fine. he had some 2nd and 3rd degree burns on his finger but damn!!!! that was a great video. sold me on the gun.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx7HYgTWAsg I would recommend it to anyone. guns and ammo was impressed with it also.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too had problems with the factory mags but I replaced them with wilson mags and have yet to have a problem of any kind with 2-3K rounds through it

·
Registered
12 Posts
I only had one ftf with the stock mags, but I plan to replace them soon anyway.

Edit: It looks like yours came with the hiene sights. I have the same pistol except in stainless finish and it came with Novaks three dots. Different finishes come with different sights now?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've had a PT1911 since they first became available. 1st let me say that I am not a Taurus die-hard. I also have a Para OPS and a Springfield Loaded Target. In the past I had a Colt GM Series 70, a Commander and a Combat Commander. I like this 1911 and have had great luck with it so far. I'd guess it has had about 2K through it. It feeds factory and reloaded FMJ ammo and reloaded LSWC ammo like it was eating candy. I have not fired any JHP ammo through it. It has never failed to feed, fire or eject except for the very first magazine full of ammo. I bought it new and took it straight to the range. I had one light firing pin strike on the first mag. Took it home and cleaned all the factory gunk out of it and it hasn't missed since.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Taurus problems

I've had several Taurus' and all have had some problems. The latest PT1911, had at first problems with the slide stop, which I had to replace with a Wilson Combat. Now I notice the last rds. of Winchester HPs, fail to go completely into battery with the Wilson Combat Mags(brand new), but no problem with the factory Taurus mags! Go figure.. everyone else seems to say the Taurus mags. are no good, but I find I have fewer problems with them than the Wilsons.. maybe Chip McCormicks are better?
To sum it up- No, as it stands I would not trust my life to this one.. every time I think it's running ok, it always seem to to something goofy, and usually on the last rds., with brand new and used mags..

21 - 40 of 66 Posts